Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:34 PM)
Just in, Ricciardi and the Jays are calling a quick press conference. More to follow. Only a Twitter link so far:

http://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/3233546881

Hah! Beat you to it! "Now if you had a milkshake and I had a milkshake and I had a straw, you see watch it. My straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! [Makes slurping sound] I DRINK IT UP!

"

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:28 PM)
Why would they place him on irrevocable waivers -- better to see if they can get anything for him, maybe a mid level prospect, and if not, still let him go for nothing anyway.

That is in answer to those that claim the Jays *have* to dump him at any cost.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/16545947

Rios traded

Posted on: August 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Edited on: August 10, 2009 6:28 pmScore: 140Sign-up to rate:Sign-up to rate: Sign-up to rate: NEW YORK -- Alex Rios was in the original Blue Jays lineup but apparently has been traded..

The Jays were facing a 1:30 EDT Tuesday deadline to trade Rios to the team that claimed him on waivers (sources said it was the White Sox), or to pull him back off waivers. The deal gives the White Sox a player that general manager Ken Williams has long wanted, and gives the Blue Jays more payroll flexibility.

By trading Rios, the Jays will get some return for him, and will also be able to spend the money he's due (nearly $60 million over the next five years) on addressing multiple other needs.

Rios, a 28-year-old outfielder, has hit .264 with 14 home runs and 62 RBI in 108 games this season. Scouts view him as potentially a 30-30 player (30 home runs, 30 steals), but also as a player who has underachieved the last two years.

Rios is capable of playing center field, and it's possible he would play there for the White Sox if they acquire him. Rios could then slot into right field next season, as Jermaine Dye is in the last year of his contract.