White Sox Should Make a Run at Billy Wagner

Chisoxfn

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wagner probably hit waivers well before the story got out, so maybe be clears today or tomorrow. If he does, which I image he will, then it's time to start the bidding. We're going to have to give up something of value to get him, but probably not much and certainly nothing all that significant. I have to imagine Kenny will throw his hat in the ring ASAP if he gets through.

I'd like to know how it was that Micah Owings cleared waivers in the Dunn deal last year when he was with the DBacks, because he was a guy on the 40-man roster. Maybe he was DLed? Whatever that loophole is, maybe we could exploit it with Fields.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
He'll clear. He's owed $2.7 million the rest of this year and a $1 million buyout. I don't think many teams want to pony up almost $4 million for a closer for 45 games. Especially one that has not pitched in the big leagues for a year.

I agree and would be surprised to see him claimed.

Edit: And for those who say "it's only money, no big deal," well, we could have signed at least 3 of our big 4 unsigned prospects with that much money. And had we signed 3 of those guys, no one would have said "trade all three of those guys for Wagner!" So I really doubt anyone is taking on that kind of salary. If the guy had a reasonable option for 2010 then he might get claimed, but he doesn't, so he probably won't.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Combine that with one of the best rotations in baseball (Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, and Jose/Freddy) and an offense that now has a pretty good combination of speed and power and Sox fans shouldn't just expect a post-season run, they should expect a World Series Championship.

yeah right.

Billy Wagner-R-Mets Aug. 21 - 5:36 pm et

According to the Boston Globe, the Red Sox may have been the club that claimed Mets reliever Billy Wagner on Friday afternoon.

The Globe heard from a major league source that the Red Sox "covet" B-Wags, and WFTL 640 out of Florida is reporting it was Boston that put the claim in. If the reports are true, a deal should get done quickly. The hard-throwing left-hander is owed about $2.5 million the rest of the way.

Source: Boston Globe

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
Wagner claimed off waivers....per Rosenthal

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9966794...med-off-waivers

I'm shocked. I'll be even more shocked if the Mets keep him. I just hope if Wagner has anything to offer that it wasn't Detroit who claimed him. Illich seems like he doesn't care about losing money at this point. If it is Boston, I suppose it makes sense. They are getting desperate and I believe Gammons said they were holding back payroll to acquire guys during the season when teams would be giving them away.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
I'm shocked. I'll be even more shocked if the Mets keep him. I just hope if Wagner has anything to offer that it wasn't Detroit who claimed him. Illich seems like he doesn't care about losing money at this point. If it is Boston, I suppose it makes sense. They are getting desperate and I believe Gammons said they were holding back payroll to acquire guys during the season when teams would be giving them away.

I dont think the Sox would let him get to Detroit. Red or White

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)

I'm more shocked that he (reportedly) wasn't claimed by an NL team. Lots of contenders are willing to over-pay a little for an edge at this point.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 05:40 PM)
I'm more shocked that he (reportedly) wasn't claimed by an NL team. Lots of contenders are willing to over-pay a little for an edge at this point.

Not really. He made it though 26 of 29 eligible teams without getting claimed. The #27 team claimed him and there's no indication the Yankees or Angels would have claimed him had the Red Sox not done so. The Red Sox are probably panicking with Texas right on their asses in the wild card race and TB not far behind. The Yankees look like they won't be caught this year.

The Red Sox would be dumb to offer anything because Wagner is already theirs. Seems like the Mets waited for Wagner's rehab assignment to finish in hopes someone would make a claim and the Mets would get salary savings instead of a prospect.

Well, for the Red Sox, I'm kind of puzzled. One of their strengths I thought was actually their bullpen, but their starting pitching was falling apart. Hmm, would it be possible for Boston to pick him up, put him right back on waives, our Sox claim him, and we work out a trade for Freddy or Jose(I don't think they'll take Bart back) for Wagner?

Nevermind, I realized it's a pipedream and we should've just claimed him outright.