Cub Fan Incident with Beer

elrockinMT

Heres Great idea for Wrgley Field

The White Sox recently stenciled

"The Catch"

At the spot in Left Center where Wise caught the ball to preserve a perfect game.

How about the cubs stenciling

"The Toss"

In Left Center where Johnny "Mashman" Macchione tossed the beer on Victorino? :lolhitting

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 10:00 PM)
Up the left field line - "The Dumbass."

A tribute to Bartman.

Meh leave Bartman alone unless you're going to put tributes to the other fans that reached for the ball too, or leave leave 8 baseballs there to signify the runs the Cubs gave up after that.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
Meh leave Bartman alone unless you're going to put tributes to the other fans that reached for the ball too, or leave leave 8 baseballs there to signify the runs the Cubs gave up after that.

And if you'd get out of the way of a ball that's out of the field of play as well.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)

A wreath memorial with eight baseballs in it at the base of the wall.

"Never Forget"

ha!

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
Obviously their fans aren't dumping beer on players every game, but more often than any other stadium -- combined -- they'll throw trash on the field.

It's a completely different animal being in those bleachers, where drunkeness is celebrated and renowned throughout the baseball world.

To me, this the big difference. If this same incident happened at USCF, there would be an entire section of people pointing out the lowlife who threw the beer. They would be gone so fast their head would spin. At Wrigley, no one said a damned thing, because it is cool there. Every fan base has its morons, but only one fan base actually celebrates and encourages their idiots.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 10:18 PM)

Can we also put this statue at shortstop?

gonzoboot.jpg

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
Reds/Cubs game where Cubs fans got the bright idea of throwing all the souvenier baseballs onto the field at the same time in disgust after a Reds HR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky9Kso9q_Ws

I'd forgotten about this, but I think Marty's comments say a lot. When it comes to s*** like that, Cub fans are in a (low) class by themselves.

I'm an old-school, biased, Cub-Hating, White Sox fan. I admit it. But Brennaman is a HOF'er. He has seen lots of baseball in lots of park over lots of years. He took a lot of flack for his comments here, but to his credit, he called it as he saw it and never backed down.

I'm not as old as Marty, but I've watched a lot of sports. For a long time, places like Oakland, Philadelphia, and Cleveland were thought of as hostile, sometimes even dangerous places to play because of their fans' conduct. Over the last 10 years, however, the total s*** that's gone down at Wrigley has surpassed whatever happened to earn those places their reputations (combined).

There are bad apples everywhere, and no stadium or team is immune. But they trash their field at least a couple times per season now. To the best of my knowledge, nobody else does that.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:55 PM)
So....I'm the only one who found the beer incident funny?

Would it have been funny if the beer distracted him enough to where the ball hit him square in the face? That was a definite possibility.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:19 PM)
Would it have been funny if the beer distracted him enough to where the ball hit him square in the face? That was a definite possibility.

you know what they say, if IF was a fifth we'd all be drunk.

I didn't say that every hypothetical scenario surrounding the beer incident was funny, so to answer your question, no, that would not have been funny. To stay on subject though, Victorino got beer spilled on him, the man responsible has been arrested...it's ok to laugh now.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 08:51 PM)
I'd forgotten about this, but I think Marty's comments say a lot. When it comes to s*** like that, Cub fans are in a (low) class by themselves.

I'm an old-school, biased, Cub-Hating, White Sox fan. I admit it. But Brennaman is a HOF'er. He has seen lots of baseball in lots of park over lots of years. He took a lot of flack for his comments here, but to his credit, he called it as he saw it and never backed down.

I'm not as old as Marty, but I've watched a lot of sports. For a long time, places like Oakland, Philadelphia, and Cleveland were thought of as hostile, sometimes even dangerous places to play because of their fans' conduct. Over the last 10 years, however, the total s*** that's gone down at Wrigley has surpassed whatever happened to earn those places their reputations (combined).

There are bad apples everywhere, and no stadium or team is immune. But they trash their field at least a couple times per season now. To the best of my knowledge, nobody else does that.

I think the worst thing I can remember seeing is Pittsburgh fans throwing alkaline batteries at Dave Parker (who was a Pirate at the time) because he wasn't playing well enough in their opinion.

No one has thrown batteries at Soriano yet, so Pittsburgh still holds the all-time douche title.

White Sox fans threw a bunch of coins at Reggie Jackson once - he picked them up and thanked the fans for the tip, IIRC.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 07:57 AM)
I think the worst thing I can remember seeing is Pittsburgh fans throwing alkaline batteries at Dave Parker (who was a Pirate at the time) because he wasn't playing well enough in their opinion.

No one has thrown batteries at Soriano yet, so Pittsburgh still holds the all-time douche title.

White Sox fans threw a bunch of coins at Reggie Jackson once - he picked them up and thanked the fans for the tip, IIRC.

Didnt Philly fans do that to JD Drew too?

Cleveland "fans" are known for throwing batteries as well. They had a story on-line about it the other day. They chased Rickey Henderson so shallow that they could only throw them so far that they landed at his feet...eventually, he got pulled from the game.

QUOTE (SAVVY18 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)
Cleveland "fans" are known for throwing batteries as well. They had a story on-line about it the other day. They chased Rickey Henderson so shallow that they could only throw them so far that they landed at his feet...eventually, he got pulled from the game.

The kings of the bandwagon fans...

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 07:57 AM)

It depends upon whether you measure the "all-time douche" title by frequency or severity. I also remember batteries thrown in Philly at JD Drew, coins at Albert Belle in Cleveland, etc. There's no question that hard objects like that can be more dangerous when thrown with intent to injure, and that the few, individual jagoffs who did that in those cities are up at the very top of the douche-o-meter.

But those events stand out in memory because they are in fact rare, isolated incidents (thank goodness). However, totally different sets of Cub fans are throwing objects on the field ALL THE TIME. Granted, the home run balls (every other home game) are not thrown maliciously, and the garbage (2 or 3 times a season) is usually not thrown at any body, but compared to the rest of the league, it sure seems like stuff gets thrown onto the field there more than any place else. The fact that some thrown objects are accepted and condoned as "tradition" cannot be mere coincidence. When you put yesterday's beer toss and the Randy Meyers, Chad Kreuter, and Bobby Howry attacks in a total context along with thrown home run balls, O-Henry bars, and random assorted garbage, I think a strong case can be made that the Wrigley spectators (I won't even say Cub fans) are the "douchiest" in all of sport.

I, of course, am a just a jealous, White trash Sox fan who lives in the past. Just like Cincinnati's Marty Brennaman.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 07:25 AM)
Never feel bad for PETA people.

I normally wouldn't, but if they try to protest outside an Eagles game, I feel like the treatment they"ll get from those psychos would make Vick's fighting dogs say "Whoa, that's a little harsh".