The Finer Things In Life

knightni

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)
I know the Beer Bistro on Madison carried Spaten Oktoberfest last year, and am waiting to hear back if they have it this year....does anyone else know any other bars in Chicago that will or already are carrying this? Preferably on tap! I had it last year when I was on a work trip in Atlanta and fell in love...Thanks!

That is an easy beer to come by in any decent beer store. If you really want it out somewhere, find an Octoberfest or harvest festival. Always good times.

Allagash interlude is one of the best beers I have tasted. Sour and fruity with a hint of cherry. Brewed with brett and it shows. Manages to be a Belgian strong ale and a kriekish thing all at once. It's a bit of an experience.

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 7, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
Allagash interlude is one of the best beers I have tasted. Sour and fruity with a hint of cherry. Brewed with brett and it shows. Manages to be a Belgian strong ale and a kriekish thing all at once. It's a bit of an experience.

That sounds really good. I'm an Allagash fan from way back, so I definitely agree they can pull off the Belgian styles as well as any American brewer.

Dabbling with Tequila cocktails of late. Picked up a good Tequila book in the Mexico pavilion at EPCOT and there are a lot of very good recipes collected from some of the best cocktail bars and bartenders across the country.

This straightforward fresh margarita from bartender Julie Bermejo is better than 90% of the the margaritas I've ever had out at bars and restaurants. No triple sec or Cointreau, and certainly no manufactured premix in the ingredients, this one instead uses agave nectar for the sweetener.

• 1.5 oz 100% agaev tequila

• 3/4 oz agave nectar

• 3/ oz water

• 1 oz fresh squeezed lime juice

• slice of lime garnish

I have been using agave nectar in a lot of margarita recipes for the last year, but when it's thrown in on top of the triple sec it can make the drink a little cloying and oversweet. Leaving out the triple sec in this version, the balance between sweet and tart is very good. Using either Cazadores or El Jimador reposado and at 1.5 oz their relatively light flavors get a little lost. Upping the tequila to 2 oz would help it punch through, but that's probably only advisable if you're not planning on knocking back 4 or 5 of 'em. Pretty tasty and so simple. Why does anybody bother with the commercial chemical Koolaid margarita mixes?

Spun one of these up this evening and added a small (2 tsp) float of mezcal for an altogether more robust but still very drinkable margarita.

The next recipe from the book I think I'll try is a Oaxaca Old-Fashioned, with reposado tequila and mezcal subbing for the bourbon called for in the original classic cocktail and agave nectar standing in for the sugar/simple syrup. The couple generous dashes of Ango bitters is held over from the original.

I also had a mezcal sour last night with mezcal, brandy, lime juice, simple syrup, Paychaud and Ango bitters, and an egg white to give a marvelous froth and velvety texture to the drink. Sadly, Monte Alban is the only mezcal I can actually afford until the new Del Maguay Vida product makes it down here (lucky Chicagoans already have it). Even so, this cocktail was definitely a keeper.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

• 2 weeks later...

Petite Island Grog (In honor of "Talk Like a Pirate Day")

- 1 oz pot still Jamaican rum (Smith and Cross or Appleton Extra)

- 1 oz Martinique rhum agricole (Rhum St. James Royal Ambre or Rhum Clement VSOP)

- 1/2 oz lime juice

- 1/4-1/2 oz simple syrup

- 1/4 oz blackberry brandy, guava liqueur, or mango liqueur

- 1/2 tsp real pomegranate grenadine

- grated nutmeg

- dash Angostura bitters

Shake with ice. Pour unstrained into grog cup of choice. Don eyepatch and shoulder parrot and drink.

This fairly low-octane grog is a seriously good drink sez I. Aarrgh!

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

Plymouth and Noilly Prat Martini, Brother Cleve 9th Ward Cocktail, Pre-Prohibition Martinez, and a Clover Club Cocktail with egg white and Peychaud's Bitters. Take that, Monday!

:drink

The 9th Ward is truly a cocktail epiphany. I've gushed over it here before, but if one of you finds yourself in possession of St. Germaine, Bulleit Bourbon, and a bottle of falernum, you need to give this drink a try.

Ok, so I am finally going to jump into cocktails. I plan to start with the mai tai and I have the recipe Jim posted like a year ago.

The rums are Appleton 12 year old and Clement VSOP. What are the changes I can find these? Are they widely available?

