8/4 Games

flavum

Poreda is just a reliever. Probably an above average one, but nothing worth regretting in a deal for Jake Peavy. Peavy is going to be the one to determine if it was a good deal or not. Carter is still far away and Richard's upside doesn't equal Peavy's.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
Poreda is just a reliever. Probably an above average one, but nothing worth regretting in a deal for Jake Peavy. Peavy is going to be the one to determine if it was a good deal or not. Carter is still far away and Richard's upside doesn't equal Peavy's.

Definitely agree. Richard will be good, but still is only a No. 3 starter. Peavy, meanwhile, can be an Ace.

Another thing about Hudson that I find very encouraging is that despite being a strikeout pitcher, he seems to be very efficient (pitch count wise) as well.

Maggs, this seems perfect. He is a typical get ahead in the count pitcher. What more could we ask for?? :notworthy

Dan, if he does not develop at least 1 good secondary pitch he is doomed to be a lifetime reliever. No doubt about it.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 05:01 PM)
Poreda is just a reliever. Probably an above average one, but nothing worth regretting in a deal for Jake Peavy.

This is why i was ok with the deal, I don't think that we gave up much to get a true #1 pitcher. Carter is dominating at a low level but he's also too old and experienced to be pitching at that level, Richard is inconsistent but could be a good #3 or even a #2 if he reaches his max potential, we all know what Russell brings to the table, a big fastball and thats it. Poreda just doesn't have anything other than a great fastball. I didn't want to jinx him when he was in our organization or be overly critical of him but I've always seen him as a reliever. He really just doesn't have anything other than one dominant pitch with flashes of a decent slider. Even if he could add a changeup he still just doesn't have enough offspeed stuff to be a starter.

If however we had included Hudson in the deal I would not have been very happy. He has 4 pitches right now and has the potential to be a top of the rotation type guy. He has a huge ceiling while none of the others really do.

San Diego got quantity, not quality in their return haul for Peavy.

We may need Hudson as the #4 a few days from now.

6 K's thru almost 4 innings, NASTY!!! But his pitch count is a little high (51 so far). He will probably go 7 if he can keep pitching well. BHam up 2-0 as Cook left the yard.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 01:51 AM)
This is why i was ok with the deal, I don't think that we gave up much to get a true #1 pitcher. Carter is dominating at a low level but he's also too old and experienced to be pitching at that level, Richard is inconsistent but could be a good #3 or even a #2 if he reaches his max potential, we all know what Russell brings to the table, a big fastball and thats it. Poreda just doesn't have anything other than a great fastball. I didn't want to jinx him when he was in our organization or be overly critical of him but I've always seen him as a reliever. He really just doesn't have anything other than one dominant pitch with flashes of a decent slider. Even if he could add a changeup he still just doesn't have enough offspeed stuff to be a starter.

If however we had included Hudson in the deal I would not have been very happy. He has 4 pitches right now and has the potential to be a top of the rotation type guy. He has a huge ceiling while none of the others really do.

San Diego got quantity, not quality in their return haul for Peavy.

No way in hell Richard becomes a #2, at absolute max he's an average #3 but it's far more likely that he ends up a passable #4/5. Don't be blinded by the good stretch he's on because his stuff is very mediocre. I definitely agree with your last statement though.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)
Is there a plan to bring him up? I had not seen that.

Not necessarily a plan, but Rick Hahn mentioned him as a possible starter until Peavy is ready. If he pitches Saturday, it'll be on three days rest, so he probably wouldn't go 6-7 innings tonight.

...Just thinking--maybe they'll pitch Contreras on Saturday since he only went 66 pitches tonight, and the 5th starter will go Sunday. I'd just prefer Contreras get his walking papers.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
No way in hell Richard becomes a #2, at absolute max he's an average #3 but it's far more likely that he ends up a passable #4/5. Don't be blinded by the good stretch he's on because his stuff is very mediocre. I definitely agree with your last statement though.

A 94 mph fastball combined with Petco? He could give some really good numbers for a few years.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 06:22 PM)
I am assuming that Torres or Carrasco will be going on Saturday. I was thinking Hudson on Sunday if Contreras is dropped from the rotation. I don't think they'd have Hudson make his MLB debut on 3 days rest, but what do I know?

Going in place of Jose, that I could believe.