Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
If Danks/Mitchell aren't ready I'd sign Pods for a 1 year deal. Even if they're ready I'd like to keep him in as the 4th OF/Pinch runner.

No way Danks/Mitchell are ready. And I don't want Thome back next year. JD should be brought back as the DH and we'll need to find someone to play LF, possibly Pods. I also don't think we should get rid of AJ unless someone offers a trade we just couldn't say no to. AJ is really undervalued here, and if we were to get rid of him I think we'd pay for it. Flowers has not yet had 1 major league AB. Penciling him in over AJ for next year at this point is a little early IMO.

Sorry i didn't make this clear, im thinking of the lineup of late 2010 and beyond.

I don't think Dayan will be ready to start next year and even if he was the sox brass are going to let Konerko ride out next year all the while seeing what we have in Flowers/Viciedo/Danks/Morel

the way flowers has hit in the minors this year along with another trip through the AFL i could see the sox moving AJ to a team like the rays or brewers who could be looking to bolster their catching position.

I think the sox bring back Thome because we need a LH power bat, hes going to come at a cheaper price because hes limited to DHing and he wants to play close to home, and the sox would like to see him reach #600 in their uniform.

I could see them bringing back Pods on a one year deal if figgins is out of reach, and just as a stop gap for Danks/Mitchell

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at the contract info past 2009, I like what we've got setup long term, with the exception of the albatross contracts of Contreras and Linebrink. AJP for another year is big, Konerko for another year, JD signed hopefully for the DH role with Thome off the books, seriously reconsidering our bullpen structure and exercising Thornton's option...

Things are ok for 2010, when I would expect Flowers if at all, will come in as the Castro role maybe? And gives us a chance to make a run.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:16 PM)
I can only hope that we'd drop Thome in favor of bringing back JD as DH. Thome has limited value for this team from this point forward. Also, for someone that gets dropped off the discussion so quickly, don't write AJP off. He is quietly having a very productive season offensively, and that type of production doesn't come along all the time, and certainly not from a first year starter. You put Quentin in RF, let...ugh...Pods come back maybe for LF, and that is a solid lineup with an outstanding starting rotation to back it up.

Thome has limited value? He's easily been our best hitter this year and is just about our only true OBP guy and left handed power threat. His bat has more value to this team than Dye's. I agree on A.J. though, he's been our most valuable offensive player this season in terms of WAR, I'd happily see him back next season.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
I don't get how the pressure is on KW.

If Rios never hit waivers, we wouldn't have claimed him and we'd be in the same position we are in with 3 OF's contributing to our lineup.

He did hit waivers and it's a nice opportunity to buy low on a good player but we by no means needed him or went balls after the guy. So why should any pressure be on KW? He blocked him from going to other contending AL teams, in particular the Tigers. So if we get him - great, that could be a huge deal. If not, we avoided him going anywhere that could hurt us in the playoff run and still have the same lineup that they were happy with a week ago.

I fail to see why KW has any pressure. Rios is icing on the cake, he isn't the cake.

I'm not arguing there is pressure on KW in terms of the grand scheme of things.

I am claiming, in the vacuum of this particular showdown, the pressure is on KW. The reason is simple:

Ricciardi already has a deal done on his end, if he wants it done. This isn't like a traditional deal where the party looking to acquire the player can simply back out and say "F You, I'm tired of this BS. Keep the player." Kenny has already agreed, in the technical sense, to take the player. Meanwhile, JP still has the issue of backing out. He can simply take his ball and go home. And who knows what his mandate is from ownership. Must he dump Rios no matter what? Or can he afford to try and move him again in the offseason?

So now JP can just sit back and try to squeeze out of him what he can. The pressure is on Kenny to try and figure out just what price JP will deny, and what he will accept. We can speculate all we want about whether that price is nothing, or a few middling prospects, or something actually moderately significant.

My guess is KW wants the player, is willing to give up some players, but no one that he has any significant plans in the organization for. And it is true that if KW doesn't get Rios, he is in no different position than he was prior to the claim. However, he has lost an opportunity to acquire a player that could significantly improve the future of his club.

Is it worth losing that player over a few middling prospects? I sure hope not. But that is the pressure he is feeling.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
With the risk of being stuck with $60 million over five years, this simply isn't just a block. Sure, it might be a secondary reason, but the primary reason is the Sox wanting Rios. Although, I have a strong feeling tomorrow passes and we don't have Rios. Riccardi is clearly in a bind, he wants to dump him, but he also wants to get a prospect. My best guess is that he simply holds onto him, hopes he finishes off the year strong and builds up his value into an off-season trade.

If Riccardi does what you are guessing he does, then the Blue Jays would likely have to include a nice chunk of money back in such a deal. Toronto simply does not want to do that. I'm guessing Rios is a member of the Chicago White Sox come tommorow at noon.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
I'm not arguing there is pressure on KW in terms of the grand scheme of things.

