East Coast baseball bias

.Rush

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
i don't see it as east coast bias. i see it as ratings-driven yankees and red sox bias. cubs fall in here, too.

i don't personally notice any extra coverage to the orioles, nationals, marlins, rays, blue jays, braves, etc. the phillies get a bit extra because they are defending champs, mets get a bit extra because they are a new york team and it's the nation's biggest media market.

to me this is all ratings driven. people have strong feelings about the yankees and red sox. few people have no opinion of them and thus they get better ratings.

if the sox had the type of nationwide fanbase or nationwide detractors these other teams do, they'd be mentioned more. as a sox fan it sucks because my teams gets marginalized, but i can say that (largely because of the championship, ozzie, and kw) they are much more prominent then they were five or six years ago.

It is more of a BoSox and Yankees thing. Mets fall in there too and so do the Cubs...It's a case with Boston and New York that their is a great chance that they're playing one of the other East Coast teams which groups it together but you're absolutely right it is the smart business move in their eyes because there are so many Yankee/Saux/and Cub fans for instance that they are pleasing those fans.

It's just overwhelming and these newer league networks are great because they are really trying to avoid the bias in their respective sports.

ESPN is located smack in the middle of the PED Sox/Yankmee divide. Inevitably, most of their employees will be fans of said teams, along with the Mets to a lesser degree. This comes through in the broadscast.

They do a great job of serving the Greater Hartford Area, but WWL? No, not for baseball.

Counting the days until I can justify upping my cable package to include MLBN.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 04:19 PM)
It is more of a BoSox and Yankees thing. Mets fall in there too and so do the Cubs...It's a case with Boston and New York that their is a great chance that they're playing one of the other East Coast teams which groups it together but you're absolutely right it is the smart business move in their eyes because there are so many Yankee/Saux/and Cub fans for instance that they are pleasing those fans.

It's just overwhelming and these newer league networks are great because they are really trying to avoid the bias in their respective sports.

agreed. a station like the mlb network is a niche product so they can be more even-handed in their coverage. their audience is by definition baseball fans so it's more likely that their average viewer is going to be interested in more than yankees/sawks/coob.

espn, on the other hand, started as a niche network but outgrew it. in all of their programming their goal is to appeal to the broadest possible audience. so you get way more coverage of a few popular teams at the expense of balanced and in-depth coverage of all.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 07:58 AM)
Haha that is true. I have a lot of family from Jersey and NY and they're proud of the bias. Most of them are Yankee fans and they feel the world should revolve around their "Yankees Baby".

My wife's family lives in CT, and even the ones who don't regularly watch games have very strong feeling about their Yankees, Red Sox, or Mets.

If people in California cared about their local teams as much, we'd be watching endless Dodgers/Giants highlights and analysis.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 08:43 AM)
If people in California cared about their local teams as much, we'd be watching endless Dodgers/Giants highlights and analysis.

No you wouldn't. The big thing against L.A. is the time difference. By the time those games are over, 1/2 the country is watching Conan or is asleep.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
No you wouldn't. The big thing against L.A. is the time difference. By the time those games are over, 1/2 the country is watching Conan or is asleep.

The East Coast would be watching the highlights the next morning. I'm not saying that they'd stay up until 1 am to watch the games in their entirety.

If the Dodgers/Giants/Angels/Padres could get the ratings on the East Coast, they'd start the games an hour earlier. Monday Night Football doesn't start until 9 pm on the East Coast, and it doesn't deter people from watching. The time difference definitely plays into it, but another major factor is that a enormous portion of California's population are transplants who follow the teams that they grew up with. This is the major reason that L.A. still doesn't have an NFL team.

Edited by WCSox