Dexter Carter's 1st Start in Fort Wayne

SoxFan1

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 12:35 AM)
I wish him the best.

Me too, but I think he was over-hyped by this board. He was pitching low-A ball and he's 1. old for the league and 2. has a ton of experience in a major college program. Frankly he should have been mowing those guys down. Doesn't take much more than a dominant fastball and one passable off speed pitch to rack up huge K #'s in that league. Looking at his WHIP, and BAA, not to mention his HR rate, I just wasn't so hot on him as a big time prospect. I think that he'll be lucky to make it to the big leagues and be anything more than a 4/5 type guy. That is IF he makes it to the show. It is entirely possible that he'll really start to get knocked around once he advances. Not sure he's got the mental aspects of pitching up to par.

I am glad though that we were able to take a 13th round pick and use him as a bargaining chip to swing a major deal.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 03:52 AM)
Me too, but I think he was over-hyped by this board. He was pitching low-A ball and he's 1. old for the league and 2. has a ton of experience in a major college program. Frankly he should have been mowing those guys down. Doesn't take much more than a dominant fastball and one passable off speed pitch to rack up huge K #'s in that league. Looking at his WHIP, and BAA, not to mention his HR rate, I just wasn't so hot on him as a big time prospect. I think that he'll be lucky to make it to the big leagues and be anything more than a 4/5 type guy. That is IF he makes it to the show. It is entirely possible that he'll really start to get knocked around once he advances. Not sure he's got the mental aspects of pitching up to par.

I am glad though that we were able to take a 13th round pick and use him as a bargaining chip to swing a major deal.

Very good post.

3.1 IP, 6 R, 9 H, 3 BB, 5 K

Brandon MaCarthy, Neal Cotts and Gio Gonzalez struck out a lot of A-ball hitters, too.

Big deal. Dex Carter needs to prove he's Corwin Malone before Padres annoint as anything "next"

QUOTE (Fedor @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
Brandon MaCarthy, Neal Cotts and Gio Gonzalez struck out a lot of A-ball hitters, too.

Big deal. Dex Carter needs to prove he's Corwin Malone before Padres annoint as anything "next"

All three of those guys made it to the majors, and the jury is still out on Gio. I wish I were a fly on EW's wall when he made the Peavy trade. Wonder which of our guys put it over. Seems to me like Padres would have done it for Pareda and Richard alone once Peavy was injured. I think we gave up too much.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Tel Aviv @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
oh Poreda as a starter is perfectly horrible.

Barely touches 94; less movement than advertised; and not much to speak of in terms of off-speed arsenal.

So I ask: where's our Lirianoski?

Jose Contreras?

YIKES! Dex's line tonight: 0.1P, 8 runs, 6 hits, 1 BB, 1 K. :o

Also looks like Poreda is scuffling a bit too since the trade. Yesterday's start vs. Iowa: 5 IP, 3 runs (2 ER), 6 hits, 3 BB, 4 K's, 87 pitches (53 strikes).

QUOTE (CSF @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:20 PM)
YIKES! Dex's line tonight: 0.1P, 8 runs, 6 hits, 1 BB, 1 K. :o

Also looks like Poreda is scuffling a bit too since the trade. Yesterday's start vs. Iowa: 5 IP, 3 runs (2 ER), 6 hits, 3 BB, 4 K's, 87 pitches (53 strikes).

Poreda has some work to do. He has got to learn to hit the strike zone much more consistantly.

QUOTE (CSF @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 09:34 PM)
Carter with a meh outing yesterday: 5 IP, 3 runs, 3 hits, 3 BB, 7 K's.

From Baseball America's Not So Hot Sheet:

Dexter Carter, rhp, Padres: If it were up to Carter, he'd probably want to go back to the South Atlantic League. Carter wowed with a line of 6-2, 3.13 for Kannapolis, which was even more impressive considering he posted 143 strikeouts and just 32 walks in 118 innings. But since being traded to the Padres in the Jake Peavy deal, the 22-year-old has gone 1-2, 9.98, allowing 21 hits and 9 walks in 15 1/3 innings pitched for low Class A Fort Wayne. And Thursday night was Carter's worst outing yet. The 6-foot-6, 195-pound Carter allowed eight runs on six hits while walking one and hitting two batters . . . all in one-third of an inning. On the bright side, SAL managers voted Carter as having the league's best breaking pitch.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 02:01 AM)
Mark Buehrle didn't seem to care. But ya, with that said, I was a big Carter fan.

True, but Mark Buehrle shouldn't have confidence issues at this point in his career. A guy in his second pro season, and first full one, will have a tougher time adjusting.

Man, what the hell happened to Dexter Carter? These are Contreras-like meltdowns.

His line tonight: 2 IP, 9 runs, all earned, 8 hits, 3 BB, 2 K's.

Don't get me wrong; I'm thrilled the Sox got Peavy, but I feel for Dexter. At one time, everybody's wondering why he wasn't getting moved up to High A, and now he's pitching like he should be in rookie ball.

Oh, and Poreda's line from yesterday? Not good either: 4.1 IP, 4 hits, 4 runs, 6 BB, 2 K's.

At least Clayton is giving the Padres some value on their return.