I am claiming, in the vacuum of this particular showdown, the pressure is on KW. The reason is simple:

Ricciardi already has a deal done on his end, if he wants it done. This isn't like a traditional deal where the party looking to acquire the player can simply back out and say "F You, I'm tired of this BS. Keep the player." Kenny has already agreed, in the technical sense, to take the player. Meanwhile, JP still has the issue of backing out. He can simply take his ball and go home. And who knows what his mandate is from ownership. Must he dump Rios no matter what? Or can he afford to try and move him again in the offseason?

So now JP can just sit back and try to squeeze out of him what he can. The pressure is on Kenny to try and figure out just what price JP will deny, and what he will accept. We can speculate all we want about whether that price is nothing, or a few middling prospects, or something actually moderately significant.

My guess is KW wants the player, is willing to give up some players, but no one that he has any significant plans in the organization for. And it is true that if KW doesn't get Rios, he is in no different position than he was prior to the claim. However, he has lost an opportunity to acquire a player that could significantly improve the future of his club.

Is it worth losing that player over a few middling prospects? I sure hope not. But that is the pressure he is feeling.

I gotcha.

The opportunity isn't toally gone though either. Rios will still be there come the offseason and we'll have a shot at him. It will be more difficult and maybe more costly but it's not like Rios will become untouchable by then.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

Not sure if this has been discussed, but does anyone think Rios coming here can be part of a bigger deal? Maybe Kenny and JP are slipping other players through waivers?

Another reliever would be nice.

Maybe Kenny has all the leverage, and in order for us to take Rios , Toronto must take linebrink in return.

I wouldn't mind seeing AJ back on the south side next year; his contract is very manageable and he only has one year left, but you've got a very good looking catching prospect in flowers down at AAA waiting for his chance and AJ is having the second best year in his career directly behind '03 when he put up this line .312/.360/.464 .824 as a 26 year old, he is now 32 years old, if you can get good value for him you move him, simple as that.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
I wouldn't mind seeing AJ back on the south side next year; his contract is very manageable and he only has one year left, but you've got a very good looking catching prospect in flowers down at AAA waiting for his chance and AJ is having the second best year in his career directly behind '03 when he put up this line .312/.360/.464 .824 as a 26 year old, he is now 32 years old, if you can get good value for him you move him, simple as that.

Why would AJ not be back next year?

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
I wouldn't mind seeing AJ back on the south side next year; his contract is very manageable and he only has one year left

The combination of A.J.'s $6.25M salary and his legendary personality might make him a tough sell. He also has a limited NTC.

I'd rather just keep him around for another year (he still hits well and calls good games) and take the draft picks when he leaves as a FA.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)
I'd love to have a very good defensive catcher on our team. One that can throw out base runners more than once a month. And yeah I know AJ's looked a little better lately in this area but he's still amongst the worst.

AJ's troubles throwing out runners are very much effected by the pitchers he works with. 3 of the 5 starters are just downright terrible at holding runners on, and most of the relievers are as well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:44 PM)
AJ's troubles throwing out runners are very much effected by the pitchers he works with. 3 of the 5 starters are just downright terrible at holding runners on, and most of the relievers are as well.

His throwout rate is just as bad with John and Mark on the mound.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 01:27 PM)

Agreed.

We've all heard enough about the gaping hole in CF for four seasons now. We can put it to bed tomorrow - oh happy day!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
His throwout rate is just as bad with John and Mark on the mound.

Probably a small sample size there, as guys don't really run on those two (MB at least). And I am not saying AJ is fantastic or anything. Just that his low throw-out rate is not entirely his fault.

Because flowers is hitting a robust .300/.333/.450 .783 at AAA and .302/.426/.529 .956 across two levels. AJ is making $6.25M for next year in 2010. AJ should be able to bring us a couple of nice looking prospects and that 6.25 could be better spent when you have a cheap opition at catcher that is just about ML ready.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
Because flowers is hitting a robust .300/.333/.450 .783 at AAA and .302/.426/.529 .956 across two levels. AJ is making $6.25M for next year in 2010. AJ should be able to bring us a couple of nice looking prospects and that 6.25 could be better spent when you have a cheap opition at catcher that is just about ML ready.

If we're constructed for 'win now', we are sticking with AJ. Looking at our staff and the recent investment made in it, it's safe to say that's our focus.

Now if at the next trading deadline this team goes south, options with AJ might be explored.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
Probably a small sample size there, as guys don't really run on those two (MB at least). And I am not saying AJ is fantastic or anything. Just that his low throw-out rate is not entirely his fault.

The other thing to think about in terms of Mark and John is that when runners actually DO go against them, they often just guess first move. So for the guys that actually do guess correctly, that's a pretty outstanding jump that AJ is trying to throw them out from...