Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
Dumping Rolen and Rios would be a coup for the Jays. And Riccardi realizes that. The X-Factor is Riccardi's ego. His best move is to dump Riccardi off on us, but if he demands players, the sitiuation might meet a head.

Hah, you did it again. :)

I agree with what you are trying to say though.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
So I don't have to read through 14 pages, could someone please summarize this situation for me? Like what are the odds of this actually happening? Any speculation on what we'd have to give up? What are his contract details? He's a nice player. Not a star but plays good defense, has some pop, decent average, and can steal bases. He could definitely be the CF next year.

No one really knows the odds of it happening. We don't even know for sure that the White Sox are the team that won the claim. However, they are the team believed to have won the claim by "baseball sources." In terms of who the Sox would have to give up, that is unknown. Presumably very little or nothing. His contract details are as follows:

Alex Rios of

7 years/$69.835M (2008-14), plus 2015 club option

signed extension with Toronto 4/4/08, re-working 2008 deal signed 2/5/08 ($3.5M signing bonus remains, 2008 salary reduced from $1.335M to $0.735M)

08:$0.735M, 09:$5.9M, 10:$9.7M, 11:$12M, 12:$12M, 13:$12.5M, 14:$12.5M, 15:$13.5M club option ($1M buyout)

full no-trade clause, 2009-10

limited no-trade clause, 2011 - end of deal (may block trades to 6 clubs)

1 year/$4.835M (2008)

re-signed 2/5/08 (avoided arbitration, $5.65M-$4.535M)

$3.5M signing bonus, 08:$1.335M

award bonus: $15,000 for All Star team

1 year/$2.535M (2007)

re-signed 2/07 (avoided arbitration, $3.1M-$2M)

1 year/$0.354M (2006)

1 year/$0.331M (2005), re-signed 3/05

drafted 1999 (1-19)

$0.845M signing bonus

agent: Paul Kinzer

ML service: 4.130

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 07:09 PM)
I disagree. The sox could give them a decent deal by including players not on the 40 man roster. It really depends on if the Jays want to rid themselves of the large contract, or get the most in return from Rios as possible. If the Jays want to get the most for Rios, they should wait until the offseason. If they want to rid salary, they should definitely do the deal with the sox.

I hadn't really looked at the 40 man, but you're right, there's quite a bit of talent in the system that's not on there.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 11:50 AM)
Yep there is finally some spending cash. Lets not forget that AJ and PK are off the books after 2010 so thats another 18 million. If KW doesnt aqcuire Rios, he could definitley go after one or even two top tier free agents this winter.

And call me crazy, but I would rather of gotten Peavy and maybe Rios versus any of the left overs at the end of the free agency period last year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
No one really knows the odds of it happening. We don't even know for sure that the White Sox are the team that won the claim. However, they are the team believed to have won the claim by "baseball sources." In terms of who the Sox would have to give up, that is unknown. Presumably very little or nothing. His contract details are as follows:

Alex Rios of

signed extension with Toronto 4/4/08, re-working 2008 deal signed 2/5/08 ($3.5M signing bonus remains, 2008 salary reduced from $1.335M to $0.735M)

08:$0.735M, 09:$5.9M, 10:$9.7M, 11:$12M, 12:$12M, 13:$12.5M, 14:$12.5M, 15:$13.5M club option ($1M buyout)

full no-trade clause, 2009-10

limited no-trade clause, 2011 - end of deal (may block trades to 6 clubs)

1 year/$4.835M (2008)

re-signed 2/5/08 (avoided arbitration, $5.65M-$4.535M)

$3.5M signing bonus, 08:$1.335M

award bonus: $15,000 for All Star team

1 year/$2.535M (2007)

re-signed 2/07 (avoided arbitration, $3.1M-$2M)

1 year/$0.354M (2006)

1 year/$0.331M (2005), re-signed 3/05

drafted 1999 (1-19)

$0.845M signing bonus

agent: Paul Kinzer

ML service: 4.130

Thanks!

