Confirmed: White Sox claim on Alex Rios on waivers

prochisox

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
Agreed.

We've all heard enough about the gaping hole in CF for four seasons now. We can put it to bed tomorrow - oh happy day!

Now we'll just have to figure out who to bat leadoff all over again now...

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 03:52 PM)
I think that if we take on Rios' contract, it's going to bite us in the ass eventually. Maybe not this year or next year, but it certainly will by 2014 IMO.

2009 - ~98 million

2010 - ~60 million

2011 - ~43 million

2012 - ~27 million

Not seeing how we're going to be strapped for cash anytime soon

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:05 PM)
Is that counting Peavy?

Yes, 15, 16, 17 million extra each year respectively. Not including arbitration however (which shouldn't be astronomical anyway)

Oh and 2013? - $0. (only arb)

This team is in an incredible situation financially.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
If we get Rios tomorrow, where does he play? Does he come off the bench for the rest of this year or do we bench someone?

He goes immediately into the starting lineup in CF. he has too much talent not to. Podsednik slots into the D-Wheezey role. He’s a pinch-hitter, base runner, and replacement for Quentin in the later innings. .

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
Podsednik slots into the D-Wheezey role. He’s a pinch-hitter, base runner, and replacement for Quentin in the later innings. .

Makes sense, he's only been our best, most-consistent hitter and the catalyst for our offense. F*ck him!

I still don't understand this line of thinking of benching a guy like Pods. If anything you bench Quentin or Dye.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
Makes sense, he's only been our best, most-consistent hitter and the catalyst for our offense. F*ck him!

I still don't understand this line of thinking of benching a guy like Pods. If anything you bench Quentin or Dye.

Obviously, if Rios can hit at all, you do some sort of a rotation this season. You don't bench Pods, but everyone gets extra time off.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:12 PM)
Obviously, if Rios can hit at all, you do some sort of a rotation this season. You don't bench Pods, but everyone gets extra time off.

Which makes perfect sense, since Dye is ancient, Pods has had a magically healthy season *knocks on wood, and Quentin's foot needs routine rest anyway.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)
Which makes perfect sense, since Dye is ancient, Pods has had a magically healthy season *knocks on wood, and Quentin's foot needs routine rest anyway.

Steve, got your info into the guy that sets up the accounts and I'll pm you the details once it is done.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)
2009 - ~98 million

2010 - ~60 million

2011 - ~43 million

2012 - ~27 million

Not seeing how we're going to be strapped for cash anytime soon

I didn't mean as much as our financial commitments as much as as his decrease in performance the past few years. But we also have to take into account locking up young guys that are currently on the team or will be in the future. Beckham, Danks 1, Quentin, Alexei, Floyd. Too early to throw Hudson, Danks 2, and Flowers in there?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)

Gordon Beckham is the answer to your first statement. You also don't bench your two best hitters for a guy who's having a great year, but has limited defensive capabilities, no arm, and little pop. Don’t get me wrong. Pods deserves and will still get a significant amount of playing time, but if we get into the playoffs we’re going into war with an OF of Q, Rios, and Dye.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:14 PM)
The talk in Toronto is that the two teams have been in talks and that the Jays are trying to work out a deal. CJ Retheford name was brought up by the Jays beat-writer as a guy Toronto likes.

We'll see what happens.

It seems like Retherford would work well for both teams in that he's got a chance to contribute at the big league level, but his loss isn't likely to muck up the Sox' long term plans.

QUOTE (chisox2334 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
I already believe rios was pulled back. But, that's my thought.

I know it's your thought, but your are a pretty reliable source for a while on soxtalk so that'll be sad.. though Ricciardi is/would be an idiot if that happens.

Edited by SoxAce

The Jays' payroll was $81 million this season.

As for next season?

On the books for 2010 are Vernon Wells at $16.143 million (plus his $8.5 million final bonus instalment next March); Halladay at $15.75 million; Ryan at $12 million; Rios at $10.12; Lyle Overbay at $7 million; Encarnacion at $4.75 million; and Aaron Hill and Scott Downs at $4 million each. That's $82.26 million.

Source:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnist...411851-sun.html

My guess is Rios will be ours before noon tomorrow.

Edited by iamshack