The Finer Things In Life

knightni

I'm going to put the commonly held belief that "everything is better with bacon" to he test. I'm cooking up some nice fatty smoked bacon to infuse into Kentucky bourbon. We'll see in about two days how it turns out, and what sort of tasty drinks can be made with bacon-infused bourbon.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)
I'm going to put the commonly held belief that "everything is better with bacon" to he test. I'm cooking up some nice fatty smoked bacon to infuse into Kentucky bourbon. We'll see in about two days how it turns out, and what sort of tasty drinks can be made with bacon-infused bourbon.

It'd be a good bourbon to drink with breakfast?

I picked up a 6-pack of the latest Sam Adams Long Shot beers. All three are good, but the Mile High Barley Wine stands out. Very smooth and sweet with a slight alcohol warming. The 9.8% ABV is not really evident, and that makes it a dangerous brew.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 09:02 AM)
It'd be a good bourbon to drink with breakfast?

Is there a bad bourbon to drink with breakfast?

:unsure:

Old Fashioneds made with bacon bourbon are popular in cocktilian circles these days, so that's what I'm most anxious to spin up. Depending on how the smokiness plays with red vermouth it might work in a Manhattan as well.

One the absolute best bourbon cocktails is called a Maple Leaf and it has lemon juice a good dose of pure maple syrup in it that really works well with good bourbon. A smokey bite may or may not work well in this one, but we'll find out soon enough.

Here's the

that looks particularly appealing. Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)
I picked up a 6-pack of the latest Sam Adams Long Shot beers. All three are good, but the Mile High Barley Wine stands out. Very smooth and sweet with a slight alcohol warming. The 9.8% ABV is not really evident, and that makes it a dangerous brew.

Very cool to see Sam doing the Long Shot thing again. They first did it like 17 years ago, and did it for a couple of seasons and gave it up.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)
Eww, totally over the top on the bacon in the bourbon. Going to have to cut that back by at least 2/3 to make any sort of balanced drink with it. Tried out the PTD Old Fashioned and it has a lot of promise but the bacon has to be tamed quite a bit.

That sounds gross. In college is believed that everything was better with bacon, but in the last couple years I don't care for adding bacon to much of anything. Most recently it was a chicken liver dish. Chicken liver and bacon is a very common preparation, but the bacon was just too much.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 07:24 AM)
That sounds gross. In college is believed that everything was better with bacon, but in the last couple years I don't care for adding bacon to much of anything. Most recently it was a chicken liver dish. Chicken liver and bacon is a very common preparation, but the bacon was just too much.

I think it's a matter of getting the ratios right, and hitting the smlokey notes but not getting too much . . . bacon burn I guess.

The PDT infusion recipe called for a scant 1 oz of bacon grease infused for a short time in a full fifth of bourbon and then removed through freezing and filtering. That is teh recipe I wish I had tried. Instead I went with a recipe from a pretty respected cocktilian that specifies about 3x that amount. Total overkill for sure.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 31, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
That beer is worth drinking for the label alone! And the wax seal is a nice touch as well.

Love me some Three Floyds, so I bet that Dark Lord is outstanding.

Now the Sami. . . one of the best ever, so hard to go wrong. Unless you try to drink more than one in a single session, that is.

So what did y'all brew?

Not sure how I just saw this post. Sorry for not answering... But, I have no idea what we brewed. Two different beers - one incredibly dark. Added chocolate chips, espresso, and who knows what else to that one. The other one I don't really remember what it was. But, the darker one I'll get to try soon I believe. After letting it age in oak for two months, the guy I brewed with was actually bottling the stuff tonight. He said he'd bring me one to try.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 11:12 PM)
Not sure how I just saw this post. Sorry for not answering... But, I have no idea what we brewed. Two different beers - one incredibly dark. Added chocolate chips, espresso, and who knows what else to that one. The other one I don't really remember what it was. But, the darker one I'll get to try soon I believe. After letting it age in oak for two months, the guy I brewed with was actually bottling the stuff tonight. He said he'd bring me one to try.

If it has been in the wood for a couple of months it will be sleepy. Either you're going to wait a few more weeks for bottle conditioning or your buddy is going to force carbonate at bottling — which I doubt he'll do if he's taken all that time with extended fermentation in oak. Should be quite nice when it's finaly ready to go.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 12:27 AM)
If it has been in the wood for a couple of months it will be sleepy. Either you're going to wait a few more weeks for bottle conditioning or your buddy is going to force carbonate at bottling — which I doubt he'll do if he's taken all that time with extended fermentation in oak. Should be quite nice when it's finaly ready to go.

