The Finer Things In Life

knightni

Beachbum Berry's Remixed has finally shipped, and I have a copy in hand. Literally hundreds of unearthed lost and classic tiki and tropical drinks, 10 years worth of initial research to compile the original volumes and an additional 10 years to dig deeper and decipher still more of the vintage recipes. Toss in more than 100 brand new recipes, and this book is the best cocktail bargain you'll ever find.

Lots of recipes from the original Grog Log and Intoxica volumes have been tweaked as new information has come to light, or as new quality ingredients have hit the shelves to better replicate some of the lost ingredients from the original age of Tiki.

It' ok that nobody else is excited about this. I'm stoked enough for everybody. Break out the citrus reamer and let's start mixing!

:drink

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My go to ginger beer is Barritt's Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer, which is also contract produced in the states and is the traditional ginger beer used in a Dark 'N Stormy. Recently though, the shops that normally can get Barritt's for me have been getting the new Gosling's ginger beer instead. It's not quite as good imo, but it still makes a nice Dark 'N Stormy.

In a pinch, I can use the economy Jamaican DG ginger beer, which is a universally available brand and is the one I grew up on. The DG "Old Jamaican" product is nice and spicy and great with a beef patty and coco bread, but makes for unbalanced cocktails that are a bit too hot I think.

What I've tried of the Reed's line of ginger beers, but I can't get them with any regularity. Lots of others out there I haven't had a chance to try yet.

All this talk about ginger beer is getting me off my duff to make a Rum Mule with some Gosling's ginger beer and new favorite Scarlet Ibis Trinidad rum. Legally, of course, you can't call the drink a Dark 'N Stormy if you're not using Gosling's Black Seal rum, so this one is a rum mule or maybe a Trinidad Mule.

Results in a moent. . .

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
My go to ginger beer is Barritt's Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer, which is also contract produced in the states and is the traditional ginger beer used in a Dark 'N Stormy. Recently though, the shops that normally can get Barritt's for me have been getting the new Gosling's ginger beer instead. It's not quite as good imo, but it still makes a nice Dark 'N Stormy.

In a pinch, I can use the economy Jamaican DG ginger beer, which is a universally available brand and is the one I grew up on. The DG "Old Jamaican" product is nice and spicy and great with a beef patty and coco bread, but makes for unbalanced cocktails that are a bit too hot I think.

What I've tried of the Reed's line of ginger beers, but I can't get them with any regularity. Lots of others out there I haven't had a chance to try yet.

All this talk about ginger beer is getting me off my duff to make a Rum Mule with some Gosling's ginger beer and new favorite Scarlet Ibis Trinidad rum. Legally, of course, you can't call the drink a Dark 'N Stormy if you're not using Gosling's Black Seal rum, so this one is a rum mule or maybe a Trinidad Mule.

Results in a moent. . .

Thanks for your help, Sir. I will see which of those I can get my hands on...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 11:39 PM)
Thanks for your help, Sir. I will see which of those I can get my hands on...

The original DG should be no problem. While looking for that, make sure to also pick up the best DG product out there — Ting grapefruit soda. The pink Ting is fine on its own, but for cocktail mixers, the original Ting is it. Sub for club soda and 7-up to make much zippier mixed drinks, or do the authentic Jamaican thing and make a drink I've praised here before — J Wray and Nephew Overproof and Ting (The Jamaican equivalent of the Dark 'N Stormy). JWN Overproof is a wonderfully funky and initially scary rum that accounts for 90% of the domestic rum sales in Jamaica. And with the abundance of very fine rums that country has to offer, that's saying something.

As for my Trinidad Mule. . . I went 3:1 ginger beer to rum with a lime slice squeeze. Fairly tasty but the rum flavors particular to the Scarlet Ibis don't all come through, so I'll back the ginger beer off a bit next time 'round.

Enjoyed a nice Dark Lord Imperial Stout a couple weekends ago, as well as a Samiclaus, at a co-workers house. We brewed beer all day and drank a bunch of his homemade stuff, but I enjoyed those two in particular.

2008-06DarkLord002.jpg

Edited by dasox24

That beer is worth drinking for the label alone! And the wax seal is a nice touch as well.

Love me some Three Floyds, so I bet that Dark Lord is outstanding.

Now the Sami. . . one of the best ever, so hard to go wrong. Unless you try to drink more than one in a single session, that is.

So what did y'all brew?

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm back in the game tonight after I found a new revenue stream, i.e. a job (at least for now). Anyway, I went in to get Saison Dupont, but I stumbled on Goose Island Night Stalker. Goose Island is making headway into upstate NY recently but I was very surprised to find this, and I'm a sucker for little pieces of home. At $9 a bomber, it was priced fairly. I've already reviewed Saison Dupont, but I haven't seen Night Stalker discussed here.

Let me say, it's phenomenal. It is based on Bourbon County Stout, but dry hopped instead of barrel aged. The simcoe hops are noticeable and are the only hop I really care for. I find them less abrasive. They cut through the thick chocolatey malt that pervades this beer. This is a new twist on an impy. I had grown tired of the style, but this is something really nice. The bottle claims that it can be aged 5 years (although I've read that Goose Islands don't make it that long), but good luck saving it.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 17, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
Well I'm back in the game tonight after I found a new revenue stream, i.e. a job (at least for now). Anyway, I went in to get Saison Dupont, but I stumbled on Goose Island Night Stalker. Goose Island is making headway into upstate NY recently but I was very surprised to find this, and I'm a sucker for little pieces of home. At $9 a bomber, it was priced fairly. I've already reviewed Saison Dupont, but I haven't seen Night Stalker discussed here.

