SOX @ Oakland, 9:05 PM. WGN.

MHizzle85

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
He doesn't make the highlight type errors that Soriano does, but Quentin is one of the worst outfielders in baseball.

I was thinking that the other day. Do we really want Quentin to be our everyday RF going forward? He's a bumbling fool out there.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 10:19 PM)
on the plus side...maybe this is the last time we'll ever see contreras pitch

Seems pretty clear that he's good for 3 innings. Given that, maybe we should think seriously about making him the long-man, particularly after September 1. If memory serves, he was actually pretty good out of the pen after he imploded in 2007.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 03:21 AM)
I'm pretty fking stoked that we still have Contreras in our rotation. Nice job giving a dead team hope in this game, asshat.

At least we can once again confidently say his extension was the worst contract of KW's regime.

That was inexcusable. How do you not make a routine catch on a fly ball? Rios screwed that up, that was Carlos' ball. I know the CF is in command of the OF, but Carlos had a easier chance of making that play.

And Nix, what the hell? How do you screw up a routine grounder like that?

This team's defense is why it won't be anything but mediocre.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
If he fields that cleanly, it's an out. It's a play that has got to be made, as Contreras was at the bag in time.

Yeah, but it's not easy to field that cleanly. That was far from a routine play. I could see if it was just a few feet to his right or left and it bounced off his glove but he was probably 35, 40 feet to his left and almost in right, and still moving when he got there.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 03:23 AM)
That was inexcusable. How do you not make a routine catch on a fly ball? Rios screwed that up, that was Carlos' ball. I know the CF is in command of the OF, but Carlos had a easier chance of making that play.

Rios was right under it...

QUOTE (bobryansson @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 10:22 PM)
Q started this not yielding to Rios, then bobbled the ball. Plenty of hilarity for all, but the beginning & end belong to TCQ.

I say this knowing full well that Quentin is not 100% out there, so I'm really basing it on last year: I think our coaches cannot coach, or simply do not emphasize, defense. It's part of the swing-from-your-ass culture or something. Because Carlos Quentin had a reputation as a plus defender in right field, but he comes here, and he's been average or below since he got here, in left.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 11:21 PM)
At least we can once again confidently say his extension was the worst contract of KW's regime.

In his defense there was no reason to think he'd be this bad at the time of that extension.