And I will go with orange curacao because I don't want to spend that much to start off.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 07:17 PM)
Maybe someone here can help me with this. There is a certain flavor in some beers, usually questionable micros, that immediately gives me a headache and makes me nauseous. And then there is a restaurant here that makes me sick whenever I get a beer on tap. I get sick immediately from only a few sips.

I figure the restaurant doesn't clean their lines, but I know immediately that the beer is bad because of a certain flavor that I gues is like cardboardy or licorice. I know that flavors indicate different things but when I taste I know I have to stop. Anyone know what might cause such a fast reaction and fit that flavor profile?

Dirty lines at a bar can make you pretty sick, almost immediate hangover-type symptoms.

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)
Ok, so I am finally going to jump into cocktails. I plan to start with the mai tai and I have the recipe Jim posted like a year ago.

The rums are Appleton 12 year old and Clement VSOP. What are the changes I can find these? Are they widely available?

And I will go with orange curacao because I don't want to spend that much to start off.

Yay Mai Tais! You won't regret it!

Appleton 12 ("Extra") is widely available. It will set you back around $30, so there is certainly no shame in downgrading ever so slightly to the Appleton Reserve or the V/X for your first stab at a mai tai.

The Rhum Clement VSOP is less widely available, but that and Rhum St. James Royal Ambre are probably the two most commonly encountered amber Martinique rhums in the US. Either one works wonderfully well in a mai tai.

There are plenty of acceptable substitutes, but using two rums with somewhat different flavor profiles does wonders for the drink. And feel free to sub something (El Dorado 5 year or Pussers) for the Martinique rhum if you can't locate it or if rhum agricoles still taste a little rough to you (they are very earthy, sort of like cachacha, but it's a distinctive flavor that shines through in several tiki classics). By all means though, keep a good Jamaican rum in the mix that has at least some pot still in the blend (like the three Appleton's above). The pot still esters in aged Jamaican rum are the defining feature of that style of rum and are essential for a mai tai true to Trader Vic's original cocktail.

I can't wait to hear your report!

Mahalo!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 07:36 PM)
So Oberon is gone again, f***!!!!!!!!! Guess I am back to the Amber for the time being.

Also, Flaxx, have you ever gone to Violet Hour in Chicago yet? It seems to be right up your alley with the old school cocktails with handmade bitters.

Sadly I have not been yet, but I've jealously admired it from afar. Their cocktail menu looks pretty awesome and they do take their drinks seriously. It's on my must do list the next time I'm in.

I made a pilgrimage to another one of the cocktail revival destinations back in May, a speakeasy typ place called The Varnish that specializes in pre-prohibition cocktails. Great place. Check it out here.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 01:22 AM)
I just learned that there's a drink called an "Adios Motherf***er."

http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/3217/

Indeed. I think it was invented by bartenders as the "one on the house" to make short work off a$$hole patrons. Usually something like an ounce each of vodka, gin, rum, and tequila with curacao, sour mix and soda or sprite tossed in to hide the horridness.

I can safely say I've never mixed that one up.

Alright so I made my first mai tai. Although things did not go as planned.

First, the Clemente rum I planned on getting is not sold around here from what I can tell. The Appleton is around, but I, unfortunately, found it after I already bought V/X from a store that jacked up the price $5. It's all good because I made up the price on wine for my wife. Anyway, the real problem is that orgeat is not sold anywhere I could find (and they had never heard of it). Luckily it is available online, but for tonight, I did without.

So the recipe had Appleton V/X, Pussers, orange curacao, syrup and lime. I tried each rum separate (knowing that I struggle to sip liquor) to taste the distinction. It was clear that the Appleton was sweeter but let's just say that I didn't note a bunch of flavors before the heat got me.

I also made way too much syrup. I made 2 cups not realizing that it doesn't last very long. Whatever, it's cheap and easy.

So I mixed it up and I realized that I was dealing with a new animal. There is way more going on than a pre-mix mai tai. And it is also clear why good rum is required. You can taste the rum (god forbid!). Each flavor is present and distinct, but the feel is dominated by the syrup which sort of keeps it familiar. I wish I had the orgeat because I know it would be a great addition.

I did notice that there is Trader Vic Macadamian Nut liquer. Does that have a place in this or is that too much liquor?

