ChiSox trade Ward and Hopper to Nats?

prochisox

The Nationals added players to their Triple A Syracuse roster on Thursday, acquiring first baseman Daryle Ward and outfielder Norris Hopper from Triple A Charlotte, a White Sox affiliate.

This is Ward's second stint in the Nationals organization. He played for the Major League club in 2006, hitting .308 with six home runs and 19 RBIs before being traded to the Braves on Aug. 31 of that year. Ward was hitting .255 with eight home runs and 36 RBIs for Charlotte.

In stints with Triple A Louisville and Charlotte, Hopper was hitting a combined .293 with 25 RBIs.

http://therocket.mlblogs.com/archives/2009...ard_hopper.html

Clearing space for the Cubans I hope?

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 01:36 PM)
The Nationals added players to their Triple A Syracuse roster on Thursday, acquiring first baseman Daryle Ward and outfielder Norris Hopper from Triple A Charlotte, a White Sox affiliate.

This is Ward's second stint in the Nationals organization. He played for the Major League club in 2006, hitting .308 with six home runs and 19 RBIs before being traded to the Braves on Aug. 31 of that year. Ward was hitting .255 with eight home runs and 36 RBIs for Charlotte.

In stints with Triple A Louisville and Charlotte, Hopper was hitting a combined .293 with 25 RBIs.

http://therocket.mlblogs.com/archives/2009...ard_hopper.html

Clearing space for the Cubans I hope?

Stefan Gartrell was promoted to Charlotte yesterday (see FutureSox forum), so the Hopper trade is making room for him. With Ward, not sure, but it seemed like Charlotte was overloaded with OF/1B or 3B types, so Ward had no place to be. I wouldn't look too much into it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 11:50 PM)
I like Daryle Ward. Didn't have a spot on our team, maybe he’ll get some play with the Nats. Hopper was Wise with less mileage. Not disappointed by either being traded.

But, I don't think Ward was performing well at Charlotte. Anyway since he didn't have a chance for the Sox maybe the move was made to give him an opportunity ot make a big league team again

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)
I like Daryle Ward. Didn't have a spot on our team, maybe he’ll get some play with the Nats. Hopper was Wise with less mileage. Not disappointed by either being traded.

Not really. Hopper is a much superior hitter. Just has no power.