How many more starts does Jose get?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't Coop and A.J. tell Jose to stop throwing forkballs when he can't get them over?

The reason why he was so successful in the first 4 innings of the game was because he was getting ahead of hitters by throwing fastballs in good locations early in the count. He didn't have a good forkball all day.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
He looked great through 4. He was awesome until the all star break. Let him go a couple more. He still has it when he throws strikes. Its not like the guys they bring up from AAA do better.

Unless he drops down...

I know our Charlotte options suck but at this point I'd rather try something new and have it fail than keep running the "Full" Count out there.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
Unless he drops down...

I know our Charlotte options suck but at this point I'd rather try something new and have it fail than keep running the "Full" Count out there.

Contreras had a nice streak of starts earlier, then started dawdling around and couldn't throw a strike. He was great today, then gave up 4 runs but one was a broken bat hit, another a swinging bunt, and of course the 2 walks. He's a far better option than Torres or Whisler or Egbert or even Hudson at this time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 03:19 PM)
Contreras had a nice streak of starts earlier, then started dawdling around and couldn't throw a strike. He was great today, then gave up 4 runs but one was a broken bat hit, another a swinging bunt, and of course the 2 walks. He's a far better option than Torres or Whisler or Egbert or even Hudson at this time.

You're probably right about Contreras still being better than Torres, Whisler, and Egbert but I'm mad as hell at Jose and his lack of intelligence on the mound. It's one thing to go out there with nothing and give it up, but it's another to constantly let guys back into AB's after getting ahead and constantly dropping down when everyone knows the guy at the plate is sitting on it.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
Contreras should only be pitching when Castro is catching. It seemed like the games Castro covered the plate, Jose pitched good.

Opponents are hitting .207/.270/.318/.588 off Jose in the 8 games Castro has caught him.

8 Games with Castro: Contreras is 4-4, 53.2 IP, 41 Hits allowed, 17 earned runs allowed, 43 K, 15 walks, 2.88 ERA

before todays game with AJ (8 Games) Contreras is 0-6, 39 IP, 50 Hits allowed, 36 earned runs allowed, 28 K, 22 walks, 8.31 ERA

Clearly better with Castro.

Edited by GO CHI SOX!

The thing is, do we really believe someone like Hudson has the ability/talent to go on a Brandon McCarthy-esque 2005 roll down the stretch?

REALLY?

I mean, Brandon was pretty much our best pitching prospect, and, if not, 1A...but I would think he was more highly coveted than even Hudson...we were trying to package him for Soriano if the memory serves me correctly.

Contreras is inconsistent, sure, but do the likes of Carlos Torres, Whisler, Egbert, Ely, Harrell, etc., have the ability to pitch the way Brandon did down the stretch (along with the Count) in 2005?

You have to think Colon is done again, and that Ozzie will go down with his veterans before he turns that role over to someone like Torres, who's far from a spring chicken himself at age 26.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
The thing is, do we really believe someone like Hudson has the ability/talent to go on a Brandon McCarthy-esque 2005 roll down the stretch?

Hudson right now is closer to where McCarthy was in 2004. He hasn't had nearly the time in the minors yet.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)

I think the real question is, do we believe Hudson can regularly go 6-7 innings giving up 5ER or less? If so, bring him on because he's better than Contreras.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
I think the real question is, do we believe Hudson can regularly go 6-7 innings giving up 5ER or less? If so, bring him on because he's better than Contreras.

Based on his first AAA start...not yet.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
Based on his first AAA start...not yet.

He had bad starts early at high A and AA, IIRC, before a quick turnaround to studliness. But I'd like to see another AAA start from him before consideration for pitching on the 18th.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
He had bad starts early at high A and AA, IIRC, before a quick turnaround to studliness. But I'd like to see another AAA start from him before consideration for pitching on the 18th.

Exactly. And even if his next start rules, the more time we give him the happier I'll be. I'd rather not see us bringing him up mid-pennant-race unless we have absolutely no choice.

This season:

8 Games with Castro: Contreras is 4-4, 53.2 IP, 41 Hits allowed, 17 earned runs allowed, 43 K, 15 walks, 2.88 ERA

9 Games with AJ: Contreras is 0-7, 43.2 IP, 56 Hits allowed, 38 earned runs allowed, 30 K, 24 walks, 7.91 ERA

We should have Castro catch his next game and take it from there.

Edited by GO CHI SOX!