White Sox acquire Andy Cannizaro

prochisox

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Indians have traded infielder Andy Cannizaro to the Chicago White Sox for cash considerations.

The Indians announced Thursday that Cannizaro will be assigned to Charlotte, Chicago's Triple-A affiliate. He was batting .269 with one homer and 19 RBI in 50 games at Triple-A Columbus.

Cannizaro, 30, was selected by the New York Yankees in the seventh round of the 2001 draft. He has also played with the Tampa Bay organization.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/12061291/rss

This guy doesnt look worthless with the bat. Can take a walk apparently.

Judging from his career minor league #s, he looks like a guy who couldnt get out of AA at a decent age but then began hitting at AAA after the age of 27. Hasnt really had an ML chance

Edited by Princess Dye

White Sox Acquire Andy Cannizaro From Indians

By Jason Gage

SoxNet

No word on what the Sox plans are for Cannizaro, but I ultimately believe this move had more to do with AAA than the majors. The conspiracy theorist out there may think Cannizaro was acquired to replace Getz (who'd go on the DL), but even if Getz injury was more serious than we've been told (leading to the DL), the Sox would first turn to Brent Lillibridge.

"No word on what the Sox plans are for Cannizaro, but I ultimately believe this move had more to do with AAA than the majors. The conspiracy theorist out there may think Cannizaro was acquired to replace Getz (who'd go on the DL), but even if Getz injury was more serious than we've been told (leading to the DL), the Sox would first turn to Brent Lillibridge."

Ugh, I hope not.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
"No word on what the Sox plans are for Cannizaro, but I ultimately believe this move had more to do with AAA than the majors. The conspiracy theorist out there may think Cannizaro was acquired to replace Getz (who'd go on the DL), but even if Getz injury was more serious than we've been told (leading to the DL), the Sox would first turn to Brent Lillibridge."

Ugh, I hope not.

He wouldn't start. He'd be a depth option who can play plus defense at multiple positions. Is it a great option, no, but is he better than Cannizaro, absolutely.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
What is the injury with Getz?

Sounded minor but I thought I heard Hawk/DJ say he had a sore side or something along those lines and it was why he wasn't in the lineup last night. They mentioned it around the 13th inning.