Let me say, it's phenomenal. It is based on Bourbon County Stout, but dry hopped instead of barrel aged. The simcoe hops are noticeable and are the only hop I really care for. I find them less abrasive. They cut through the thick chocolatey malt that pervades this beer. This is a new twist on an impy. I had grown tired of the style, but this is something really nice. The bottle claims that it can be aged 5 years (although I've read that Goose Islands don't make it that long), but good luck saving it.

That sounds great! And simcoes are currently my favorite late addition hop right now as well.

Went to a beer festival last night marking the first anniversary of our awesome local new beer bar. Had some very nice beers but the real standout for me was Cigar City's Humidor Series Gruit. Amazing herb mix to complement the hops, the first nose and sip were literally like taking in the essence of a cedar humidor, and then the flavor quickly spreads into all sorts of wonderful botanicals to balance out a medium malt body. Great beer.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
That sounds great! And simcoes are currently my favorite late addition hop right now as well.

Went to a beer festival last night marking the first anniversary of our awesome local new beer bar. Had some very nice beers but the real standout for me was Cigar City's Humidor Series Gruit. Amazing herb mix to complement the hops, the first nose and sip were literally like taking in the essence of a cedar humidor, and then the flavor quickly spreads into all sorts of wonderful botanicals to balance out a medium malt body. Great beer.

I didn't know anyone actually sold gruits. It looks like a rare treat.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 07:08 AM)
I didn't know anyone actually sold gruits. It looks like a rare treat.

There should be a bottled version of it as well since it's part of their Humidor Series. Don't you have a brother in the Tampa area you can hit up?

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 07:04 AM)
Placing an order . . .

Good man. When it arrives I'll give you a heads-up on some recipe tweaks in the new version that I think Jeff messed up ingredient ratios on, but it is nevertheless a stellar compendium of recipes. I went straight to the back of the book to try all of the new recipes that Jeff compiled from the best of what the modern cocktail has to offer. last night, I spun up a Cuzco Fizz with muddled green grapes, Chilean Pisco Capel, lime juice, and St. Germaine elderflower liqueur that was very tasty and refreshing.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 07:28 AM)
Good man. When it arrives I'll give you a heads-up on some recipe tweaks in the new version that I think Jeff messed up ingredient ratios on, but it is nevertheless a stellar compendium of recipes. I went straight to the back of the book to try all of the new recipes that Jeff compiled from the best of what the modern cocktail has to offer. last night, I spun up a Cuzco Fizz with muddled green grapes, Chilean Pisco Capel, lime juice, and St. Germaine elderflower liqueur that was very tasty and refreshing.

Tonight will be the recipe you sent a couple days ago. I need to make a liquor store stop on the way home.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 19, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
Your ladyfriend will think you are a cocktail rockstar after she tastes your Tahitian Sunset.

I couldn't find the El Dorado at two liquor stores near me.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)
I couldn't find the El Dorado at two liquor stores near me.

Then they suck. :D

Sub equal parts Pussers and Appleton V/X. Or, give Kraken Spiced Rum a try. I have yet to try Kraken but I'm dying to. Lots of rum folks who eschew commercial brand spiced rums on principle have raved about the Kraken.

Just keep your eyes peeled for the El Dorado 5 year, or for Lemon Hart 80 if you get it by you (I don't). Even if the stores you stopped in at don't stock it I bet someone near you does. I literally have to go to about a half-dozen stores to find the whole range of what makes it into the area.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
Then they suck. :D

Sub equal parts Pussers and Appleton V/X. Or, give Kraken Spiced Rum a try. I have yet to try Kraken but I'm dying to. Lots of rum folks who eschew commercial brand spiced rums on principle have raved about the Kraken.

Just keep your eyes peeled for the El Dorado 5 year, or for Lemon Hart 80 if you get it by you (I don't). Even if the stores you stopped in at don't stock it I bet someone near you does. I literally have to go to about a half-dozen stores to find the whole range of what makes it into the area.

Just called four more, there isn't any El Dorado available near me.

I recall seeing the Kraken Spiced Rum. I should put together a master list and just hit the stores and mix to what is available. I also just realized they may be more available in Mexico. Maybe I will take a run across the border. Are there any Cuban rums of note? Ones that would be unavialable in the US.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Are there any good beers available in cans? I'm sick of drinking Keystone Light at our softball games. I guess it would have to be not very heavy

Yes. One brewery that comes immediately to mind is Oskar Blues. They have a pils or a pale I think. That will be light enough.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
Just called four more, there isn't any El Dorado available near me.

I recall seeing the Kraken Spiced Rum. I should put together a master list and just hit the stores and mix to what is available. I also just realized they may be more available in Mexico. Maybe I will take a run across the border. Are there any Cuban rums of note? Ones that would be unavialable in the US.

Gawd Yes! Authentic Havana Club 3yr and 7yr are raved about as being world class rums,a nd the Havana Club white is pretty much the signature daiquiri rum. I have never had the pleasure of trying any of them, but if you can get them by all means do so.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 02:45 PM)
Yes. One brewery that comes immediately to mind is Oskar Blues. They have a pils or a pale I think. That will be light enough.

Seconding Oskar as a great canned beer choice. They decided to go cans specifically to satisfy a demand for craft beer among campers and outdoorsey types. Dale's Pale and Old Chub (a Scottish style ale) are my favorites, but the Yella Pils is not bad either. Haven't had their Gordon's double IPA yet.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (3E8 @ Apr 20, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
Are there any good beers available in cans? I'm sick of drinking Keystone Light at our softball games. I guess it would have to be not very heavy

Fat Tire is available in cans now. It's as good as the bottle version.