Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
You got a link? It's a mutual option, Dye makes the decision first on whether he'd like to return if he says yes then the Sox make their decision. If both sides say no then the Sox can still offer arbitration, it's been done in the past and unless something has changed in recent years that's how things work today.

IIRC, it was the sox option. But I could be wrong. Either case, if the sox decline, he's no longer a member of the team to offer him arb. The sox could strike a deal with him then, but the sox wouldn't be eligible for comp. picks if a team signs him

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
IIRC, it was the sox option. But I could be wrong. Either case, if the sox decline, he's no longer a member of the team to offer him arb. The sox could strike a deal with him then, but the sox wouldn't be eligible for comp. picks if a team signs him

It's a mutual option. Where have you heard this?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
Even if the Sox did acquire Rios, Podsednik wouldn't have to sit all that often. You'd spend the final 50 or so games rotating Podsednik, Quentin, Rios, Dye and Thome between 4 positions getting everyone some much needed rest.

More or less. I'd expect to see Rios in CF and Pods in LF for most games. With Quentin playing on an injured foot and putting up a sub-.300 OBP since coming back last month, my guess is that his playing time takes the biggest hit and that he spends a lot of time spelling Thome at DH. I'd love to believe that Wise gets DFA'd, but history has shown that Kotsay will most likely get the short end of the stick.

If I understand the waiver rules correctly, the Sox are pretty much going to be stuck with Rios if Kenny indeed did claim him. Ricciardi has about zero incentive to pull him back, as he'd never get anything of value for Rios in the off-season either and any potential suitors would almost certainly demand salary relief as well. Since putting Rios on waivers is a salary dump on the Jays' part, this is Ricciardi's best chance of achieving that goal.

I'm not understanding the Jays going after Jason Bay next year. That would essentially add Rios' salary back to their books. Having played for the Pirates for several years, I also don't see Bay wanting to play for a team that's dumping payroll like mad and will almost certainly trade Halladay before next August.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...?urn=mlb,181651

Would KW dare go after Josh Hamilton??? It's the kind of medium-risk, high-reward move he loves (I say medium risk because we'd STILL have to give up something very decent like Hudson or Flowers in return to get Josh Hamilton, IMO)

I would be surprised he takes on that amount of long-term risk (if Alex Rios doesn't perform again at 800 OPS levels) versus taking a much smaller contract risk on someone like Rick Ankiel...on a two year contract.

Acquiring Josh Hamilton is just asking for trouble. Kudos to him for changing his life around (hopefully), but he's a guy whose career is on the line every morning, afternoon and night.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 06:03 PM)
Acquiring Josh Hamilton is just asking for trouble. Kudos to him for changing his life around (hopefully), but he's a guy whose career is on the line every morning, afternoon and night.

Looks like Josh was having fun with that whipped cream....

Reminds me of Major League, when Jake says to the batter "I know he and your wife are close personal friends and all, but what was he doing with her panties on his head?"

This is not a denial.

""I’m not confirming or denying any interest or any claims or any thing, but if these things get out on a daily basis, boy, it’s going to be a heck of an August around here in terms of how many players you claim and how many you don’t claim," Williams said. "It will make your head spin if you follow each report.

“A lot of players getting claimed every day. Why is this a big deal?”

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....er-process.html

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
This is not a denial.

""I’m not confirming or denying any interest or any claims or any thing, but if these things get out on a daily basis, boy, it’s going to be a heck of an August around here in terms of how many players you claim and how many you don’t claim," Williams said. "It will make your head spin if you follow each report.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....er-process.html

6:52pm: Mark Gonzales of The Chicago Tribune spoke to White Sox GM Kenny Williams, who abided by league rules stating he can't comment about specific players placed on waivers. He did offer up this, though:

"I’m not confirming or denying any interest or any claims or any thing, but if these things get out on a daily basis, boy, it’s going to be a heck of an August around here in terms of how many players you claim and how many you don’t claim," Williams said. "It will make your head spin if you follow each report.

Doesn't sound like we are getting him.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 07:44 PM)
Doesn't sound like we are getting him.

What? I got the complete opposite from that. Why would he say he's not confirming or denying it when he can just flat out deny it if it wasn't the White Sox who claimed him?

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 06:10 PM)
What? I got the completely opposite from that. Why would he say he's not confirming or denying it when he can just flat out deny it if it wasn't the White Sox who claimed him?

Because he's not allowed to say anything either way about any player and the waiver wire? If GM's were allowed to deny publicly that they'd made a claim on a player you could pretty easily figure out who had acutally made the claim by process of elimination.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 09:10 PM)
What? I got the complete opposite from that. Why would he say he's not confirming or denying it when he can just flat out deny it if it wasn't the White Sox who claimed him?

I'm not denying that we put the claim in, but rather Rios physically being a White Sox.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
I'm not denying that we put the claim in, but rather Rios physically being a White Sox.

If we put in the claim, Ricciardi could just say "OK, here you go" and we'd literally have to take Rios. So if somebody put in a claim for Rios, my guess is that he's out of Toronto by Tuesday afternoon. If Ricciardi pulls Rios back, he should be fired on the spot.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)
If we put in the claim, Ricciardi could just say "OK, here you go" and we'd literally have to take Rios. So if somebody put in a claim for Rios, my guess is that he's out of Toronto by Tuesday afternoon. If Ricciardi pulls Rios back, he should be fired on the spot.

Riccardi should hold out until the Tuesday deadline to try to get something. If KW doesn't want to budge, then he doesn't have to offer up anything and he can let J.P. decide if he wants to move that contract. Everyone in MLB seems to think he should.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 06:18 PM)
Riccardi should hold out until the Tuesday deadline to try to get something. If KW doesn't want to budge, then he doesn't have to offer up anything and he can let J.P. decide if he wants to move that contract. Everyone in MLB seems to think he should.

Oh, he should absolutely try to get something out of it. He'd be a bad GM if he didn't.

If I'm an owner who wants to dump payroll and Ricciardi's my GM, I would've been pretty pissed about him not moving Halladay at the deadline. If somebody put in a claim for an overpaid $60 million player on my books, I *demand* that Ricciardi let him go by the Tuesday deadline, and I fire him if he doesn't.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:23 PM)
Oh, he should absolutely try to get something out of it. He'd be a bad GM if he didn't.

If I'm an owner who wants to dump payroll and Ricciardi's my GM, I would've been pretty pissed about him not moving Halladay at the deadline. If somebody put in a claim for an overpaid $60 million player on my books, I *demand* that Ricciardi let him go by the Tuesday deadline, and I fire him if he doesn't.

I would think the Blue Jays owners are aware of the situation and have either told Ricciardi he had to get rid of the contract or to keep it if there is no package of decent players coming back.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 06:31 PM)
I would think the Blue Jays owners are aware of the situation and have either told Ricciardi he had to get rid of the contract or to keep it if there is no package of decent players coming back.

I just can't imagine how they could turn down this chance to dump him. Not after all we heard about them trying to cut salary in the Halladeal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
I just can't imagine how they could turn down this chance to dump him. Not after all we heard about them trying to cut salary in the Halladeal.

You would think that, but perhaps they would think the dumping of Rios for nothing but salary relief would be detrimental to their team moving forward. If they were in such dire straights, Halladay would have been dealt. On the other side, maybe losing Rios and freeing up the money eventually leads to re-signing Halladay.