Josh Hamilton + Alone + ASU Campus

3E8

Yeah I heard about this. He had one drink, slipped up and his alcoholism kicked back in. Then when he was drunk he supposedly asked where he could find some blow (they tested a couple days later and found no cocaine). It was a few months ago though and he says it was an isolated incident.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Aug 8, 2009 -> 10:55 PM)
Ah, so thats why most people wasted a first round fantasy pick on him and hes producing a .235 average (no, i didnt draft him)

Clearly you've hit the important part of the subject.

Thank you for further proving the depth to which fantasy sports have ruined baseball.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
Josh Hamilton is uncommonly stupid. If he doesn't have his babysitter around, all hell breaks loose.

LOL at women are evil. Stupid attracts stupid.

No, Josh Hamilton is an addict. He was stupid to get into drugs and alcohol in the 1st place, smart to get out of them. Now, he’s in the tenuous act of recovery.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
No, Josh Hamilton is an addict. He was stupid to get into drugs and alcohol in the 1st place, smart to get out of them. Now, he’s in the tenuous act of recovery.

Let me recover by getting bombed out of my mind and then having a bunch of skanks lick whip cream off my chest.

Better yet, let's take pictures of it.

Don't apologize for this imbecile. He's a complete and utter embarrassment to himself and his family. I hope that his wife has sense enough to jet the f*ck outta there. Probably not, though, seeing as how she chooses to spend quality time with someone that has the IQ of a grapefruit.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
Let me recover by getting bombed out of my mind and then having a bunch of skanks lick whip cream off my chest.

Better yet, let's take pictures of it.

Don't apologize for this imbecile. He's a complete and utter embarrassment to himself and his family. I hope that his wife has sense enough to jet the f*ck outta there. Probably not, though, seeing as how she chooses to spend quality time with someone that has the IQ of a grapefruit.

Some of the smartest people you'll ever meet can still wind up succumbing to addiction.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
Don't apologize for this imbecile.

Who apologized for him? Point it out to me once on this board, and I'll concede my point right there.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 04:56 PM)
He's a complete and utter embarrassment to himself and his family. I hope that his wife has sense enough to jet the f*ck outta there. Probably not, though, seeing as how she chooses to spend quality time with someone that has the IQ of a grapefruit.

To suggest he was an embarassment to his family is absolutely absurd and completely unfair. For all we know, he very well may have come back to his wife or girlfriend or father or f***ing whoever - and told them he had a drink, it turned to 15, and he made countless bad decisions. He then probably (since he's playing still) turned himself into rehab and began coming back all over again. Perhaps that's why he was on the DL, perhaps not.

Regardless of any of the above, the dude had been clean for atleast 2 years prior to the incident, and he's (alledgedly) been clean for 7 months after. It was 1 night in 900 days (give or take whatever). To bring in his personal life based upon one relapse - after which he has (again, allegedly) stayed clean - is absolutely disgusting, and is a comment that belongs in the Filibuster or elsewhere.

Beyond that, you even take a shot at Hamilton (IQ of a grapefruit?). If he's not an intelligent person, then so f***ing be it...he was drafted out of high school, so he atleast has a degree. He got involved in some hard s*** after high school - I imagine you atleast know of people who did - and baseball became a job, rather than the entertainment we view it as.

Hammerhead, you are a great poster, but all of the above that is quoted is bulls***. Perhaps he still is an alcoholic, perhaps he still is into drugs, and perhaps, just perhaps, that is why he was on the DL, and not because he was actually injured. That's neither your nor my place to speak, and no one else here, and to bring up his personal life beyond that is awful.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
Sure, there are always exceptions.

I wouldn't call it exceptions, there are plenty of smart people who are addicts whether it be to drugs, alcohol, gambling, etc.... Now maybe Hamilton is an idiot but I haven't read anything that specificly points that out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 10:20 AM)
Who apologized for him? Point it out to me once on this board, and I'll concede my point right there.

That was a direct response to Thunderbolt.

To suggest he was an embarassment to his family is absolutely absurd and completely unfair. For all we know, he very well may have come back to his wife or girlfriend or father or f***ing whoever - and told them he had a drink, it turned to 15, and he made countless bad decisions. He then probably (since he's playing still) turned himself into rehab and began coming back all over again. Perhaps that's why he was on the DL, perhaps not.

