Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
Figgins is 32 years old and will likely be looking for a 4 year deal worth around what Juan Pierre got in '07. Do you really want to pay a 34 or 35 year old Chone Figgins $8M-$10M annually?

I said the same thing about Dotel. He hasn't been that bad. He's not getting paid as much, but still, Figgins can still play.

In this economy, he probably won't get what he wants anyways unless Kenny tries to recruit him like a college football coach.

I'd say 3 years $21-24 million should get it done.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
Oddly enough, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Dye end up in Toronto in the off-season if Rios is traded.....

I would. After these last 2 seasons Dye is still going to be pretty expensive for a team like Toronto. And don't forget that Toronto is still obligated to pay BJ Ryan who they released and also Lyle Overbay, who is going to be very hard to move IMO.

If Toronto adds a bat, I expect it to be more of the Hideki Matsui variety, i.e. a slugger on a very low base salary, possibly with incentives. Especially if they still have Overbay.

The other thing to consider too is that if the Jays are now forced to deal Halladay over the offseason, there's really no reason to add a premium piece anywhere. They'd be better served to target reclamation projects on the cheap who would provide veteran leadership and who can be let go easily should they fail to perform. Maybe they target a guy like Aubrey Huff who will be undervalued as a bat and then pick up a pitcher like Garland or something. Rolen is already gone, and if Halladay and Rios are also gone by ST next year then it doesn't make a lot of sense to try and contend in that division.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
Are you really comapring Dotel to Figgins? Figgins entire games revovles around his legs. Once that goes, he doesn't really have a spot in the major leagues. 35 year old speedsters making 7-8 million a year isn't a very good investment.

Well, that might be what some team will be paying Scott Podsednik next year. Is that smart, too?

Kenny Lofton played effectively in his mid 30s. Figgins should still have around 2-3 more good years left in him.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
Maybe if it was a short term deal with a lot of incentives.

Maybe a $3M base with the possibility of earning another $2M with incentives or something, but that's about as much as I could see Pods getting. Maybe he doesn't even get that since he's not a true CF and he doesn't have the type of power teams look for in a LF or DH.

Whatever Johnny Damon gets, and despite his season he shouldn't get all that much guaranteed, expect Pods to get much less.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
I look forward to the inevitable Scott Podsednik backlash that’s bound to occur if this move is made. I love Scotty Pods, but ultimately his defense in CF is bad enough to warrant him being replaced, by the superior all-around player that is Alexis Rios.

Agree that Rios is a hell of a lot better (no knock on Pods BTW), but I think Pods is still going to play a lot. On days Rios gets off, I'd much rather have Pods' bat in CF than Wise. On days Dye or CQ get rest, I'd much rather have Pods in LF/CF than Wise.

If we get Rios I still expect Pods to play almost daily anyway. We'll just rotate around. With Thome benched against a lot of lefties (and maybe ALL lefties if we get Rios) it will open up even more playing time.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
I look forward to the inevitable Scott Podsednik backlash that’s bound to occur if this move is made. I love Scotty Pods, but ultimately his defense in CF is bad enough to warrant him being replaced, by the superior all-around player that is Alexis Rios.

Even if the Sox did acquire Rios, Podsednik wouldn't have to sit all that often. You'd spend the final 50 or so games rotating Podsednik, Quentin, Rios, Dye and Thome between 4 positions getting everyone some much needed rest.

Actually, just thinking about it, if we get Rios we can replace both Wise and Kotsay at the same time. This would open up a spot to (ducks for flying tomatoes) bring up either Fields, Betemit or Phillips (pinch hitter with pop and 1B sub), or Lillibridge (pinch runner and backup SS because Nix is f***ing atrocious), or if we want to use Nix or somebody else as a backup at 1B, we could even bring up another pitcher. Or maybe we acquire someone to better fit the bench?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Actually, just thinking about it, if we get Rios we can replace both Wise and Kotsay at the same time. This would open up a spot to (ducks for flying tomatoes) bring up either Fields, Betemit or Phillips (pinch hitter with pop and 1B sub), or Lillibridge (pinch runner and backup SS because Nix is f***ing atrocious), or if we want to use Nix or somebody else as a backup at 1B, we could even bring up another pitcher. Or maybe we acquire someone to better fit the bench?