Dayan Viciedo is the only big prospect that’s actually on our 40. With Jon Link probably bringing up the rear. We’re not going to see Flowers, Danks, or Hudson moved in a deal for Rios.. So, I’d put Shelby and Ely as the more notable names that could be moved. I’m still tempted to think that a straight waiver claim is ultimately, going to be the direction this moves in.

It all depends on if KW really wants Rios, or if he's just prepared to take him, and if the White Sox are the team who claimed him. If he really wants him bad, he may throw a middle of the road prospect or 2 Toronto's way who have decent minor league stats and/or a guy like Wise to let the Blue Jays save a little face, and not make it look like they are giving him away.

Edited by Dick Allen

The waiver claim is awarded to the team in the same league with the worse record, or if no one in the same league claims him, it would go to the team in the other league with the worse record. So in theory, the WS could block any deal the Tigers try and put together on a waived player. However, the downside is the Sox would have to be willing to take on whomever they claim and put them on the roster. Likewise, Cleveland or the Twins could block any deal the Sox or Tigers are trying to put together for a waived player.

I did not see that posted, pardon me if that is a repeat or if my memory is faulty.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
The only way we give up prospects is if the Jays kick in cash, which defeats the whole purpose of dumping Rios for Toronto.

I agree. Ricciardi has the opportunity to dump ALL of Rios' contract on the claiming team and he's not going to get that opportunity in the off-season, where teams are going to demand some serious cash relief to offset the $60+ million on that deal. Assuming that the Sox won the claim, I could see Kenny throwing Ricciardi a bone by giving him a couple of mediocre prospects in return. But nobody that's projected to be anything special.

I think the Sox are the team and they can probably get him for nothing. KW won't take that chance and will trade them something to make sure he gets Rios and to help the Blue Jays not look like they are giving him away. Rios will fill the void at CF. KW is as sick of our lack of a CF as we are and will help the team be strong up the middle. I'm sure he can be worked into the lineup somehow this year as other posters have mentioned. However, this is a move made to make the team better for years to come. Adding Kotsay, Castro, Peavy, and potentially Rios to the Sox in place of Corky, Wise, Anderson, and Colon is amazing. Now, the Sox have not been known for the big free agent pick ups, but if they pull off Peavy and Rios, that is like signing two big free agents without dealing with the bidding war. This move would have me nearly as excited as the Peavy move because we will give up much less to get him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 11:36 AM)
The only way we give up prospects is if the Jays kick in cash, which defeats the whole purpose of dumping Rios for Toronto.

Kenny's job here is to win a game of brinksmanship. All he has to do is offer up pieces that never have a shot at his big league roster. That's why I keep thinking McCulloch. Otherwise, he can let Riccardi hang himself.

this is quite a unique situation. to me it is a mid season free agent acquisition. we are essentially getting an all star OF for nothing. perhaps a prospect or 2, but nothing of substance. i had to think about rios and if his numbers are worth the money he is owed and i think he is. playing in a better ballpark with a better team should help his numbers. he is also a good CF something we desperately need. he has good speed and power and will give us very nice production. i hope this happens.

Seen this ...The Jays would be stupid to not let Rios go IMO.

Danny Knobler from CBS Sports writes that two baseball sources have confirmed to CBS Sports that Alex Rios was claimed on waivers, and one source stated that he was claimed by the White Sox. Knobler says that the Jays will keep Rios if they're not offered enough in return.

Why would the Tigers want to go after Rios when they're already on the hook for the salaries (this season) of Sheffield, Nate Robertson, Dontrelle D-Train Willis, Ordonez (he will definitely not qualify for his option year), Bonderman, Carlos Guillen, etc.???

They are going to have to spend a pretty penny to keep Edwin Jackson around next season, that's for sure. He will undoubtedly get a huge boost in salary, and Inge and Granderson are starting to make some bank as well.

