Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:52 PM)
The contract could be a bargain. The economy is steadily improving so it could be much better in 2011-12-13. He'd be getting Dye money for those years but a younger, faster ,better defensive version of Dye in his prime ( if he didn't peak in 2007).

That's what the Jays thought.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
f*** Pods. He's the odd man out unless Dead is traded.

Sorry, he has been productive; but he's not in the long term plans of this club.

And who bats leadoff the rest of this year and next year? Pods has been one of our better f***ing hitters this year. The only reason we are even f***ing sniffing first place. To just throw him out would be the dumbest thing this organization could do after lookin for a leadoff hitter.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 07:59 PM)
And who bats leadoff the rest of this year and next year? Pods has been one of our better f***ing hitters this year. The only reason we are even f***ing sniffing first place. To just throw him out would be the dumbest thing this organization could do after lookin for a leadoff hitter.

No, that would be benching him for Wise again.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 03:59 AM)

I totally agree with this. I like the idea of having a 4 person rotation in the outfield with some time to take at DH as well. However, I still think this could have a really negative impact on the clubhouse THIS YEAR. As for 2010 and forward, I'm all for it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:01 PM)
I think Pods would see plenty of playing time.

CQ, Dye, Thome can all sit for a game a week and if Rios sits for 1, thats already for games starting for Pods...

Why would you want to sit any of them for a guy hitting 261 with a 315 OBP? We're acting like this guy is a good hitt right now. He's not, not even close.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
At this point in time I agree, but he has the potential to become an $18-20M type of player as a CF. He's not doing it now obviously so he's considered overpaid, but this kid has tons of talent and we'd be getting him through his prime.

No, he's 28 right now, not a kid. We'd be paying him $12.5 million a year when he's 34 years old. Players like him do not peak through 34. Likely, he's already had his peak with an .860 OPS.

It would be different if he was 25 years old and struggling through his fourth year in the league. He's not. He should be in his prime and the last two years he's been a sub-800 OPS player.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
No, he's 28 right now, not a kid. We'd be paying him $12.5 million a year when he's 34 years old. Players like him do not peak through 34. Likely, he's already had his peak with an .860 OPS.

It would be different if he was 25 years old and struggling through his fourth year in the league. He's not. He should be in his prime and the last two years he's been a sub-800 OPS player.

Players like him?

First off, there aren't just a lot of "players like him" around with comparable packages of talent. Secondly, you're saying he had his peak at 26? Yeah, going to have to dispute that one and say there's ample time for improvement. Some players don't hit their prime until later. And lastly, if the Sox put in this claim they've looked at him and have seen things they think they can fix. He has power potential and would be moving from a dome to grass within a hitters park plus is a natural CF so it's not like we're talking about some corner OF here. He only plays RF because the Jays have Wells who USED to be awesome in CF, and apparently the Jays are keeping Wells there to justify his contract.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 7, 2009 -> 08:12 PM)
JP Riccardi is going to lose his job at the end of this season no matter what, so KW should feel free to take the 'its my way or the highway' approach without sacrificing much reputation.

The Sox should offer up zero guys who have a shot of making our big league roster in the next 3 years unless they're sending money with him.