How many more starts does Jose get?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
8 Games with Castro: Contreras is 4-4, 53.2 IP, 41 Hits allowed, 17 earned runs allowed, 43 K, 15 walks, 2.88 ERA

before todays game with AJ (8 Games) Contreras is 0-6, 39 IP, 50 Hits allowed, 36 earned runs allowed, 28 K, 22 walks, 8.31 ERA

Clearly better with Castro.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 05:37 PM)
2.88 ERA with Castro in 8 games compared to 8.31 ERA with AJ in 8 games, Ozzie should look at these numbers and only allow Castro to catch Contreras.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
This season:

8 Games with Castro: Contreras is 4-4, 53.2 IP, 41 Hits allowed, 17 earned runs allowed, 43 K, 15 walks, 2.88 ERA

9 Games with AJ: Contreras is 0-7, 43.2 IP, 56 Hits allowed, 38 earned runs allowed, 30 K, 24 walks, 7.91 ERA

We should have Castro catch his next game and take it from there.

You're kidding, right...?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 02:59 PM)
Contreras is inconsistent, sure, but do the likes of Carlos Torres, Whisler, Egbert, Ely, Harrell, etc., have the ability to pitch the way Brandon did down the stretch (along with the Count) in 2005?

No, and I don't think that any of those guys are better options right now than Jose. Jose has pitched well at times this year when his command is there. The problem is that it's just not there right now. Colon is likely on the verge of getting DFA'd and I haven't seen Freddy pitch well at the major league level in years. So unless the Sox want to bring up Hudson for a spot start and see how he does, it looks like we're stuck with Jose from here on out.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 03:12 PM)
I say 1 but am hoping 0. Get this guy out of here.

Edit: This was supposed to be a f***ing poll.

Barring injury, Jose stays in the rotation for the rest of the season. Who else is there? Torres? Whisler? Give me a break.

Carrasco wouldn't be bad but he's proven to be too valuable in the role he's in. Anyway, when Peavy is ready, Jose will be the number five starter. That's a better number five than most teams have. He's still has some good games left in him.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
There aren't many options unfortunately. Since Kenny made the trade, John, Burly and Jose have all s*** the bed. Not a good formula for winning the division.

I think this point is the one to remember. We have had several subpar perforamnces in a rfow by Jose, Mark and Jon Danks. They all three need to get their heads out of their rears and start performing

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
Jose is 4-11. That is a horrible record. It will be wonderful next year with him pitching for somebody else.

How's Javy doing these days?

What's the difference?She's pitching for the Braves now,who cares how she's doing...

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

I don't think there is any doubt that we failed with Javy. I have a feeling we did improve his mental makeup a bit, and perhaps the Braves were able to turn the corner with him on his mechanics. There is no denying that he has been an absolute horse this year, experience a renaissance of sorts.

Granted he is pitching in a pitcher's park, in a weaker league. But anyone who wants to rip on Javy needs to have the same concerns with Jake Peavy. Their situations are quite similar.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:42 AM)
I don't think there is any idea that we failed with Javy. I have a feeling we did improve his mental makeup a bit, and perhaps the Braves were able to turn the corner with him on his mechanics. There is no denying that he has been an absolute horse this year, experience a renaissance of sorts.

No one failed Javy. He dominated with us, he just crapped the bed when it mattered

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 09:42 PM)
I don't think there is any idea that we failed with Javy.

More like he failed with us, and the Yankees. If the Braves put him in a high-pressure situation, I'm sure that he'll fail with them as well.

But anyone who wants to rip on Javy needs to have the same concerns with Jake Peavy. Their situations are quite similar.

Peavy's two post-season starts against the Cardinals were indeed awful and he has a lot to prove. That said, he threw that horrible game in the '05 playoffs with a broken rib. And he hasn't gotten the boot from two different teams for being unable to man-up down the stretch.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
I don't think there is any idea that we failed with Javy. I have a feeling we did improve his mental makeup a bit, and perhaps the Braves were able to turn the corner with him on his mechanics. There is no denying that he has been an absolute horse this year, experience a renaissance of sorts.

Granted he is pitching in a pitcher's park, in a weaker league. But anyone who wants to rip on Javy needs to have the same concerns with Jake Peavy. Their situations are quite similar.

Javy has figured it out this year.

Before that he figured it out in 2007.

Before that he figured it out in Montreal.

Javy is Javy. He'll suck ass next year and if the Braves make the playoffs he'll keep them from winning games.

I also don't see why concerns with Jake would be similar. Javy pitched in the NL too and got lit up there as well by doing the same s*** we saw when he was here. Jake has yet to prove he's a mental midget on the mound, and really the only concern I see that they both share is their ability to blow up in the playoffs.

Here's something to look at:

Javy's numbers vs. career opponents (scroll down)

Peavy's numbers vs. career opponents (scroll down)

Javy also pitched in Montreal for quite a while and both have spent most of their days in the NL. Look at how much better Peavy's numbers are. Peavy for example is 7-4 with a 2.31 ERA, .216 BAA, .287 OBPA, .340 SLGA against the Astros in his career and they play in a hitters' dream and have always had some dangerous lineups. Off Javy OTOH they are hitting .280 with a .786 OPS. Just scroll down and look at the ERA and BAA against especially. Not all of that accounts for Petco. Peavy is just a much better pitcher, which is why he won a Cy Young and why he's considered an ace while Javy is just another career underachiever.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
I don't think there is any doubt that we failed with Javy. I have a feeling we did improve his mental makeup a bit, and perhaps the Braves were able to turn the corner with him on his mechanics. There is no denying that he has been an absolute horse this year, experience a renaissance of sorts.

