Carlos Quentin...

Greg Hibbard

I know it's only been 16 games since he's been back, but his average has sunk to even worse than it was before the DL, and I'm starting to get concerned. Did we rush him back?

I guess I'm also wondering why people aren't being as tough on Carlos Quentin in 2009 as they were on Paul Konerko in 2008 when the two have had similar situations. Paul had injury woes last year, hits in the low .200s and people were calling for his head despite his proven track record (and it's not like 32 is ancient, after all). Quentin has apparently a bright future ahead of him despite not having very much of a track record, and yet people seem much more willing to give him a pass on a similar average with injury woes this season.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

I can't speak for everyone, but I've said something to the effect that I'm not really happy with him being in the lineup if he's not hitting. Sure he still has power, but he's not in any kind of groove making contact yet.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
What other options do we have.

When Ramirez returns, he can play CF and Pods could move to LF. I know Nix has been brutal defensively, but I'd rather take my chances with a healthy Nix over a hurt Quentin...

if indeed we did rush him back, that is...

Edited by Greg Hibbard

I know it's only been 16 games since he's been back, but his average has sunk to even worse than it was before the DL, and I'm starting to get concerned. Did we rush him back?

I guess I'm also wondering why people aren't being as tough on Carlos Quentin in 2009 as they were on Paul Konerko in 2008 when the two have had similar situations. Paul had injury woes last year, hits in the low .200s and people were calling for his head despite his proven track record (and it's not like 32 is ancient, after all). Quentin has apparently a bright future ahead of him despite not having very much of a track record, and yet people seem much more willing to give him a pass on a similar average with injury woes this season.

Relax. Quentin's swing is still explosive. He missed a lot of time, and even when he played, he played on a bad leg (if not with a still unhealed wrist).

When healthy, Quentin is the best hitter on the team. And that includes Beckham. 2008 wasn't a mirage. Let's hope Q. is not dragged down by injuries.

*says prayer*

Like others have mentioned above, I think he's been swinging the bat rather nicely of late. Honestly I'm surprised Kotsay didn't play for Dye yesterday with the way Dye's been playing the last few games. Quentin seems on the verge of a breakout game and I thought Santana would have been the perfect pitcher to go up against.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
Like others have mentioned above, I think he's been swinging the bat rather nicely of late. Honestly I'm surprised Kotsay didn't play for Dye yesterday with the way Dye's been playing the last few games. Quentin seems on the verge of a breakout game and I thought Santana would have been the perfect pitcher to go up against.

Dye definitely needs a day off. He is impatient at the plate lately, and his defense has been worse than it already had been. And Kotsay is hitting the ball hard, so, why not?

QUOTE (Fedor @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:19 AM)
Relax. Quentin's swing is still explosive. He missed a lot of time, and even when he played, he played on a bad leg (if not with a still unhealed wrist).

When healthy, Quentin is the best hitter on the team. And that includes Beckham. 2008 wasn't a mirage. Let's hope Q. is not dragged down by injuries.

*says prayer*

well put. I'm not worried about him at all. it takes a while to get the timing back on your swing and get comfortable in the batters box after a long layoff. if he still struggles a few weeks down the road then maybe we have to worry a bit.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
well put. I'm not worried about him at all. it takes a while to get the timing back on your swing and get comfortable in the batters box after a long layoff. if he still struggles a few weeks down the road then maybe we have to worry a bit.

When TCQ :headbang :headbang was in his groove last year I liked the way his short quick swing produced a well placed single in RBI situations. Last year when I watched him I thought before his injuries that he could easily hit for a high average as well as power number. He was in the running for rbis and home runs I think that in a good year with everything healed I think he could win the triple crown which has not been done for a while. ANOther feat for a whitesox player :headbang

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
I'm beginning to feel that SoxTalk is concerned about every player no matter how hard they are hitting the ball. When do we get the "Gordon Beckham isn't hitting .400" thread?

If the Beckham thread didn't just get merged I'd totally do this. I don't want to get de-modded and banned though.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 04:08 PM)

I do not believe I was in the group bad mouthing Konerko. I suported paulie and still do nd I also like Dye a lot. I was concerned about CQ only becasue of his foot injury, which I personally am familiar with and knew how long it took me to get healthy again. However, he seems to be doing very well and his bat is coming around nicely. I also think he has done a real decent job in LF since his return.

I'm beginning to feel that SoxTalk is concerned about every player no matter how hard they are hitting the ball. When do we get the "Gordon Beckham isn't hitting .400" thread?

That's not exclusive to Soxtalk, though, but most fans our age and younger. Neurotic and hard to please.

Yankee fans, for instance, haven't felt joy or exhibited sense of good-will toward fellow human beings since, what? 1950s? It's, like, a scientific fact.

When Ramirez returns, he can play CF and Pods could move to LF.

Oh no, not the Alexei to centerfield argument again. Not gonna happen.

CQ does need to start being last year's pre-injury CQ or he's just another one year wonder.