East Coast baseball bias

.Rush

of course its biased, honestly the Red Sox-Yankees doesn't even interest me. I mean those teams play 19 times a year. I'd rather watch White Sox-Cubs, they only play 6 times a year and havent played each other 2,000 times.

The Northeast is indeed completely full of itself, but let's not forget that baseball is absolutely huge out there. Much more so than in Chicago, Detroit, LA, San Fran, Seattle, Denver, Phoenix, Dallas, etc. St. Louis is probably on par per capita, but even during the Patriots dynasty and the recent Celtics and Giants championships, the Yankees and Red Sox still ruled the sports world out there.

Why did research have to be done on this? It's pretty obvious that on sportscenter the baseball highlights start with complete in depth highlight of the red sox and yankees, then they break down the pitching from each team and the divisional race. Then they show 30-45 second highlights for every other game in the majors. It's a joke.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 10:24 PM)
Why did research have to be done on this? It's pretty obvious that on sportscenter the baseball highlights start with complete in depth highlight of the red sox and yankees, then they break down the pitching from each team and the divisional race. Then they show 30-45 second highlights for every other game in the majors. It's a joke.

Hell, I feel like half the time our games don't even show up on Sportscenter at all. There are times that I watch these live SCs and our game doesn't show up until the 3rd time around when they cut some stuff out of other pieces. That's right, I watch the same SC 3 times sometimes...

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
Hell, I feel like half the time our games don't even show up on Sportscenter at all. There are times that I watch these live SCs and our game doesn't show up until the 3rd time around when they cut some stuff out of other pieces. That's right, I watch the same SC 3 times sometimes...

Don't worry we've all done it

The fact that Peter Gammons, a season ticket holder for the Red Sux, is on the network, says something.

The bias can be easily summed up by this. After Sloppy Papi's name came up in the steroid stuff, they declared that all championships over the past 10 years were now tainted. F you. Boston's two best players were users (not buying this over the counter excuse crap). I don't feel the '05 championship was tainted. No way.

F you Boston.

F you New York.

F both your accents.

Go WHITE SOX!

If someone only knows a little bit about baseball they know the Yankees and their biggest rivals. The Yankees are #1 internationally and nationally. If your paycheck depended on ratings, who would you lead off with?

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)
If someone only knows a little bit about baseball they know the Yankees and their biggest rivals. The Yankees are #1 internationally and nationally. If your paycheck depended on ratings, who would you lead off with?

The Pirates. Everyone loves pirate stories.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 08:58 AM)
The Pirates. Everyone loves pirate stories.

One Halloween a cute eight year old walks up to a grandmother's door dressed as a pirate. The grandma exclaims "oh my, how scary, a pirate! Tell me pirate where are your buccaneers?" The eight year old looks at her, points to his head and explains, "under my buckin' cap!"

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 09:03 AM)
Personally, I love them taking what the rogue Balco worker said (Ortiz could have simply taken supplements and tested positive in 2003) and using it as some sort of near absolute proof that he was clean.

I love that it took Sloppy a week to come up with this. Did anyone ask why his numbers went up when he joined up with a known user, in Ramirez? Again, F em all.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 08:52 AM)

This is a very valid point. ESPN is not a public service and any commerical entity has to give the people what they want. However, it seems to me that ESPN's slant towards most things Eastern is manifested by more than just air time and which team's coverage leads off. There's a lot of overall fawning and slurping that creeps into their supposed "sports journalism."

The above-cited "Big Papi v. Thome" comment is a prime example, as is the one about all of the last 10 World Series being "tainted." Imo, their bias is reflected in both the quality and quantity of their coverage and analysis.

The whole East Coast Bias is a legit argument.

Just notice how the Arod-steroid thing has kind of vanished from tv. They don't ever mention how tainted those Red Sox teams have been.It gets tossed out on one of the shows so they can give the quick update on when Ortiz was going to speak but otherwise - nada.

Then when its time for positive chatter - it seems to heavily weigh on the East. Which is fine by me. Takes a perfect game to get some love.

The thing I've disliked most as of late is with the Rios move. When he was been in Toronto - they've always raved about his abilities and his upside and everything else. He gets dealt away and now he is just ok. Forget that he'll put up similar numbers to a Granderson or Sizemore - two guys that ESPN (in particular PG, are obsessed with) - and forget that the guy is only 28 with a contract that is hardly terrible even in our economy. Had he been dealt to the BoSox or NY, it would be marked as one of the best pickups ever.

I don't know. Maybe I'm overreacting but it doesn't seem to vanish which is why I spend more time watching highlights on MLB, NFL, and NHL respective networks then I do ESPN anymore.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
Just notice how the Arod-steroid thing has kind of vanished from tv. They don't ever mention how tainted those Red Sox teams have been.It gets tossed out on one of the shows so they can give the quick update on when Ortiz was going to speak but otherwise - nada.

How about all the non-stop excitement for Ramirez again...they were making a big deal every time he came up, like he is so f***ing great. How did we all just forget he's a cheater?

For God's sake...ESPN isn't a monopoly. They were, for baseball, until this year. Go over to MLBTV. It's vastly more balanced. They give even games between last place teams a fair shake. They do it for a reason; because ESPN doesn't. They're literally trying to serve the rest of the fans. Stop complaining about it and change the channel.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
If you live on the east coast they admit there is bias. They don't know where Illinois is. And most believe that Chicago is a southern city. I'm not kidding.

Haha that is true. I have a lot of family from Jersey and NY and they're proud of the bias. Most of them are Yankee fans and they feel the world should revolve around their "Yankees Baby".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 02:56 PM)
For God's sake...ESPN isn't a monopoly. They were, for baseball, until this year. Go over to MLBTV. It's vastly more balanced. They give even games between last place teams a fair shake. They do it for a reason; because ESPN doesn't. They're literally trying to serve the rest of the fans. Stop complaining about it and change the channel.

Some of us don't get MLBN. Actually, I would guess a lot of people don't.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

i don't see it as east coast bias. i see it as ratings-driven yankees and red sox bias. cubs fall in here, too.

i don't personally notice any extra coverage to the orioles, nationals, marlins, rays, blue jays, braves, etc. the phillies get a bit extra because they are defending champs, mets get a bit extra because they are a new york team and it's the nation's biggest media market.

to me this is all ratings driven. people have strong feelings about the yankees and red sox. few people have no opinion of them and thus they get better ratings.

if the sox had the type of nationwide fanbase or nationwide detractors these other teams do, they'd be mentioned more. as a sox fan it sucks because my teams gets marginalized, but i can say that (largely because of the championship, ozzie, and kw) they are much more prominent then they were five or six years ago.