With Clete Thomas (actually his stats aren't incredibly different from Beckham's, overall, but he is a corner outfielder, not an infielder) and Ryan Raburn (and they already traded away Joyce and brought in Josh Anderson as well), there's not really a compelling need to break the bank on Rios, although the money (for 2010) could theoretically be shifted from Magglio to Alex Rios.

I do think, however, that Dombrowski has to be very careful with his spending this offseason...you gotta give DET fans credit, coming off a terribly disappointing 2008 season, they've supported their "average" team to the tune of 31000+ fans per game this season. All this despite the economic calamity poster-child syndrome that is DET, CLE and PITT. Heck, look specifically at those last two teams being completely blown apart...as well as the Jays and potentially Padres to a lesser extent.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
Seen this ...The Jays would be stupid to not let Rios go IMO.

Danny Knobler from CBS Sports writes that two baseball sources have confirmed to CBS Sports that Alex Rios was claimed on waivers, and one source stated that he was claimed by the White Sox. Knobler says that the Jays will keep Rios if they're not offered enough in return.

Yep, more of the same from CBS. Confirmation of the rumor, link to the White Sox, but nothing substantial. It does say, however, that the Jays would pull him back if the White Sox fail to offer enough for him. Which I believe to be too absurdly stupid to be true.

“Blue Jays outfielder Alex Rios, who is guaranteed nearly $60 million over the next five years, was claimed last week, two baseball sources confirmed to CBSSports.com. One source said that the claiming team is the White Sox. While the Blue Jays could simply let the claim go through and offload Rios' contract, it's believed that they keep Rios if the White Sox don't offer them enough in return. The teams had 48 hours to make a deal, a time period that is believed to run through Monday.” http://danny-knobler.blogs.cbssports.com/m...e=rss_blogs_MLB

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 03:51 PM)
Kenny's job here is to win a game of brinksmanship. All he has to do is offer up pieces that never have a shot at his big league roster. That's why I keep thinking McCulloch. Otherwise, he can let Riccardi hang himself.

I'm not sure that Kenny has to offer anything. The Jays are in big monetary trouble. The alternative might be for them to hold on to Rios and have to trade Halladay in the off season.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
Yep, more of the same from CBS. Confirmation of the rumor, link to the White Sox, but nothing substantial. It does say, however, that the Jays would pull him back if the White Sox fail to offer enough for him. Which I believe to be too absurdly stupid to be true.

Let them call him back if they want to pay his salary. I have no problem with that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:57 PM)
I'm not sure that Kenny has to offer anything. The Jays are in big monetary trouble. The alternative might be for them to hold on to Rios and have to trade Halladay in the off season.

Heck, they could let Rios go and maybe still have to trade Halladay this offseason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
Heck, they could let Rios go and maybe still have to trade Halladay this offseason.

That wouldn't surprise me either. To be honest, they might let go Rios, and want to trade Halladay, so that they can go into full rebuilding mold with as many prospects as possible.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)

“Blue Jays outfielder Alex Rios, who is guaranteed nearly $60 million over the next five years, was claimed last week, two baseball sources confirmed to CBSSports.com. One source said that the claiming team is the White Sox. While the Blue Jays could simply let the claim go through and offload Rios' contract, it's believed that they keep Rios if the White Sox don't offer them enough in return. The teams had 48 hours to make a deal, a time period that is believed to run through Monday.” http://danny-knobler.blogs.cbssports.com/m...e=rss_blogs_MLB

Sounds like Ricciardi may be posturing again (perhaps overplaying his hand, again), when in fact he could have marching orders from ownership to launch Rios' contract yesterday.

Make him look stupid, Kenny, but get your man!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
That wouldn't surprise me either. To be honest, they might let go Rios, and want to trade Halladay, so that they can go into full rebuilding mold with as many prospects as possible.

That's what I'd do if I were in that seat. Or at least, when Tuesday rolls around, I'd drop my asking price for Rios to something KW might accept.