Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
I know it's your thought, but your are a pretty reliable source for a while on soxtalk so that'll be sad.. though Ricciardi is/would be an idiot if that happens.

He is an idiot, thought...that's the thing.

I wouldn't worry much about this. Rios is getting dealt because ownership is demanding it. (Just speculation on my part, but that's the only logical reason Rios was put on waivers)

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
I didn't mean as much as our financial commitments as much as as his decrease in performance the past few years. But we also have to take into account locking up young guys that are currently on the team or will be in the future. Beckham, Danks 1, Quentin, Alexei, Floyd. Too early to throw Hudson, Danks 2, and Flowers in there?

Say we lock up the youngsters is '11. We'd have at least 40 million to play with, and too early for Danks 2.0/Flowers etc since they might not even be up by 2011.

Beckham - either lock him up now or just ride out the 6 years we have control of him

Danks 1.0 - 10ish mil a year, or possibly less if he signs the extension offer from last year this offseason

Q - See Danks

Alexei - 2 more years of him for cheap

Floyd - locked till 2013.

Dayan - locked till 2012

So we'd have 40 million for Beckham, Danks, Q, Alexei

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
The Jays' payroll was $81 million this season.

As for next season?

On the books for 2010 are Vernon Wells at $16.143 million (plus his $8.5 million final bonus instalment next March); Halladay at $15.75 million; Ryan at $12 million; Rios at $10.12; Lyle Overbay at $7 million; Encarnacion at $4.75 million; and Aaron Hill and Scott Downs at $4 million each. That's $82.26 million.

Source:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnist...411851-sun.html

My guess is Rios will be ours before noon tomorrow.

But this year they dont save much by launching Rios.

So if they like Rios and like his youth...

....they can immediately cut into that '10 payroll any second they want this offseason by moving Halladay. And actually get something back along with the money savings.

hope they are just plain tired of rios though.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
But this year they dont save much by launching Rios.

So if they like Rios and like his youth...

....they can immediately cut into that '10 payroll any second they want this offseason by moving Halladay. And actually get something back along with the money savings.

hope they are just plain tired of rios though.

Who do you think is more popular in Toronto....Halladay or Rios?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
I don't think there's any reason to trade AJ and bring up Flowers for 2010. Flowers will need more time to adapt to major league pitching and get better at catching. I thought he wasn't even that good of a catcher yet?

He’s not quite there, but word is that he’s shown marked improvement behind the plate.

It really does bring up an interesting question if all these circumstances come about at odds w/ each other maybe around the end of 2010.

We're still winning despite going younger. AJP is still productive. Flowers is killing at AAA but will very obviously need adapting time with handling a staff.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
It really does bring up an interesting question if all these circumstances come about at odds w/ each other maybe around the end of 2010.

We're still winning despite going younger. AJP is still productive. Flowers is killing at AAA but will very obviously need adapting time with handling a staff.

Is he? .783 OPS?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:42 PM)

It's certainly a motivation.

If I'm the Jays, I'm going to do all possible to turn Halladay into real blue chip prospects. There's no hope of winning the East with piecemeal free agent signings.

Now that Rolen is out, a parallel move would be turning the 32-yr old Halladay into some people that could help them eventually rival NYY and BOS.

I agree with you that Halladay is more popular, but the question is not so simple.

The question is which is less popular: Trading Halladay for excellent prospects, or giving away Rios for nothing? Either way TOR is ready to take a hit from their fanbase.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)

Moving Rios might put them in a better position to keep Halladay. I know Halladay won't renegotiate currently but remember, the Jays were going to trade Roy because he kept saying he wanted to test the market (so the Jays didn't want to lose him for nothing) not because ownership told them they needed to cut-payroll.

They want to shed payroll but that is because Wells, Rios and others are making a lot of money and they can't afford paying guys that deserve the money they get because of some of the other contracts on the club.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
I don't get how the pressure is on KW.

Easy in my mind. The team is in second place. KW has the pressure to win the division. I believe the most logical places to have the biggest impact down the stretch are starting pitching and the outfield. What pressure is there on the Jays? Possibly to shed $2 mil for the remainder of the year? While I do not believe there is much pressure on this deal, what little pressure there is would seem equal or even a little more on KW.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:54 PM)
Easy in my mind. The team is in second place. KW has the pressure to win the division. I believe the most logical places to have the biggest impact down the stretch are starting pitching and the outfield. What pressure is there on the Jays? Possibly to shed $2 mil for the remainder of the year? While I do not believe there is much pressure on this deal, what little pressure there is would seem equal or even a little more on KW.

