Note to all you youngsters...

Reddy

Adrian Beltre didnt...

Adrian Beltre-3B-Mariners Aug. 13 - 7:53 pm et

Mariners placed 3B Adrian Beltre on the 15-day disabled list with an injured testicle.

Cue the laugh track. Beltre, who doesn't wear a protective cup, had a ball clip him in the groin during Wednesday's game. There was some tearing and internal bleeding. The team is waiting to see if he will require surgery. With surgery, he would be out a month. Without, roughly two weeks. Beltre's certainly been snake-bit in his free agent season.

My junior year, I didn't play at all and we were playing another team in our conference that was in the way of us winning conference so figured I wouldn't get in since it would be close. Didn't wear a cup, we ended up getting up big and I played.

Nothing happened, but it was the only time I never wore won. Uncomfortable as hell, but better off with it.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
My brother in law knew a guy who got shot in the nuts while playing paintball and the testicle popped out.

That is awful. I would rather get shot with a real gun. Not in the nuts though.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
My brother in law knew a guy who got shot in the nuts while playing paintball and the testicle popped out.

Wow thanks a lot, I was going to go paintball one last time before college next week.

Now I might reconsider.

I've been paintballing numerous times, never wore a cup before. Never thought of the consequences. Now you've just made me realize this and have made me totally uninterested. Thanks...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 08:53 PM)
Wow thanks a lot, I was going to go paintball one last time before college next week.

Now I might reconsider.

I've been paintballing numerous times, never wore a cup before. Never thought of the consequences. Now you've just made me realize this and have made me totally uninterested. Thanks...

LOL do you wear a paintball holster? If so, i have used that.

If it makes you feel better, i think it was a close range shot. I had a friend get hit in the nuts once. He was in pain for a while, but he was ok.

Wow, as for the paintball thing, once me and 2 of my friends were playing a 3 vs. 2 game against 2 cops and I got shot up real bad. I was also shot in my inner thigh, and later that night when I was changing my clothes I noticed that the paintball missed my right testicle by just 2 inches.

Ever since then, I always wore a cup, lol.

I almost ALWAYS wore a cup playing baseball. I played a lot of 3rd and 1st if I wasn't a pitcher and balls have tendencies to take bad hops on you when you aren't playing on the best fields, so I never had any issues. I even wore a cup as a pitcher because I was always afraid of line drives back at me. I actually threw better with a cup than without so every time I pitched, I had my cup on. I've played without a cup probably less than 5 times my entire life.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 07:55 AM)
I got clocked in the sac with a slap shot, and I was wearing a cup and it still hurt like hell. I can't imagine not having been wearing a cup.

I played goal in a mens' floor hockey for a couple years and never wore a cup. I felt like it hurt my flexibility - of course, a slapper to the junk would have seriously hurt my flexibility, too.

It was a very stupid decision, but luckily it never came back to haunt me.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 09:53 AM)
I played goal in a mens' floor hockey for a couple years and never wore a cup. I felt like it hurt my flexibility - of course, a slapper to the junk would have seriously hurt my flexibility, too.

It was a very stupid decision, but luckily it never came back to haunt me.

Well, we're talking ice hockey vs floor hockey. That puck would likely remove my testicles from my body if correctly placed.

I watched a good friend get hit in the junk with a tennis ball (thrown by one of my other good friends at close range), a week later, the friend who got hit was at the Bears game and couldn't even climb the stairs at soldier field, had to be rushed to the hospital and ended up having one of his nuts removed since it had been twisted around the other one and the bottom one had died.

I was a 100% cup wearer when I played baseball, probably because I was a catcher, but I think I would have anyway, nothing worse than getting hit in the nuts.

I wore one behind the plate but not when I was playing the field. Usually when I wasn't starting at catcher, I never was brought in later. Except once, we had a small lead and the other team was running all over the place. Six stolen bases in one inning, so the coach calls time and motions for me to put on the gear. LOL, I ran into the dugout and had all the guys stand around me while I put on my cup. :lolhitting

I took a foul tip that went under my mitt and bounced up and off the cup. That watered my eyes for ten minutes, no way I would have survived without a cup.

The wierdest injury I've ever seen on the field was when a La Crosse player had his scrotum slit open by another player's broken stick. A testicle came rolling out but still attached. It was hanging like a yo-yo. I picked it up with a towel, handed it to him and said "I think this belongs to you." The ambulance took him to the ER and later on I found out the MD just rolled it up and sutured up the scrotum and it was fine.

Moral of the story: YES,WEAR A CUP!!!

I have zero idea how people don't wear a cup playing baseball, let alone any sport. We were taught that it was mandatory equipment in tball, and once you play a few years, you have no idea it's there. Does not inhibit performance. There are so many situations where you can get hit by a ball or other player (ever think of a fielder stepping on you with metal spikes as you slide into a base? I've seen that happen).

It's a shame it takes an incident for people to realize they should wear one. It's like a seat belt. Not wearing one doesn't make you tough, it just makes you an idiot.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
The wierdest injury I've ever seen on the field was when a La Crosse player had his scrotum slit open by another player's broken stick. A testicle came rolling out but still attached. It was hanging like a yo-yo. I picked it up with a towel, handed it to him and said "I think this belongs to you." The ambulance took him to the ER and later on I found out the MD just rolled it up and sutured up the scrotum and it was fine.

Moral of the story: YES,WEAR A CUP!!!

That is a hilarious story. La Crosse players have a f***ed up sense of humor.