I was wrong - it was only in the oak for 3 weeks... My co-worker tried it the other day and said it's awesome.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
I have a friend that made habanero-infused tequila...and he makes Mephistoritas...if he wasn't in Boston, I'd love to try one.

That could be interesting. I think a smoked or roasted habernero tequila could be an interesting mezcal substutution.

I have to pick up a new bottle of bourbon today for derby day mint juleps, so I'll finally be able to dilute my bacon monstrosity to see if it can be salvaged.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ May 1, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
Had a very enjoyable beer night last night: Ommegang Ale, Bells Oberon, and Victory Hop Devil... I'm getting thirsty again just typing it...

Yummy X3! :drink

I had a Cigar City Maduro Brown Ale yesterday that was quite tasty. Also a Cantillon frambois and a Stone 13th Anniversary that I've had before but which were both very good.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

Going to Revolution Brew tonight to try my complimentary beer. Yes, I'm part of their nerdy beer club.

Let's Have a War is a hoppy Belgian strong pale ale that features Citra, a new American hop variety getting props for its zesty aroma that we are testing out. If you liked our Coup D'Etat saison, then you will like this one.

Citra is a very good new hop variety — it's the hop that forms the backbone of Sierra's new Torpedo Extra IPA. Interesting, for being such a big hit in hoppy ales, it's actually a hybrid that is 50% Hallertauer Mittelfrüh — the classic Czech noble pilsner hop. It also has Kent goldings (respected Brit hop) and Tettnanger (the Sam Adams hop) in its pedigree.

• 3 weeks later...

About a week ago, it was announced that a local microbrewer would be serving a gose. So today I grabbed a growler of it (I have come to love my growler) and I am sipping it now. I know nothing about the style, but I know there aren't many around.

This is not as tart as I expected, but the mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Similar to a white ale with a bit extra lemon zest. A light spice note is present along with a light tartness. Pretty good beer.

Oh and the story of how this beer came about is chronicled on the brewer's blog.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ May 22, 2010 -> 07:51 PM)
About a week ago, it was announced that a local microbrewer would be serving a gose. So today I grabbed a growler of it (I have come to love my growler) and I am sipping it now. I know nothing about the style, but I know there aren't many around.

This is not as tart as I expected, but the mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Similar to a white ale with a bit extra lemon zest. A light spice note is present along with a light tartness. Pretty good beer.

Oh and the story of how this beer came about is chronicled on the brewer's blog.

very cool. And I have had that same stuck mash experience ona smaller scale when brewing all grain witbiers. Not fun.

The style has always sounded intriguing (never had it). In character it is equal parts Belgian wit and Belgian gueuze lambic., but German in origin. Wild.

I'm in Los Angeles now and have a growler of IPA in my hotel fridge from a passable brewpub here at the hotel. Sounds like your beer is better though.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 23, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
very cool. And I have had that same stuck mash experience ona smaller scale when brewing all grain witbiers. Not fun.

The style has always sounded intriguing (never had it). In character it is equal parts Belgian wit and Belgian gueuze lambic., but German in origin. Wild.

I'm in Los Angeles now and have a growler of IPA in my hotel fridge from a passable brewpub here at the hotel. Sounds like your beer is better though.

It's an interesting beer and I'm sure it would be better if he had more time to let the sourness develop. Of course, at $9 a growler for I can't complain too much. At worst, it's a very good wit.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 11:12 PM)
Went to this thing called hoptacular today, it was a craft brew tasting for beers in Chicago. Had some pretty interesting beers.

This one by left handed brewery called Milk Stout was pretty good.

Yeah milk stouts are awesome. And Left Hand is the best I've tried.

We were back in Chicago for an engagement party last weekend. My father-in-law to be is getting into beers so we grabbed a bunch and I introduced them to some new stuff. Nothing new for the thread except for the Ommegang Triple Perfection which was phenomenal. Double Simcoe, Ommegedon, Hennepin, a bad raspberry lambic, Night Stalker and some god awful Wisconsin beers were featured. The WI beers made me yak.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 12:14 AM)
I haven't read any of the posts, but I would just like to say:

I am a man that enjoys amaretto sours.

Just had to get that off my chest.

I don't think that's much of a guilty pleasure, they can be quite tasty. I've started to really dislike commercial sour mix and it's artificial taste though, so I'd rather do them with fresh homemade sour mix. I also just made up a batch of homemade orgeat (almond syrup) and I think a teaspoon or so of that in an amaretto sour will really kick it up a notch.

Today is International Cachaça Day, however, so Caipirinhas will be the order of the day.