The thing is, KW doesn't NEED Rios. Would he help? Most likely, but you also don't know the effect it has on Dye/Q/Pods not playing everyday.

The pressure is all on the Jays, its not about just saving 2 million this year, its about risking not being able to move him PERIOD in the offseason. If they take a gamble and pull him off waivers to attempt a better offer in the offseason, and don't get it, they're screwed. With the way the economy is now, there's no way teams are going to both give up big name prospects and take on that salaray.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
Moving Rios might put them in a better position to keep Halladay. I know Halladay won't renegotiate currently but remember, the Jays were going to trade Roy because he kept saying he wanted to test the market (so the Jays didn't want to lose him for nothing) not because ownership told them they needed to cut-payroll.

They want to shed payroll but that is because Wells, Rios and others are making a lot of money and they can't afford paying guys that deserve the money they get because of some of the other contracts on the club.

My point was that I cannot see them trading Halladay in order to accommodate Rios' salary.

While they may not be trying to rid themselves of Rios' salary for Halladay's sake, there certainly seems to be some motivation to move Rios' salary if at all possible. I would tend to agree with this after reading some of the comments from writers and fans in Toronto, who have a much better understanding of the situation there than we do here.

Considering they already have more money committed to just 8 players next year than their entire payroll for this season, I wouldn't be shocked to see both Rios AND Halladay gone by next season. My guess though is that Ricciardi will take the opportunity to rid himself of the Rios' contract now, while he can.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
Considering they already have more money committed to just 8 players next year than their entire payroll for this season, I wouldn't be shocked to see both Rios AND Halladay gone by next season. My guess though is that Ricciardi will take the opportunity to rid himself of the Rios' contract now, while he can.

Frankly, we've heard enough about financial pressures coming from Toronto motivating the Halladay talk (believable or no we heard a ton of it) that it's not unreasonable to think that Toronto would let Rios go and still try to trade Halladay this offseason.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:02 PM)
The thing is, KW doesn't NEED Rios. Would he help? Most likely, but you also don't know the effect it has on Dye/Q/Pods not playing everyday.

The pressure is all on the Jays, its not about just saving 2 million this year, its about risking not being able to move him PERIOD in the offseason. If they take a gamble and pull him off waivers to attempt a better offer in the offseason, and don't get it, they're screwed. With the way the economy is now, there's no way teams are going to both give up big name prospects and take on that salaray.

If there is no way a team will take it in the off season, why would a team take it on now?

Again, there is a huge assumption they are looking to shed salary at any cost. If that was the case, they could have placed him on irrevocable waivers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
Frankly, we've heard enough about financial pressures coming from Toronto motivating the Halladay talk (believable or no we heard a ton of it) that it's not unreasonable to think that Toronto would let Rios go and still try to trade Halladay this offseason.

They'll probably do exactly that, but the Jays have had a ton of injuries and I think as a whole they feel they can get by without Rios and the financial savings will be huge. If the Jays can they'll do what they can to get Vernon Wells off of there hands but that might be the most un-moveable contract in baseball right now.

When the Jays were healthy they had one of the best producing rotations in baseball (it just isn't healthy).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:16 PM)
They'll probably do exactly that, but the Jays have had a ton of injuries and I think as a whole they feel they can get by without Rios and the financial savings will be huge. If the Jays can they'll do what they can to get Vernon Wells off of there hands but that might be the most un-moveable contract in baseball right now.

When the Jays were healthy they had one of the best producing rotations in baseball (it just isn't healthy).

Even if the Jays ate half of that salary and sent a couple top prospects they probably couldn't move Wells. He's not a CF anymore and he hasn't hit more than 20 HR since 2006. I mean, if he were a FA right now he'd probably fall into the $5M + incentives range or something like that. The Jays would have to pretty much eat that whole thing to move him.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:13 PM)
Again, there is a huge assumption they are looking to shed salary at any cost. If that was the case, they could have placed him on irrevocable waivers.

Why would they place him on irrevocable waivers -- better to see if they can get anything for him, maybe a mid level prospect, and if not, still let him go for nothing anyway.