chris young teh unbelievable suckfest

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 07:28 AM)
I'll put this here, and i'm obviously not complaining cuz im still pretty happy with quentin...but chris carter is #1 on the baseball america hot sheet and is raking this year

.333/.430/.560 with 19 HR

He's been on some kinda run the last 3 weeks. I'm probably in the minority here. But I'd rather see top prospects that we trade away succeed (as long as it's not for a division rival). I think it adds legitimacy and credibility to your system. I'd imagine it'd make it a lot easier to make trades when teams know that players that originally come through your system have a high success rate. That's why it boggles my mind that Kenny is able to swing as many deals as he does. The guys we end up trading do next to nothing at the ML level. But I ain't mad. Keep doin' yo thing, Kenny!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
Go away.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

I was being serious btw. Claim him for dirt cheap, send him to the minors, and if he gets it going and you have nothing in CF, you've got something. It makes less sense now of course after the Sox just got Rios...

From Rotoworld:

Diamondbacks optioned outfielder Chris Young to Triple-A Reno.

Young's numbers have fallen flat since he signed a five-year, $28 million deal before the '08 season. The 25-year-old had 32 dingers and 68 RBI in 2007, 22 homers and 85 RBI in 2008 and is batting just .194 with seven home runs and 28 RBI in 103 games this season. Trent Oeltjen may enjoy an extended stay in the bigs to help with the lack of depth in the outfield. Ryan Roberts might also see some action at a corner outfield spot. Aug. 10 - 6:06 pm et

Somewhere, Phil Rogers is weeping quietly.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 07:41 PM)
Mike Cameron is a guy who had a pretty rotten year at age 25 as Young seems to be doing. Cameron was .210 / .285 / .336 in 1998. He turned it around pretty nicely, but never really is going to hit .300 and always will strike out.

I'm a little surprised by how Young has struggled. Young's year in Birmingham was ridiculously impressive. Not only did he set extra base hit records, but he got progressively better every month - fewer strikeouts and more walks. I thought he was going to be the kind of guy who makes adjustments and has eye-popping peak numbers....like .290 / .400 / .520 with plus plus defense in Centerfield.

His problems may be mental - maybe he stopped working hard enough when he made it to the big league level, or maybe he got super conservative and he just keeps going back to the same routines because he had early success, even if they were bad habits. Young needs a change of scenery - I think he should go to a pitcher's park so he's not trying to jam the ball out of the park every AB.

Look at his history of strikeouts. This was always a problem for him and I think a good indicator on how a player makes a transition to the MLB. It is by no means a lock but it is fairly accurate.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:32 PM)
The D-Backs just sent Chris Young to AAA. Seriously.

But why didn't KW trade BA instead?!?!?!

He's so stupid for trading Young for Vazquez!!!

He could have/should have gotten him for less!!!

How's that trade looking now everyone?

This is why you shouldn't b**** and moan and whine and carry on like someone stole your child when someone is traded out of AA. Sometimes it comes back to bite you, sometimes it doesn't. And KW has proven to have a pretty good track record when he trades for and away minor leaguers.

Awesome splits, awesome player.

April

AB: 81

AVG: .198

OBP: .261

May

AB: 82

AVG: .159

OBP: .176

June

AB: 65

AVG: .246

OBP: .402

July

AB: 70

AVG: .200

OBP: .313

This place has so many awesome Chris Young threads in the archives that I don't even know where to start.

He's no Chyson Tandler that's for sure, it just goes to show that without that pesky thing we call "pitch-recognition and hand-eye coordination", no amount of "physical" tools will lead to Major league success.

Edited by Requiem Schmuquiem

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
Look at his history of strikeouts. This was always a problem for him and I think a good indicator on how a player makes a transition to the MLB. It is by no means a lock but it is fairly accurate.

That's the biggest reason I was never a Josh Fields fan at all.

QUOTE (Requiem Schmuquiem @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 06:44 PM)
He's no Chyson Tandler that's for sure, it just goes to show that without that pesky thing we call "pitch-recognition and hand-eye coordination", no amount of "physical" tools will lead to Major league success.

Dude, you've been getting banned since I registered here back in 2004. Don't you think that maybe it's time to get a new IP address or something?

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 04:34 PM)
Dude, you've been getting banned since I registered here back in 2004. Don't you think that maybe it's time to get a new IP address or something?

He has done a lot of (idiotic) IP managing to get in and make his 10 posts before he gets banned.