8/11 Games

flavum

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)
Final line for Freddy.

6.0 IP 8 H 2 R 2 ER 0 BB 9 SO.

And Kaminska (Naperville boy) pitching for the Marlins farm against Kanny. Seems like Florida really likes scouting midwest kids.

Naperville Central :notworthy

Kanny loses, 8-3. Griffith wth a poor outing and KW Jr. continues to not be able to hit. It's kind of crazy when you think that our #1 draft pick, the best athlete in our minor league system, and our projected leadoff hitter of the future is being displaced in the one hole by a guy hitting .242 with a BB/K rate of 14/64.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...ox&did=milb

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:16 PM)
Kanny loses, 8-3. Griffith wth a poor outing and KW Jr. continues to not be able to hit. It's kind of crazy when you think that our #1 draft pick, the best athlete in our minor league system, and our projected leadoff hitter of the future is being displaced in the one hole by a guy hitting .242 with a BB/K rate of 14/64.

I agree that we should have Mitchell batting leadoff, but...

Just wanted to point out that KW Jr. was 12/21 in his last 5 games before tonight.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:16 PM)

He's hitting .333 over his last 10 games and his last 10 games prior to last night it was over .350

Mitchell has never been projected as our leadoff hitter of the future. Stop making stuff up.

It's not a big deal.

So... is it time to talk a little bit about Seth Loman? He's old for his level, but it looks like he had one bad year in Rookie ball in 2006, but then has raked when repeating Rookie in 2007, put up big numbers in Independent ball in 2008, and now big numbers at two levels of A ball.

If he can put up similar numbers in AA late this year or next year... he's a lefty power-hitting 1B, which we seem to need. His walk rate way too low, but his K rate isn't terrible. His numbers remind me a bit of Micah Schnurstein.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
And look where he's at now. A lot of things will have to go right for Loman to ever enter the prospect picture IMO.

Yeah, that was part of my point - I'm on the fence as to whether or not to call him a "prospect" at all, though I think at the least he is worth keeping an eye on. As I said, if he can put up gaudy numbers in AA, and/or improve the walk rate, I think he starts to get interesting.

Voyagers get no love. Not even a mention.

They played yesterday too and beat the Casper Ghosts 3-2. Jordan Cheatham's RBI double in the top of the sixth inning provided the difference The 21-year-old Cheatham, a 43rd-round selection in the 2006 amateur draft out of Indianapolis, Ind., went 1-for-4 and is leading the Voyagers roster with a .331 batting average. Righthander Joucer Martinez worked six innings and improved to 3-1 on the mound this summer, lowering his earned-run average to a respectable 3.33. Voyagers' righty Brandon Kloess got his fourth save with three scoreless innings. He struck out three and now ranks second in the Pioneer with 49 strikeouts on the season. Kevin Dubler was 2-for-4 for Great Falls.

I wouldn't say Loman is old for A ball, he is still only 23. Seems like the Angels gave up on him a little too quickly. In regards to Schnurstein, I could tell by his demeanor last year and from what I'd heard from BamaJason who had talked to him, that his heart wasn't into baseball anymore. He chose not to accept a demotion last summer. I think Brandon Short of Kanny should get some love. He's averaging a RBI every other game.