Does Wise have dirt on Ozzie or Kenny?

son of a rude

I wouldn't worry too much. We don't need a 5th starter for another week or so, so that's the reason Torres was sent down. Once we bring up another starter, Wise will be gone. They're just delaying the inevitable in keeping Wise.

I read this comment from KW:

Williams said, "All of [the current outfielders] need breaks, too. ... And what that also does for you in this season is by having that versatility and strength, a guy like a [Mark] Kotsay will be on the bench if he's not in the lineup and it will be one of [scott] Podsednik, Rios, Dye or [Carlos] Quentin that's also on the bench. Your bench, all of a sudden, you have right-handers and left-handers and speed coming off your bench.

I concluded Wise-------he gone. Then I got to thinking. They don't need a 5th starter until Aug. 23. Rosters go to 40 Sept. 1. Wise is like Houdini. They will find a way to keep him those 9 days and carry him in Sept. He's a White Sox the rest of the season IMO.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 03:19 AM)
Torres was sent down today to make room for Rios. I honestly don't get it. We have 6 out fielders now... on an AL team... Who is going to be the 5th starter until Peavy comes? This scrub is a career minor leaguer. Ozzie's love for Wise is unbelievable.

We don't need a 5th starter for a while, so there was no point in keeping Torres. Keeping Wise allows us flexibility late in games if we need a runner for one of our power guys. This isn't a big deal. Ozzie has barely played him since Kotsay got here so he's being used correctly right now (ie. basically not at all). It isn't like they let Kotsay go in favor of him. But you're right, Wise blackmailing them makes much more sense.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
We don't need a 5th starter for a while, so there was no point in keeping Torres. Keeping Wise allows us flexibility late in games if we need a runner for one of our power guys. This isn't a big deal.

exactly. keeping torres on the roster makes no sense.

and what has torres done in his time here to earn a longer look or another start?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 07:24 AM)
We don't need a 5th starter for a while, so there was no point in keeping Torres. Keeping Wise allows us flexibility late in games if we need a runner for one of our power guys. This isn't a big deal. Ozzie has barely played him since Kotsay got here so he's being used correctly right now (ie. basically not at all). It isn't like they let Kotsay go in favor of him. But you're right, Wise blackmailing them makes much more sense.

Fine. But then Ozzie shouldn't complain about his bullpen being overworked in the next week or two.

The way the starters have been going, perhaps an extra arm in the pen would be more valuable than a sixth OFer. It's their call so lets see how it pans out.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 06:59 AM)
exactly. keeping torres on the roster makes no sense.

and what has torres done in his time here to earn a longer look or another start?

Had one decent start and one bad start which you can say about just about all our starters in their last 2 starts.

First of all, I think the mindset is that Pods and Rios will both be starters, for the most part. You're going to see rests and DH days for Dye, Thome and CQ.

So with that in mind, their earlier initial need for a pinch runner remains.

Second, rosters expand in three weeks so they dont really have that many games they need tons of pitchers for

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
Have we heard officially that they're skipping the 5th starter next time it's up?

I would think it's Carrasco, since they dont want to rush Hudson and Garcia is still prepping

I would think so, too. There isn't a viable starter down in A ball right now. That's why trading Clayton kinda screwed us. Maybe Lucas Harrell, 4-1 record with a 3.26 ERA isn't too bad.

All the flexibility we need is the 4th outfielder who has the day off and Kotsay... Please explain to me how having Wise up here is more important than having an extra reliever.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
All the flexibility we need is the 4th outfielder who has the day off and Kotsay... Please explain to me how having Wise up here is more important than having an extra reliever.

Defensive replacement in the outfield at the end of close games. He is still the second best outfielder behind Rios. With our current defense we need that defense at the and of games.

Defensive replacement in the outfield at the end of close games. He is still the second best outfielder behind Rios. With our current defense we need that defense at the and of games.

Yes, he is better than Kotsay as a late inning defense replacement. I think an extra arm in the bullpen would be more valuable than wise though. Our bullpen has been s***. They need all the rest they can get.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
Yes, he is better than Kotsay as a late inning defense replacement. I think an extra arm in the bullpen would be more valuable than wise though. Our bullpen has been s***. They need all the rest they can get.

I'm not sure Wise is better than Kotsay defensively. Kotsay doesn't have the range, but he is a guy who knows the position really well - he'll take better routes, get better jumps, and has a better arm. I'd take Kotsay over Wise defensively, though its close. And with the bat its not close at all.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
I wouldn't worry too much. We don't need a 5th starter for another week or so, so that's the reason Torres was sent down. Once we bring up another starter, Wise will be gone. They're just delaying the inevitable in keeping Wise.

You are right I think. Read the stories about who gets playing time and Wise isn't mentioned

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)

Wise is one of the best options we have to pinch run and is a better defensive player than Quentin or Dye and arguably better than Kotsay. Also, since Kotsay is PK's backup if we bring him in to play 1B it leaves Wise. And we don't know if Quentin is going to hold up.

Would an extra reliever be nice? Yes, but it's not like we have someone great to bring up. Nunez looked ok but he is unproven, Whisler got bombed, Torres isn't an option, Egbert got bombed, JVB is crap, Link has been crap lately, Wasserman is hurt (right?)...

We have a 7 man bullpen right now and Jenks should be fresh since he hasn't pitched much lately due to the kidney stones.

The only argument to be made would be to call up someone like Fernando Hernandez or Clevelan Santeliz, but again, they are largely unproven. Instead of taking a flier on one of those guys I'd rather have the injury insurance, pinch running, defensive replacement capabilities of Wise for the next 3 weeks.

Now, that Scotty Pods is officially are pseudo-4th OF, Wise has no place on this team. Kotsay stays, because he can play 1st. we have no need for a 5th of, who can’t hit. Wise will be swapped for Nunez before Friday. Well... he better be.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Now, that Scotty Pods is officially are pseudo-4th OF, Wise has no place on this team. Kotsay stays, because he can play 1st. we have no need for a 5th of, who can’t hit. Wise will be swapped for Nunez before Friday. Well... he better be.

That's what was said during the Anderson/Wise debacle. It didn't happen then...