Does Kenny have his eye on Wagner?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)

Did Wagner really say anything all that bad? Sounded to me like he had some reasonable complaints.

I'm not just referring to this instance, but it is just funny in general how pushy, parasitic media spin-doctors get to annoy the f*** out of players seemingly at their every whim and then as soon as a player breaks the typical bulls*** PC attitude he ends up getting roasted in the press. Newsflash: the majority of the media types these days are reactionary scum looking for headlines.

Why should Wagner be answering questions about why his team lost a game he didn't even play in? Doesn't make a lot of sense because no matter what he says he'll draw criticism for either being honest and voicing a concern, or for speaking for someone else on a topic that doesn't concern him, or for sidestepping a question.

CQ doesn't speak to the media very often, and if CQ came right out and told a whole bunch of press people to f*** off and suck his dick, I wouldn't care and would back him just as much as always.

PS it's funny Wagner gets criticism from Philly fans and the Philly media. What about the wife beater over there? Great example for the children, that Brett Meyers...

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)

Wagner has come off as an ass various times in his career, but in that particular instance I think he was in the right. Beltran, Delgado and other players routinely avoiding the media is not very professional. They should be accountable, and he was within his right to mention it, especially when the media is asking for his thoughts on a game where he didn't even affect the outcome.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)
I agree mostly and I also want to say that I was very impressed with Torres as it appears he has the mental capacity to get the most out of what he has. But I do disagree with our lack of other options: we've got Whisler, Egbert, Harrell, Freddy, Count, and Colon for 5th starter duties even if you discount Hudson. And while none of those names can be expected to come in and light the world on fire right now, they're all in Torres' league IMO. I think Harrell has the stuff but control and pitch count will be an issue; Freddy doesn't need a whole lot given his repertoire of offspeed stuff; Colon and Count can at least keep us in fairly high-scoring affairs for 5 innings; Egbert and Whisler might be serviceable too for a few innings here and there. I wouldn't actually say Torres is necessarily a better bet to have success his next time out than any of those guys so in that respect I'd have no problem with it. Each one of those guys could come in, throw a quality start, then give up 8ER in 2IP the next time out and I wouldn't be surprised.

Freddy is done, Colon is on the outs with the organization, and Contreras hasn't been able to find the plate for a while. And neither of those three will be in the Sox organization next year. I agree that Torres isn't that much better than Whisler, Egert, or Harrell, but that also underscores how thin our minor league pitching is at this point. Kenny has traded away A LOT of young pitching talent over the past year and a half (Richard, Poreda, Gio, DLS), and I'm not sure that further depleting that position for two months of a surgically-repaired question mark is a good idea.

I agree that the Sox could potentially benefit from a guy like Wagner, but I'd rather give up a mediocre position player and eat more of Wagner's salary.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
Freddy is done, Colon is on the outs with the organization, and Contreras hasn't been able to find the plate for a while. And neither of those three will be in the Sox organization next year. I agree that Torres isn't that much better than Whisler, Egert, or Harrell, but that also underscores how thin our minor league pitching is at this point. Kenny has traded away A LOT of young pitching talent over the past year and a half (Richard, Poreda, Gio, DLS), and I'm not sure that further depleting that position for two months of a surgically-repaired question mark is a good idea.

I agree that the Sox could potentially benefit from a guy like Wagner, but I'd rather give up a mediocre position player and eat more of Wagner's salary.

I agree in that I'd rather keep Torres for depth. I don't think he'd be a deal breaker because I don't see a team wanting him all that badly, and if the Mets did want him, I'd rather substitute another prospect on more or less equal footing just to keep that depth around. I don't think it would be hard either. If I were the Mets I'd rather have Ely for example, and given this year's situation, if I were Kenny I'd rather give up Ely anyway since we wouldn't look for contributions out of him until at least 2010.