Pods

Rooftop Shots

If I'm not mistaken, Pods signed a one year deal with us. Wasn't sure if there were options with it or not. Anyone hear anything if there is any considerations or talks from KW of any signings of an extension? Or is everything just a wait and see issue and is Hush Hush so as not to cause any distractions?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should just wait. Even if he continues with the pace he's been on for the rest of the season, he won't be ridiculously expensive. See where he's at, see what other options there are, and then make a decision. Pods hasn't put 2 good seasons together back to back in the major leagues, and doing it for the first time at his age would be unusual.

Edited by Dick Allen

Should just wait. Even if he continues with the pace he's been on for the rest of the season, he won't be ridiculously expensive. See where he's at, see what other options there are, and then make a decision. Pods hasn't put 2 good seasons together back to back in the major leagues, and doing it for the first time at his age would be unusual.

Didn't he steal 70 bases in 2004? If 2004 and 2005 weren't good back to back seasons, I don't know what were.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 03:51 AM)
A .313 OBP and an OPS of .677 wasn't good. SB aren't the end all stat.

You got that right, working off of The Book's run values for the stolen base (0.175) and the caught stealing (-0.467), Pods' 70 steals in 2004 were only worth 6.175 runs, which if my runs to wins translation is correct, comes in at less than 1 win.

I love what Pods has been doing this year, but I think it would be a HUGE mistake for KW and the Sox to count on him next year.

I hate statements like this. He's having an unbelievable season. Can't we just enjoy it? Pods will give us a huge discount. Nobody is going to pay big bucks for him, considering he hasn't played great anywhere but Chicago in the past few seasons. Plus we have Danks to come up if Scotty sucks, right?

We can get him cheap. I wouldn't worry about it now if I was Kenny. Pods is going nowhere. Who is going to offer him much more than we will?

We are in the driver's seat on Pods. He was washed up in the eyes of baseball before he returned to the South Side.

Pods to start the year with Danks ready to come up?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 10:06 PM)
I hate statements like this. He's having an unbelievable season. Can't we just enjoy it? Pods will give us a huge discount. Nobody is going to pay big bucks for him, considering he hasn't played great anywhere but Chicago in the past few seasons. Plus we have Danks to come up if Scotty sucks, right?

We can get him cheap. I wouldn't worry about it now if I was Kenny. Pods is going nowhere. Who is going to offer him much more than we will?

We are in the driver's seat on Pods. He was washed up in the eyes of baseball before he returned to the South Side.

Pods to start the year with Danks ready to come up?

I hate statements like "why can't we just enjoy this year?". I am enjoying the hell out of this year, especially lately, and I think it's great Pods has been such an important part of this team, but there was a thread started about extension for him and my brain is able to process on multiple levels so I gave my opinion. Looking back at his career I think it would be a mistake for the Sox to think he's going to have a similar season next year. If they bring him back great, I just want a solid plan B or Pods is plan B.

God, I can't even post my opinion without you jumping down my throat. I am a pretty positive Sox fan, except about Greg Walker, and I post something questioning the logic of bringing back a 30+ OF who has had some injuries and been inconsistent in his career and I get this response?

It seems like Pods has completely changed his approach at the plate, and it has paid off. He is basically putting up Jacoby Ellsbury numbers minus the total SB's.

For what Pods brings to the team, it is hard to match his production for the price the Sox have him for. I could see them bringing him back next year unless the Sox pick up someone like Crawford.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
I love what Pods has been doing this year, but I think it would be a HUGE mistake for KW and the Sox to count on him next year.

Bulls***. Having him in the fold to compete for the spot would be great in a one-year extension, and you couldn't beat him as a 4th OF. His approach is entirely new, and he's thriving.

When healthy, he's always been good.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)
Bulls***. Having him in the fold to compete for the spot would be great in a one-year extension, and you couldn't beat him as a 4th OF. His approach is entirely new, and he's thriving.

^^^^

I'm getting tired of all the f***ing Einsteins around here who get out their calculators and fancy statistics and bash pods. All I know is when he is healthy, we win.

Stick to posting on message boards and let Kenny Williams run this ship. I am so thankful Kenny runs this ship instead of all the Pods,Floyd and Thome bashers.

I don't see the risk in bringing him back for 1 year and $3.5 - 4.0 million. If you wait longer, I think there is a chance you have to go to multiple years on the guy do to another team or teams getting involved. Scottie realizes this is probably his last chance to make any real money in this game, and so I don't think there are going to be any huge discounts given out. The guy has to provide for his family.

But if we offer him something fair, and stick our necks out a bit for him (offering it now, as opposed to the end of the year), I think he would accept it.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
^^^^

I'm getting tired of all the f***ing Einsteins around here who get out their calculators and fancy statistics and bash pods. All I know is when he is healthy, we win.

Stick to posting on message boards and let Kenny Williams run this ship. I am so thankful Kenny runs this ship instead of all the Pods,Floyd and Thome bashers.

Where do I say not bring him back? I say don't count on him. I do not want the Sox retooling this team and hinging their leadoff and CF'er on a guy who doesn't have the greatest track record. Have backup plans or have Pods as the back up plan.

The Sox won a division last year without him based on awesome starting pitching, that's the future of the White Sox, and I think they would be better off trying to get a more consistent leadoff hitter in the fold

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 11:59 PM)
Where do I say not bring him back? I say don't count on him. I do not want the Sox retooling this team and hinging their leadoff and CF'er on a guy who doesn't have the greatest track record. Have backup plans or have Pods as the back up plan.

The Sox won a division last year without him based on awesome starting pitching, that's the future of the White Sox, and I think they would be better off trying to get a more consistent leadoff hitter in the fold

I was not talking about you in particular. I am talking about people who never appreciated Pods from the start (aka the people who still don't understand the CLEE trade)

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 11:01 PM)
I was not talking about you in particular. I am talking about people who never appreciated Pods from the start (aka the people who still don't understand the CLEE trade)

OK, sorry I quoted you, then. As my first post in this thread says, I love what he's doing and there's nothing wrong with snaring vets and have them have a great year for a team. All I am saying is I feel he can't be plan A next year for leadoff, or if he is, Plan B has to be strong.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 11:40 PM)

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 11:53 PM)
^^^^

...when healthy. Why do you guys suppose the org. had to get rid of him in the first place?

I'm fine with bringing him in for another year, but they'd better have a plan B.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
Let's replace a .300 MLB hitter with a .275 AA hitter.

If it were up to the majority of the forum, we would have an outfield of Brian Anderson,Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney.

LOL

I'm just sayin' is all!