Josh Hamilton + Alone + ASU Campus

3E8

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
I'm not sure what you think I'm trying to say here.

You're trying to compare hockey fights to basketball fights. There is no comparison. At all.

Where I think you were going with that was people on message boards thinking the hockey goon = awesome and someone who gets in a fight in basketball = thug.

I was just saying you can't compare anything associated with fights in the two sports. One is sanctioned, while one is not.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
I'm certainly not aiming this towards you but I can't help but to feel race is an element in these situations. Some young black kid makes it to the NBA, MLB, NFL, etc and continues to smoke pot, hang out with "thugs", or whatever and everyone calls them out on it. "What an idiot." "He just hit the lotto ad blew it." and on and on.

And for some reason this guy blows it because of stupidity and it's because he's "developed problems".

Don't know who this "everyone" is, but I couldn't care less about Hamilton. I've ripped that stupid "comeback story" since day one. I don't give a s*** that he was stupid enough to smoke crack after being drafted #1 and blew all his money. I'm tired of his story and I'm tired of him being given a stage to spew his religious garbage.

Stupid doesn't have a race. It may be more prevalent with the young black kids since....and this may be a stretch here....but they come from poor neighborhoods where 95% of the population are thugs.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
You're trying to compare hockey fights to basketball fights. There is no comparison. At all.

Where I think you were going with that was people on message boards thinking the hockey goon = awesome and someone who gets in a fight in basketball = thug.

I was just saying you can't compare anything associated with fights in the two sports. One is sanctioned, while one is not.

Well this is getting off topic, but I think it's a legit question, why is there no comparison? Why is fighting ok (encouraged) in hockey? What does it add to the game that it couldn't/wouldn't in basketball? It gets mostly overlooked in football too, but I don't see why people treat basketball players so different, like basketball is not a physical sport.

Edited by lostfan

Hah, it's really easy to criticize these guys since they are in the public eye. We can all throw venomous darts at them with no fear of reprisal.

I'd love to see some of the train wreck" stuff that would appear if all the stupid things we did were up for public consumption and commentary.

I, for one, know I would be in trouble...:)

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
I love a train-wreck...he sucks at baseball again and now these pictures come out. Can't wait till he f's up again.

Not that I defend Josh's choices here, because I don't, but the bolded above is one of the reasons why it is so hard to be recover from addiction while in the public's view (or even away from it). Some people want you to fail. Kind of sad that people think that way.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
Well this is getting off topic, but I think it's a legit question, why is there no comparison? Why is fighting ok (encouraged) in hockey? What does it add to the game that it couldn't/wouldn't in basketball? It gets mostly overlooked in football too, but I don't see why people treat basketball players so different, like basketball is not a physical sport.

Basketball IS a physical sport, but not anywhere near the level that hockey/football are on. There's also the fact that the NBA's #1 priority is to make sure their league doesn't appear to be run by thugs, so they pussify the game to the point that players can't react normally anymore.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
Hah, it's really easy to criticize these guys since they are in the public eye. We can all throw venomous darts at them with no fear of reprisal.

I'd love to see some of the train wreck" stuff that would appear if all the stupid things we did were up for public consumption and commentary.

I, for one, know I would be in trouble...:)

:notworthy

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
I love a train-wreck...he sucks at baseball again and now these pictures come out. Can't wait till he f's up again.

That’s a pretty sick mentality to have about a guy who could easily kill himself every time he crosses a line. You want him to f*** up? Do you realize the repercussion to him f***ing up? Not every incident will end with some wry commentary from Deadspin, he’s an addict. The next time we could see an obituary, and what will it say? Josh Hamilton was a stupid, f***-up? Bulls***, it might say he was ignorant, foolish, but ultimately, he's human. You're absurd.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:37 PM)
Basketball IS a physical sport, but not anywhere near the level that hockey/football are on. There's also the fact that the NBA's #1 priority is to make sure their league doesn't appear to be run by thugs, so they pussify the game to the point that players can't react normally anymore.

...and THIS is where I was actually leading when I brought it up. I was actually going to push there in a roundabout way but I didn't expect someone to actually do it for me. Being physical in the NBA is discouraged now, a lot of the stuff players did against Jordan and the stars in the 80s and 90s would be a flagrant now.

I think during his whole comeback Hamilton has handled it well. He's never said he was great or some kind of superman for overcoming this. He would always say he took it day by day, etc... He used religion as a tool to help him stay sober and talked about it, other people use psychology or other methods and talk about it.

Who handled it wrong to me was ESPN and other media outlets. They held him up to be something more than he was ever saying he was.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:07 PM)
I think during his whole comeback Hamilton has handled it well. He's never said he was great or some kind of superman for overcoming this. He would always say he took it day by day, etc... He used religion as a tool to help him stay sober and talked about it, other people use psychology or other methods and talk about it.

Who handled it wrong to me was ESPN and other media outlets. They held him up to be something more than he was ever saying he was.

They essentially compared him to Ruth and Aaron during the home run derby. Just don't hear that sound off a bat!!1111!1one

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)

Because it just isn't the same.

Starting in Junior-C fighing is allowed in hockey. It's allowed all the way through Juniors, the Minors and in the NHL. It always has been. It's how the game evolved. Hell, at one point hockey players used to fight with their sticks. It's just part of the game. Yes, at the low minor league level it has become somewhat of a sideshow, but it is also used as a means of intimidation, protection and to settle things before they escalate. Hockey players run around with deadly weapons in their hands. During the course of a game things can get chippy and dirty. When players get frustrated they may take a run at someone in the boards, slash at ankles, face wash, spear, hit you in the junk etc...It's all a means of trying to get under the opposing players skin and perhaps to try and draw a penalty. It also serves as a means of protection of the star players. You take a run at my guy and you'll answer to me mentality. Hockey is just a different animal than any other sport. It's hard to communicate it thoroughly but if you've ever played you'd just know. It's just different in basketball. There's just no need for it.

[/hijack]

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
That’s a pretty sick mentality to have about a guy who could easily kill himself every time he crosses a line. You want him to f*** up? Do you realize the repercussion to him f***ing up? Not every incident will end with some wry commentary from Deadspin, he’s an addict. The next time we could see an obituary, and what will it say? Josh Hamilton was a stupid, f***-up? Bulls***, it might say he was ignorant, foolish, but ultimately, he's human. You're absurd.

Why do I care if this guy can't control himself? There are a lot of f***ing people who can't control themselves. Get your s*** together. I don't fell sorry for him or give two s***s about him. I got enough problems taking care of myself. Oops...I got drunk and did shots off young girls, while my wife and kids are at home. F him.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
Why do I care if this guy can't control himself? There are a lot of f***ing people who can't control themselves. Get your s*** together. I don't fell sorry for him or give two s***s about him. I got enough problems taking care of myself. Oops...I got drunk and did shots off young girls, while my wife and kids are at home. F him.

No one expects you to care if he can control himself or not. But see, you DO care, because you said you couldn't wait for him to f*** up again. There is not giving a s***, and then there is rooting for someone to fail, which is what you did. That is what other posters were calling you out on.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)

Wow.

And apparently you do give enough s***s about him to hope and not be able to wait until he fails again.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
Wow.

And apparently you do give enough s***s about him to hope and not be able to wait until he fails again.

I hope he gets caught with a bag of blow in his back pocket, while playing the outfield. That would be cool.