Our DH for next year?

Jake

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
Dye won the White Sox nomination for the Roberto Clemente Award this year and is on the United Way commercials.

My comment had nothing to do with Dye. It was about Thome, and how he really has never caught on here. He's been a good player, and very under appreciated.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:37 PM)
My comment had nothing to do with Dye. It was about Thome, and how he really has never caught on here. He's been a good player, and very under appreciated.

Thome is very popular and well-liked. It's just that Buehrle, Konerko, Pierzynski, and Dye have been on the team longer and are also great guys.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 01:40 PM)
Thome is very popular and well-liked. It's just that Buehrle, Konerko, Pierzynski, and Dye have been on the team longer and are also great guys.

Jim Thome has been washed up 1000 times on this board since he's been a White Sox. That's a conservative figure. People can't wait until he's gone. He didn't get anywhere near the love a washed up Ken Griffey Jr. got when he became a White Sox.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
Jim Thome has been washed up 1000 times on this board since he's been a White Sox. That's a conservative figure. People can't wait until he's gone. He didn't get anywhere near the love a washed up Ken Griffey Jr. got when he became a White Sox.

Yep, Thome is one of the more under appreciated sox players I can remember.

That's because Griffey was a seminal player. He and Thomas were the Michael Jordans of baseball from 1990 to 2000.

If you grew up in the late 80s/early 90s, even if you weren't a Mariners fan, you were a Griffey fan just because of how great he was.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
That's because Griffey was a seminal player. He and Thomas were the Michael Jordans of baseball from 1990 to 2000.

If you grew up in the late 80s/early 90s, even if you weren't a Mariners fan, you were a Griffey fan just because of how great he was.

Or it's because Jim Thome is under appreciated. Even when he was at his best in '06 people were hating on Thome, this is undeniable.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)

I agree with you wholeheartedly, DA. Thome has been vastly underappreciated by the fans on this board particularly.

I, for one, believe that Thome makes more sense to bring back next year, due to left-handedness, cost, and the length of contract he'll seek (1 year). Jimmy has already had his big paydays and will be far more likely, IMO, to give a big home-town discount so he can stay here at hit #600. Dye knows that this will be his last chance at a relatively big deal, and God knows I've seen enough of him in RF this year.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)
Or it's because Jim Thome is under appreciated. Even when he was at his best in '06 people were hating on Thome, this is undeniable.

I think part of it is because much of our fanbase is still in the stone age in regards to some of the more modern statistics/metrics. Many of our fans do not pay too much attention to OBP, Slugging, and by extension, OPS. While they understand Thome is a run producer, they are frustrated by how often he strikes out and how often he hits into the shift.

He's not a flashy or colorful character either.

Just goes about his business quietly and posts 35/100 every year with a .900 OPS.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
I think part of it is because much of our fanbase is still in the stone age in regards to some of the more modern statistics/metrics. Many of our fans do not pay too much attention to OBP, Slugging, and by extension, OPS. While they understand Thome is a run producer, they are frustrated by how often he strikes out and how often he hits into the shift.

He's not a flashy or colorful character either.

Just goes about his business quietly and posts 35/100 every year with a .900 OPS.

Yep, that's exactly what it is. People get hung up on the strikeouts.

Thome, we need a LHB and i see the sox brass wanting him to hit #600 in a sox uniform. I

If we get rios i see us offering Dye ARB and if he declines going after figgins to comenstate for our loss of a draft pick.

this is how i see the lineup going into next year

S Figgins LF

R Rios CF

R Beckham 3B

R Quentin RF

L Thome DH

R Konerko 1B

L AJP C

R Ramirez SS

L Getz 2B

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 10:25 PM)
I have never seen Quentin in RF. He's barely marginal in left. Can't see him on RF next year.

No matter what old reports say about Quentin and him being a better RF from like 3-4 years ago, sox brass don't see him as a RF at all. Remember they trotted Podsednik out there for a few games earlier in the year when Quentin was healthy. BTW, IMO, I still think a 38+ year old Thome is better than Dye right now because he can take a walk, still has power and will still put up the OBP/OPS so gimme Thome and lets see him get 600 here. Though I'm not as big of a Dye fan also so that's partly why. (sorry Kalapse)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:33 AM)
This is all contingent based on weather or not we get Rios. If we get Rios we can kiss Dye goodbye, which is why KW was kind of pissed about the lack of secrecy regarding the Rios claim. If everything remained a secret then Dye has no idea the Sox are considering parting ways with him.

Even if this is true, that Dye would be out next year.....in the short term we can placate him by telling him - hey next year we could still envision you as a DH who can play outfield in interleague.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
I agree. Despite JD's solid bat, Big Jim is simply more valuable to the White Sox as currently constructed due to his lefthandedness. I'd keep Thome. I just hope Kenny has the stones to make that decision.

Thome currently leads the team in OPS at .903. I expect that number to increase as Jimmy has been known to get quite hot around this time of year...

I love thome, but you have to go with dye. I dont want them to keep thme just because they don't want the team to be too righthanded. That is what lou made hendry do by getting rid of derosa and getting milton bradley.... that did not work out so well. pick the best player at the position, regardless of what side of the plate he hits from.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
I hope Dye but I'm going to predict we see Thome. Simply because it'll be a cheaper signing.

Cheaper, and it will only need to be 1 year. Dye will look for two, though may not get it, especially if he thinks he's still an OF. His option's too expensive for a DH.

I don't see us getting Figgins, if we have Rios tomorrow at this time.

Pods LF

Rios CF

Beckham 3B

Thome

Q RF

Paulie 1B

AJP C

Ramirez SS

Getz 2B

Until now, I had assumed the Sox would re-sign Dye after the season to another 2-year deal along the lines of the one he is playing under now. But since I don't see any games that aren't on WGN or national TV, I probably underestimated just how bad JD's defense has become. Now that I think about this more, if the Sox have a legitimate major league player to cover JD's spot in the outfield, I'm growing skeptical that the Sox will keep JD after this season.

Of course, Rios is certainly not here yet. But if he did come, then I think the Sox are more likely to keep Thome at DH than Dye, for a few reasons. 1. Thome actually creates more runs per game than Jermaine. 2. Thome is our only power lefty bat. 3. Thome would likely extend for less money, and be willing to go year-to-year. 4. Thome is experienced at DH; Dye is not. Never know what effect it will have. Could be positive b/c Dye gets more rest, or could be negative b/c it changes Dye's routine.

There are a few factors in JD's favor. 1. Younger. 2. DHing might give him enough rest to keep his bat going strong through the season. 3. Thome has back issues, so JD might be able to get more plate appearances than Jim.

But, on balance, if the OF is set without JD, I don't think we'll see him back.