If he got bombed out of his mind behind closed doors, then I'd honestly feel bad for him. The fact that he chose to do it in a public place w/ skanks licking whip cream off his chest and grabbing his crotch is dumber than dumb. Does he not know that everyone has cameras on their cell phones nowadays?

His wife must have been lobotomized if she's still with him. That's some serious never forgive action.

Beyond that, you even take a shot at Hamilton (IQ of a grapefruit?). If he's not an intelligent person, then so f***ing be it...he was drafted out of high school, so he atleast has a degree. He got involved in some hard s*** after high school - I imagine you atleast know of people who did - and baseball became a job, rather than the entertainment we view it as.

Man, all signs point to stupid, whether it be the compulsive abuse of drugs and liquor, the religion thing, the fact that he needs a babysitter with him at all times, the 20,000 tattoos, etc. I think that the photos say it all, really. Just some serious white trash is all.

It's amazing to me that anyone would defend him.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
I wouldn't call it exceptions, there are plenty of smart people who are addicts whether it be to drugs, alcohol, gambling, etc.... Now maybe Hamilton is an idiot but I haven't read anything that specificly points that out.

We're talking about extents, though. Hamilton is the type of guy that would down 20+ beers/shots in four hours, have sex with some god-awful skank in a bathroom, hop in his car with a BAC level that's through the roof, get a couple more tattoos, score some blow, and then wake up the next morning with no memory of what occured the night before.

I would classify such a person as severely retarded. Just my opinion, though.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)

If he got bombed out of his mind behind closed doors, then I'd honestly feel bad for him. The fact that he chose to do it in a public place w/ skanks licking whip cream off his chest and grabbing his crotch is dumber than dumb. Does he not know that everyone has cameras on their cell phones nowadays?

His wife must have been lobotomized if she's still with him. That's some serious never forgive action.

Man, all signs point to stupid, whether it be the compulsive abuse of drugs and liquor, the religion thing, the fact that he needs a babysitter with him at all times, the 20,000 tattoos, etc. I think that the photos say it all, really. Just some serious white trash is all.

It's amazing to me that anyone would defend him.

It's amazing to me that some people are so judgmental and unwilling to accept that some people develop problems.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
It's amazing to me that some people are so judgmental and unwilling to accept that some people develop problems.

I'm certainly not aiming this towards you but I can't help but to feel race is an element in these situations. Some young black kid makes it to the NBA, MLB, NFL, etc and continues to smoke pot, hang out with "thugs", or whatever and everyone calls them out on it. "What an idiot." "He just hit the lotto ad blew it." and on and on.

And for some reason this guy blows it because of stupidity and it's because he's "developed problems".

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:14 PM)

That's what happens when you're f***ed up. That's why he quit in the first place. Was he a dumbass for starting again in the first place, yes, and he knows it. But why be so judgmental? Do you know him? I was one of the people last year getting tired of the "recovering addict saving his career" narrative but have you ever known someone who's tried to shake an addiction? It's not something you can just snap your fingers and do.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
I'm certainly not aiming this towards you but I can't help but to feel race is an element in these situations. Some young black kid makes it to the NBA, MLB, NFL, etc and continues to smoke pot, hang out with "thugs", or whatever and everyone calls them out on it. "What an idiot." "He just hit the lotto ad blew it." and on and on.

And for some reason this guy blows it because of stupidity and it's because he's "developed problems".

Well if you want to throw that into the discussion, go look at internet comments after a hockey fight, then do the same thing after a basketball fight.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)

My response is to anyone who criticizes him is to ask if you have ever been a smoker or are overweight or anything of the sort in which addiction plays a factor. Some people are just not mentally strong enough to overcome addictions.

I will say there is a difference between this and the "thug life" you mentioned. If you continue to hang around with people who make bad decisions, or are a bad influence it is a conscious decision that person is making. I just feel someone who is an addict is different. It is no longer them. Hamilton made a dumb decision to have that first beer. he thought it would be fine because it was just one. Clearly it wasn't. He apparently isn't strong enough to handle himself. Having beer six or seven or twelve was no longer him making a conscious decision.

Until someone has been in that position, they don't know. I don't know either, but I have an idea of what an addiction could be like. I just don't feel like comparing the two is the same. And race has nothing to do with it. Take a look at Jason Williams, for eaxmple. How often has he been called a thug during his NBA career. And stuff like carrying a gun into a club, smuggling pot onto a plane etc... requires forethought. No one sets out to try and become a meth head.