Scouts watching McCulloch...

JPN366

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 09:24 PM)
Why would any other team than the Blue Jays be watching him?

They're trying to get the most out of the Rios deal by looking at our crappy mid-level prospects.

Because I can't confirm from which team, so that's why I said that.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)
Because I can't confirm from which team, so that's why I said that.

Can you confirm to me via PM? I promise I won't tell anyone...

And even if it isn't the Jays I just hope he gets traded so the book can be finally closed on all those bad drafts and poor development projects. McCulloch + Fields to the Jays would be perfect.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 05:30 AM)

And even if it isn't the Jays I just hope he gets traded so the book can be finally closed on all those bad drafts and poor development projects. McCulloch + Fields to the Jays would be perfect.

I think he means he can't confirm because he isn't certain of what team they scout for.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
I'm waiting for the punch line:

Scouts watching McCulloch...

For laughs? Because they lost a bet? Instead of working?

The punchline is in the title. I don't think I've even so much as glanced at a McCulloch box score for years other than by accident. He's one of those guys you just pass over when seeing how the prospects are doing... and to think someone actually came to watch him pitch??

This is very exciting though. In the back of my mind I had been thinking about McCulloch in a Rios deal simply because the Jays could then title their headline "Rios Nets First Round Pick(s)."

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 10:10 PM)
For every wavier claim that gets reported by the media, 30 don't.

I'd say that would be more accurate. Half our roster has probably already been claimed on waivers. Especially Wise. I remember in 2005 there was a story that had people (think on WSI?) freaking out because Buehrle had been claimed by someone.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 11:32 PM)
I think he means he can't confirm because he isn't certain of what team they scout for.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I just saw scouts watching McCulloch and taking notes. Aside from the charting and gun readings done by the other starting pitchers in the stands.

McCulloch would make sense in a deal for Rios-a prospect in the high minors, not on the 40 man roster. You can never have enough young starting pitchers--those SP's in the minors [even if they aren't all that good] could be bullpen options in the majors.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:39 AM)
I'd say that would be more accurate. Half our roster has probably already been claimed on waivers. Especially Wise. I remember in 2005 there was a story that had people (think on WSI?) freaking out because Buehrle had been claimed by someone.

I remember in 2004 Boston freaked out because Manny was placed on waivers.

In any event, I hope McCulloch is traded so I can see the inevitable "We are very excited and envision him in the starting rotation next season" non-sense from whoever picks him up. Then I will laugh and laugh.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 08:29 AM)

In any event, I hope McCulloch is traded so I can see the inevitable "We are very excited and envision him in the starting rotation next season" non-sense from whoever picks him up. Then I will laugh and laugh.

We are excited and envision him throwing batting practice to our batters before the game next season.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:29 AM)

The difference with Manroid is that he was placed on irrevocable waivers.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 9, 2009 -> 10:30 PM)

Yes it would.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 09:04 AM)
Yes it would.

Except Fields would have to clear waivers to be part of a deal, and there's no reason to think he'd even make it to Toronto. The Padres or Orioles or Royals or someone like that would be happy to grab him for nothing.

McCulloch might be a good guy for the Jays in the sense that they could claim he's a former 1st rounder who just needs a change of scenery. Basically to tell fans, not only did we dump his contract but we got something that might be decent too (even though we all know he's crap).

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 06:29 AM)

Boston placed Manny on waivers hoping someone would have just taken his entire contract off of there hands.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
Except Fields would have to clear waivers to be part of a deal, and there's no reason to think he'd even make it to Toronto. The Padres or Orioles or Royals or someone like that would be happy to grab him for nothing.

Good point. Then someone else besides Josh instead.

I want the Rios deal done because I look at where we'll be this offseason (still needing a CF and a significant upgrade to the OF defense) and I think Rios is the best alternative. Crawford is a pipedream, and we may be outbid on Figgins, or his acquisition may otherwise require a compromise such as a contract longer than his projected usefulness. Who knows that Rios won't be attractive to a team like the Yankees or Mets this offseason? - teams that won't be bothered so much by his contract.

Now is a unique opportunity for acquiring CF stability, without losing major prospects or high draft picks. Get it done!

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
Now is a unique opportunity for acquiring CF stability, without losing major prospects or high draft picks. Get it done!

If KW is able to do that he'll do it. It's going to be largely up to Riccardi and the Blue Jays Ownership to decide how desperate they are to shed salary though. If they actually want a substantial return, then KW can and should just sit on his hands.