I would like to keep Kotsay up to continue to backup Paulie as well as serve as a LH bat off the bench.

Kotsay gives us more at PH than any of those retreads will give us in any capacity.

Just as I've always said in past moves, I'm perfectly fine with taking on this salary if it means they're gonna keep spending.

It's kinda smart in the sense that free agents havent shown theyre dying to come here.

I hope the negotiations dont lead to something horrible that offsets the salary we take back. Like sending them Linebrink and Flowers or something along those lines. Most likely we're just going to say hey we'll take him for free, ball is in your court.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 01:43 PM)
Just as I've always said in past moves, I'm perfectly fine with taking on this salary if it means they're gonna keep spending.

Keep spending on what?

Rios and Peavy are big $$ moves. For better or worse, OF would be set with Pods, Rios, and Q left to right. Off season would consist of tweaks, maybe Thome comes back, Jenks gets traded or non-tendered, etc... .

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
Keep spending on what?

I have major bullpen worries. It's not horrible but I could see it going that way. Also the aging sluggers at some point need to be replaced. It's weird but this power reliant team could be a year away from needing a new infusion of sluggers.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
I have major bullpen worries. It's not horrible but I could see it going that way. Also the aging sluggers at some point need to be replaced. It's weird but this power reliant team could be a year away from needing a new infusion of sluggers.

Pretty much every team has to remake their pen each year. If Q is healthy, I can live with a middle of the order of Beckham, Thome, Q, Konerko for 2010. Konerko rolls off after with Rios assuming the 6th spot in the lineup in 2011 with Flowers arrival and Konerko, Thome, and AJ's money to replace them.

From Buster Olney:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index...%3dolney_buster

Some team has claimed Alex Rios on waivers and will know by early Tuesday afternoon whether he will become theirs, and there is lots of evidence that the claiming team is the Chicago White Sox. But to be clear, this is informed speculation that is not yet confirmed.

The vast majority of baseball folks that I spoke with Friday believe this development is a gift from the baseball gods for the Blue Jays, who have an opportunity to get out from the last 5½ years of a contract that goes far beyond the current recessed market; Rios will be owed about $66 million for the remainder of his deal, an elite contract in 2009, and right now, he's not performing anywhere close to an elite level. If we had a SportsNation poll of baseball execs, I'd venture to say that 90 percent of them would vote that the Jays should dump Rios.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)

At least Sept. 1, the bullpen can add arms to rest some guys

1:50pm: According to ESPN.com's Buster Olney, we should know by "early Tuesday afternoon" where Rios is headed.

SATURDAY, 1:34pm: MLB.com's Jordan Bastian asked Rios about the waiver claim before Saturday's tilt with the Orioles. It sounds like everyone is still in the dark. "I can't do anything," said the outfielder. "If I get traded, I get traded. I'm going to have to go wherever I get traded to, but I don't know. At this point I'm thinking that I'm staying here."

For what it's worth, Rios is 2-for-5 with two home runs and four RBI since the waiver claim was reported.

1:50pm: According to ESPN.com's Buster Olney, we should know by "early Tuesday afternoon" where Rios is headed.

SATURDAY, 1:34pm: MLB.com's Jordan Bastian asked Rios about the waiver claim before Saturday's tilt with the Orioles. It sounds like everyone is still in the dark. "I can't do anything," said the outfielder. "If I get traded, I get traded. I'm going to have to go wherever I get traded to, but I don't know. At this point I'm thinking that I'm staying here."

For what it's worth, Rios is 2-for-5 with two home runs and four RBI since the waiver claim was reported.

Amazing. The aura of Gordon Beckham is already having a positive impact on him, just from a trade rumor.