Anyway, I want to make another one but I doubt I'd get up in the morning. I will probably mix it up again tomorrow and see if I can detail some flavor profiles. I am also excited to try it with higher end, smoother rums. But I'll have to work my way through what I have first.

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)
Alright so I made my first mai tai. Although things did not go as planned.

First, the Clemente rum I planned on getting is not sold around here from what I can tell. The Appleton is around, but I, unfortunately, found it after I already bought V/X from a store that jacked up the price $5. It's all good because I made up the price on wine for my wife. Anyway, the real problem is that orgeat is not sold anywhere I could find (and they had never heard of it). Luckily it is available online, but for tonight, I did without.

So the recipe had Appleton V/X, Pussers, orange curacao, syrup and lime. I tried each rum separate (knowing that I struggle to sip liquor) to taste the distinction. It was clear that the Appleton was sweeter but let's just say that I didn't note a bunch of flavors before the heat got me.

I also made way too much syrup. I made 2 cups not realizing that it doesn't last very long. Whatever, it's cheap and easy.

So I mixed it up and I realized that I was dealing with a new animal. There is way more going on than a pre-mix mai tai. And it is also clear why good rum is required. You can taste the rum (god forbid!). Each flavor is present and distinct, but the feel is dominated by the syrup which sort of keeps it familiar. I wish I had the orgeat because I know it would be a great addition.

I did notice that there is Trader Vic Macadamian Nut liquer. Does that have a place in this or is that too much liquor?

Anyway, I want to make another one but I doubt I'd get up in the morning. I will probably mix it up again tomorrow and see if I can detail some flavor profiles. I am also excited to try it with higher end, smoother rums. But I'll have to work my way through what I have first.

First let me say, you are on your way, young Grasshopper. :)

You are right, you totally need orgeat to pull off a proper mai tai. Also, know that even when you source a commercial orgeat you eventually will outgrow that and start making your own.

Screw the loquor stores, if you want to find standard orgeat go to your local coffee shop or coffe supply store. Torani orgeat is a perfectly fine entry level orgeat that is readily available if you look in the right place. If you strike out, you can go the cheater bartender route and substitute amaretto for the orgeat. It's an imperfect substitute, but it's the shortest route to getting the almond flavor you're looking for. Keep it at 1/4-1/2 oz so it doesn't overpower the drink, and err on the lower end of that range to start with.

The Appleton V/X and Pussers 84-proof Navy are perfectly fine rums, honest. Sipping them neat is a great way to ferret out their individual flavors, and the Pussers really does have a lot going on in there.

You are correct though, you really can taste the rum so you can't scrimp there.

As long as you have the Pussers on hand, you should stock up on what you need to do up Pussers Painkillers — they are a great lower-octane rum drink to keep in the rotation. On the sweet side, but nothing's better if you are in a tropical mood.

• 4 oz unsweetened pineapple juice

• 2 oz Pussers

• 2 oz Coco Lopez Coconut Cream

• 1 oz orange juice

• dusting of fresh grated nutmeg

I figured the orgeat was required but I figured it would be more fun to try it without and get a sense for what it adds. What fun is experimenting if everything is perfect the first time? In any event, what I made was pretty good, though it probably needs some tweaking. I tried it without the lime because I forgot to add it and it was so strong I didn't think I could handle it. Added the lime and the drink came together. So I can't wait to complete it.

Meanwhile I ordered orgeat for convenience though the shipping is expensive. I have a lot to learn about seeking out ingredients.

Also, it seems probable that the types of rum should have a lot to do with the type of drink you van create. Are there any basic rules for what ingredients will go with Jamaican vs Martanique rums?

Oh and the giant liquor store tried to sell me amaretto but I didn't trust them.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
Also, it seems probable that the types of rum should have a lot to do with the type of drink you van create. Are there any basic rules for what ingredients will go with Jamaican vs Martanique rums?

As a "rule" (meant to be broken, of course), gold Jamaican rum is incredibly diverse. Use it anywhere a gold rum is called for. The Martinique rhum is a harder beast to tame, as you will see when you get your hands on some. The 'Ti Punch is the traditional way to enjoy both blanc and vieux (light and dark) Martinique rhum. It is also OUTSTANDING in the Donn Beach Donga Punch that I have gushed about here repeatedly. When fresh white grapefruit becomes available here in a couple of months I'll be making Dongas like nobody's business.

What brand of orgeat did you order? The Trader Tiki products are absolutely first rate.