I don't remember this board being in this good of a mood...

bmags

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 05:00 PM)
It's hard not to be positive when the team has taken 5/6 games from two of the 'best' teams in baseball and the future still looks brighter than the present.

true but even that 1-6 stretch this board was nowhere near the suicide watch level it usually is.

I was thinking the same thing the other day about how the whole board just seems to be in a really good mood, and it's a pleasant change from the doom and gloom bull we had to read every other post a few months ago. By no means are the Sox perfect, but there are certain things that are fun to follow every day (e.g. Beckham, what will Buerhle do next time out, Peavy's injury updates, etc).

true but even that 1-6 stretch this board was nowhere near the suicide watch level it usually is.

Well, Beckham is the most promising young player we've had on the team since Thomas. His rise through the minors was ridiculous so it built up hype, and aside from his start he's exceeded everyones expectations. Take how he's playing now, then factor in the logic that a player will continue to improve after his rookie season and it's pretty difficult not be excited.

I dont know how much better the guy can get though, what he's doing now is kind of ridiculous ever for a veteran player.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 06:09 PM)
Well, Beckham is the most promising young player we've had on the team since Thomas. His rise through the minors was ridiculous so it built up hype, and aside from his start he's exceeded everyones expectations. Take how he's playing now, then factor in the logic that a player will continue to improve after his rookie season and it's pretty difficult not be excited.

I dont know how much better the guy can get though, what he's doing now is kind of ridiculous ever for a veteran player.

On MVP 05 I was hitting .420 with 123 HRs and 214 RBI with K Griffey JR. It's up to Beckham to top that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
White Sox, 26th in MLB Fielding Percentage at .980.

3rd in total errors committed (leading the entire American League), with 82, trailing only:

1. Washington Nationals, 98

2. Arizona Diamondbacks, 88

Besides moving Dye to DH, where can we get improvement in this area? Signing a leadoff hitter who can play CF at a high level?

Keeping Beckham at 3B, Ramirez at SS and Nix/Getz at 2B?

Or moving Beckham to 2B, leaving Ramirez at SS with Nix and/or Getz traded and a veteran 3B brought in (along the lines of Herbert Perry in 2000)?

Are we sure we wouldn't be better off with Nix playing more against RHP than he has been, because of the clear advantage he provides defensively over Getz? How much can Getz improve defensively?

Finally, with Fields and Viciedo defensively-challenged, dare we come into the season with either one of those players pencilled in as the starter in 2010, if they did make the internal decision to move Gordon over to second?

Fields will hopefully be gone, and I'm figuring 2011 for Dayan's and Mitchell's arrival. I'm up for getting a stopgap 3B, or a CF that is a big upgrade defensively. I think we're stuck with Pods in left for 2010.

You know what would make me happy? Going to the Metrodome and not hearing the embarrassing comments which come out of Hawk and Soxtalk concerning the stadium. It's f***ing pathetic listening to people blaming everything on a the dome. And it irritates me watching games because our players become little women there. They believe the stories of vengeful baseball gods living in the bowels of the HHH dome, and as such, consider no lead safe and every misplay or opportunity wasted as a "here we go again" moment.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 06:29 PM)
You know what would make me happy? Going to the Metrodome and not hearing the embarrassing comments which come out of Hawk and Soxtalk concerning the stadium. It's f***ing pathetic listening to people blaming everything on a the dome. And it irritates me watching games because our players become little women there. They believe the stories of vengeful baseball gods living in the bowels of the HHH dome, and as such, consider no lead safe and every misplay or opportunity wasted as a "here we go again" moment.

Amen. I'm with you all the way on that.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)

For the record, I get the feeling Soxtalk is just as disgusted by what you're complaining about here.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)

Yep, the MetroDome “curse” is the same kind of scapegoat that the Cubs use to justify inadequacy every year. We make our own bed in that stadium; if we play like s*** the results are usually s***ty.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 06:29 PM)

FWIW, Peavy is currently on schedule to pitch in the final series at the Dome, in the last game, on September 2nd. I hope he throws 8 shutout innings to finish off a sweep.

I also hope I s*** bricks of gold.

I want to know why the Tigers and the Indians can beat the Twins more easily than we can...well, I know the answer, wait until we play them at home.

We're almost exactly 50/50 (.500) in the series against them over the last decade, and those results were really skewed from 2001-04...otherwise, we've played them very tough over the last decade.

So even if we keep getting swept there, other teams will take care of them...although I can't imagine they wouldn't be improved with Cabrera having a VERY strong 2nd half and OPS numbers similar to Alexei Ramirez this year. That's a tough line-up with Span, Cabrera, M&M, Kubel and Cuddyer...and then you have Crede as your 7th best offensive player.

But Casilla, D. Young, Tolbert, Buscher, Punto and Gomez have all really killed the Twins offensively (Brendan Harris is a so-so regular, great bench player)...and they still don't have anything resembling an ace or a decent bullpen in front of Nathan.