Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

I'm very happy to hear the Sox got Rios. I just hope some of the stuff I've read about him not hustling and being afraid of walls is exaggerated or not true. I always liked him but I've only seen him when he played against the Sox.

Anyway, we finally have a major league centerfielder for the first time since 2005.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. It isnt my money but I think it is being spent stupidly. KW I am your biggest fan but this one makes me scratch my head. I guess if I were able to see your bigger outlook on this whole situation I would feel different. :huh

QUOTE (Shamrock4Life @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
Why would you even think about putting any player on irrevocable waivers in August? Thats just dumb.

It was reported the 6 teams put a claim in on Rios. Only MLB and Toronto knows for sure who those teams were. Over the past 4 days, I bet Ricciardi has talked to each one of those front offices about what they would give up in a trade in the offseason. Which is another part of the game. Does JP believe these other GMs and try the offseason market with Rios hoping to start a bidding war? Does KW think that other teams are tell JP they will offer more than what the White Sox (or the team that claimed him) are lying or are they really going to offer that in the offseason? If KW thinks that JP thinks that those teams are being truthful, KW has to up his offer. JP's job is to make KW think that he thinks they are being truthful.

12:30pm is the deadline for the transaction tomorrow. So, imo, if we don't hear anything by 1:30pm, the Rios wasn't acquired.

The team with the worst record "wins" the claim and is the only team they can negotiate with. That is also the only team the Jays would know placed the claim.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:41 PM)
Where does he bat in the lineup? Do we DH Dye right now and bench Thome??

Why would the Sox bench their best hitter and only lefty power threat. There will be a very nice rotation for the remainder of the season that results in everyone getting some much needed rest.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
Hopefully Rios won't block it... I don't think he will but one never knows.

If the Jays are having a press conference, they've already gotten the OK from him.

This is insane...

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:51 PM)
Wow. It isnt my money but I think it is being spent stupidly. KW I am your biggest fan but this one makes me scratch my head. I guess if I were able to see your bigger outlook on this whole situation I would feel different. :huh

Look at all the payroll we’re shedding next season. I assume that we’re going to continue integrating younger players onto our team, like we did the year, so that’ll save some cash. We’ll also have enough money to settle the bullpen and potentially, the 5th starter spot. In other words, We’ll be fine.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:54 PM)
I wonder what the hell is going on with JR for him to be "making it rain" on KW like this.

Well, he is getting up there in years. Plus how many more times does KW have to prove himself on moves like this.

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
I wonder what the hell is going on with JR for him to be "making it rain" on KW like this.

this is one of the fairly logical steps to take in a depressed market provided you have a good grasp on the market as a whole and the money to spend. the time to spend it is at depressed values, when you adding pieces is cheaper and more effective than in a high flying situation. i'm not saying this deal was necessarily cheap, but it solves a problem we've had for years for no cost but the money, which they have, on its own, clearly evaluated to be worth it.

Pods = Questionable I dont really want him starting next year.... esp his defense

It'd be pretty foolish to get rid of Pods after he had a .350 OBP as a leadoff man. Rewind one year and remember how badly we needed a leadoff guy?

Put up with Pods defense, especially now with Rios, and be content that we actually have a leadoff man.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:57 PM)
Would you stop worrying. I think your the only one that hates this deal.

I wouldnt say I hate it. Its exciting but I think from an economic standpoint this guy is going to be paid about 20 mil more than he is worth.