Big Game's "good" years:

2001 Expos (68-94, 5th place) - BG 16-11 3.42ERA

2003 Expos (83-79 4th place) - BG 13-12 3.24ERA

2007 Sox (72-90 4th place) - BG 15-8 3.74ERA

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 11:57 PM)
More like he failed with us, and the Yankees. If the Braves put him in a high-pressure situation, I'm sure that he'll fail with them as well.

Peavy's two post-season starts against the Cardinals were indeed awful and he has a lot to prove. That said, he threw that horrible game in the '05 playoffs with a broken rib. And he hasn't gotten the boot from two different teams for being unable to man-up down the stretch.

Don't forget he wasn't exactly an ace his first three years with Montreal either.

BTW I'm not saying Javy is a bad pitcher either. He's actually very good. But, Javy is a #2-#4 depending on the season and Peavy is typically a #1-#2. Javy has always had the ability to be an ace but after watching him pitch here we all can see why that hasn't happened for him.

Javy is just one of those guys that stats people can never understand, and he's the perfect example of why you need to watch a baseball game. His WHIP is always pretty low, his K/9 is always very high, his BB/9 is always very low, so people look at the numbers and can't figure out what is wrong. Whoever it is that has the sig talking about Javy trying to patent the phrase "one bad pitch" and "one bad inning" is right on. He totally loses confidence and faith in his stuff and ends up throwing the wrong pitch in the wrong count (he'll throw a f***ing hanging curve 2-1/3-1 after he'd been dominating with his FB + CH), and often after getting into a jam by walking the speey #1/#2/#9 hitter after going 0-2 on him and then getting fancy trying to strike him out.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 10:58 PM)
Javy has figured it out this year.

Before that he figured it out in 2007.

Before that he figured it out in Montreal.

Javy is Javy. He'll suck ass next year and if the Braves make the playoffs he'll keep them from winning games.

I also don't see why concerns with Jake would be similar. Javy pitched in the NL too and got lit up there as well by doing the same s*** we saw when he was here. Jake has yet to prove he's a mental midget on the mound, and really the only concern I see that they both share is their ability to blow up in the playoffs.

Here's something to look at:

Javy's numbers vs. career opponents (scroll down)

Peavy's numbers vs. career opponents (scroll down)

Javy also pitched in Montreal for quite a while and both have spent most of their days in the NL. Look at how much better Peavy's numbers are. Peavy for example is 7-4 with a 2.31 ERA, .216 BAA, .287 OBPA, .340 SLGA against the Astros in his career and they play in a hitters' dream and have always had some dangerous lineups. Off Javy OTOH they are hitting .280 with a .786 OPS. Just scroll down and look at the ERA and BAA against especially. Not all of that accounts for Petco. Peavy is just a much better pitcher, which is why he won a Cy Young and why he's considered an ace while Javy is just another career underachiever.

Say whatever you want about the guy, there is no taking away 3 or 4 seasons he has put up, including this one, which is one of the best by anyone in the National League this year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:11 AM)
Say whatever you want about the guy, there is no taking away 3 or 4 seasons he has put up, including this one, which is one of the best by anyone in the National League this year.

I agree, he's having a great season. He did the same thing for us in 2007. He just isn't the type of pitcher that can stay mentally focused and confident. When he's not thinking and just out there letting his stuff work for itself and the guy behind the plate is keeping with what is working, he can be awesome. His 2-seamer is nasty, his change his nasty, he can throw a plus CB and a plus slider at times, I mean he has 4 pitches that can get people out. If he had the mentality of an ace he'd be one. But as history has shown, put some pressure on him and he fails (all of his great seasons were not tight playoff races) and once he hits a rough patch he can't work himself out of it. He's one of those guys who can go out there with great stuff and yet still give up a 5 spot in the 3rd inning through poor pitch selection, pecking at the corners, and lack of confidence in his breaking ball.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 10:08 PM)
Javy is just one of those guys that stats people can never understand, and he's the perfect example of why you need to watch a baseball game. His WHIP is always pretty low, his K/9 is always very high, his BB/9 is always very low, so people look at the numbers and can't figure out what is wrong. Whoever it is that has the sig talking about Javy trying to patent the phrase "one bad pitch" and "one bad inning" is right on. He totally loses confidence and faith in his stuff and ends up throwing the wrong pitch in the wrong count (he'll throw a f***ing hanging curve 2-1/3-1 after he'd been dominating with his FB + CH), and often after getting into a jam by walking the speey #1/#2/#9 hitter after going 0-2 on him and then getting fancy trying to strike him out.

Very good post. Many people assume that all pro athletes have similar levels of confidence and that they all handle pressure similarly, but it isn't like that at all. I could go on and on about pro athletes in every sport who've thrived under pressure vs. those who've wilted.

I honestly can't really disagree at all. However, you don't pitch this well this long into a season unless you have some confidence and have avoided making those bad pitches.

Who knows the kind of season he might be having this year were he still on our team.

I just hope that Jake shows me something different here than Javy did.