Scouts watching McCulloch...

JPN366

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
If KW is able to do that he'll do it. It's going to be largely up to Riccardi and the Blue Jays Ownership to decide how desperate they are to shed salary though. If they actually want a substantial return, then KW can and should just sit on his hands.

It just depends of the definition of substantial, doesn't it?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 12:41 PM)
It just depends of the definition of substantial, doesn't it?

Frankly, no. With his contract and performance this year, I wouldn't give up anything that I judge has any shot of helpingmy big league roster any time soon. Pretty simple

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 10, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
Now, that McCulloch isn’t going to Toronto, can we please promote him to AAA?

You really need to stop this. The Dash doesn't have anyone else ready to step up. Johnnie Lowe got an in-season promotion with an ERA above 4. McCulloch can help the Barons and that team has been raided already.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:06 AM)
You really need to stop this. The Dash doesn't have anyone else ready to step up. Johnnie Lowe got an in-season promotion with an ERA above 4. McCulloch can help the Barons and that team has been raided already.

Really? McCulloch’s been producing middling, mediocre results in Birmingham for two and a half years now. He’s nearly 25 years old. He clearly has very little chance at a big league future, but retains a limited amount of value because he was a former 1st round pick. That’s sounds like someone who would be best served in AAA to me. We have Anthony Carter and Jacob Rasner in Winston-Salem, they haven’t been lighting it up, but a promotion for each of them isn’t out of the question. They stand to offer this organization much more then McCulloch ever will if developed correctly. The coaching staff at Birmingham would best nurture this talent. Oh, and the last thing we should worry about is whether we win the AA championship. I’m concerned with developing major league talent, not minor league trophies.

If you are talking about Kyle McCulloch the only thing you can talk about is minor league trophies. He isn't blocking anyone in need of a promotion for the final 3+ weeks. I just don't see the logic in promoting a player that is already putting up mediocre results.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 01:16 AM)
Really? McCulloch’s been producing middling, mediocre results in Birmingham for two and a half years now. He’s nearly 25 years old. He clearly has very little chance at a big league future, but retains a limited amount of value because he was a former 1st round pick. That’s sounds like someone who would be best served in AAA to me. We have Anthony Carter and Jacob Rasner in Winston-Salem, they haven’t been lighting it up, but a promotion for each of them isn’t out of the question. They stand to offer this organization much more then McCulloch ever will if developed correctly. The coaching staff at Birmingham would best nurture this talent. Oh, and the last thing we should worry about is whether we win the AA championship. I’m concerned with developing major league talent, not minor league trophies.

There is no reason to push Rasner or Carter or anyone else through to AA for 2 or 3 starts. Let them finish where they are and re-evaluate them next year. There is no reason to move McCulloch to AAA. He has been mediocre at the AA level and has not earned the AAA promotion. He does, however, help the AA team and at this point in the season it is best served for everyone to leave him there. There is something to be said about breeding a winning attitude in the minors. Winning in the minors does matter. An attitude like that towards our affiliates is the absolute wrong way to go.

Regardless of everything, the Barons winning or losing the Southern League championship won't hinge on Kyle McCulloch. He's probably the 4th option as a starter in the playoffs behind Matt Long, Charlie Shirek and John Ely. They've kept Long's innings down while he's been in B'ham, only recently has he moved into the rotation. So, his arm is fresh.

Edited by JPN366