The Finer Things In Life

knightni

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 12:10 AM)
An outstanding beer. :headbang

Newkie (aka, "Scottish Nose Polish") came in at #14 on my list.

Thought I might add, my buddy just brewed our 1st batch of homemade beer ever. Chose an octoberfest lager, came out really great. Very dark and flavorful.

Also, I'd definitely love to see this list!

So I have accepted my first paying bartending gig a couple of weeks from now! :headbang

It's a private party at a really cool house with a bar that was reclaimed from an old restaurant the homeowner once owned. I have been asked to design a menu of classic and unusual cocktails and give them the booze list and the Booze Fairy will magically have everything ready and waiting for me on event night. I'm pretty excited, and I'm trying to work down to a list of maybe a dozen featured cocktails in addition to more standard mixed drinks. If anyone is interested I will post my menu once I have it figured out.

I'm sort of hoping this goes really well and I can get some word of mouth in the beachside high-roller community and maybe get a few more gigs like this down the line.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)
Thought I might add, my buddy just brewed our 1st batch of homemade beer ever. Chose an octoberfest lager, came out really great. Very dark and flavorful.

Also, I'd definitely love to see this list!

knightni is finishing up the list tally, and I think Hogan and I will be pitching in with the SoxTalk countdown. I'll be away camping over the Turkey Day holiday so I'll have to jump in after that.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 12:33 AM)
So I have accepted my first paying bartending gig a couple of weeks from now! :headbang

It's a private party at a really cool house with a bar that was reclaimed from an old restaurant the homeowner once owned. I have been asked to design a menu of classic and unusual cocktails and give them the booze list and the Booze Fairy will magically have everything ready and waiting for me on event night. I'm pretty excited, and I'm trying to work down to a list of maybe a dozen featured cocktails in addition to more standard mixed drinks. If anyone is interested I will post my menu once I have it figured out.

I'm sort of hoping this goes really well and I can get some word of mouth in the beachside high-roller community and maybe get a few more gigs like this down the line.

You're like Betty White. Living out the dreams of a young man as an old woman.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
You're like Betty White. Living out the dreams of a young man as an old woman.

Interesting analogy. :-)

OK, my starting point a couple of weeks out is pulling together a list of about 30 cocktails that I would consider showcase drinks that are of historical significance or else just plain kick ass. I'll have the host of the party cut that list in half based on a visual inspection of ingredients and flavor profiles, and then I hope to do taste tests with the host and a couple of her friends over a couple of days to get the spotlight cocktail menu down to maybe 8 drinks.

Knowing that I'm now working for a different master I am trying to overcome my bias against vodka drinks because I recognize they can be crowd-pleasers. To that end, I'm playing around with an original cocktail I think I'll call the Perfect Pair. As of the two iterations I played with this evening the drink is made thusly,

• 1.5 oz pear vodka

• 1 oz Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur

• 0.5 oz lemon juice

• 2 tsp. raspberry syrup

Shake with ice, double strain and serve up in a martini glass.

I'd like to garnish this with a piece of candied ginger, but I don't have any on hand.

This is kind of a fru fru drink, but the ginger liqueur gives it a bit of heat and keeps it interesting enough that I's consider serving it to discerning drinkers. I actually think a couple of these in succession (they go down pretty easy) might make women spontaneously shed their clothes.

Just saying. Mix this one up in the right company and you can thank me later.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 22, 2010 -> 11:48 PM)
Might have a new favorite beer: Newcastle Brown Ale.

Newcastle was what really opened my eyes and piqued my curiosity to learn more about good beers. It didn't make my top 10 list, but will always be memorable to me

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 24, 2010 -> 01:53 AM)
Interesting analogy. :-)

OK, my starting point a couple of weeks out is pulling together a list of about 30 cocktails that I would consider showcase drinks that are of historical significance or else just plain kick ass. I'll have the host of the party cut that list in half based on a visual inspection of ingredients and flavor profiles, and then I hope to do taste tests with the host and a couple of her friends over a couple of days to get the spotlight cocktail menu down to maybe 8 drinks.

Knowing that I'm now working for a different master I am trying to overcome my bias against vodka drinks because I recognize they can be crowd-pleasers. To that end, I'm playing around with an original cocktail I think I'll call the Perfect Pair. As of the two iterations I played with this evening the drink is made thusly,

• 1.5 oz pear vodka

• 1 oz Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur

• 0.5 oz lemon juice

• 2 tsp. raspberry syrup

Shake with ice, double strain and serve up in a martini glass.

I'd like to garnish this with a piece of candied ginger, but I don't have any on hand.

This is kind of a fru fru drink, but the ginger liqueur gives it a bit of heat and keeps it interesting enough that I's consider serving it to discerning drinkers. I actually think a couple of these in succession (they go down pretty easy) might make women spontaneously shed their clothes.

Just saying. Mix this one up in the right company and you can thank me later.

I think you are a man I will strive to be when I grow up...:)

That being said, I'm sipping on Heineken, malibu and pineapple at the moment, so I obviously have a long way to go...:)

Out on Cape Cod I stumbled on Sam Adams Barrelroom Collection. Picked up a kriek and Belgian red. There's also a triple in the collection but it wasn't at the store. I don't have real high hopes for them but I had never heard of them so why not try it. I'll post about them later.

I discovered that the greatest liquor store ever resides in Springfield, MA. Unfortunately its 80 miles from where I live. But I was driving back from Cape Cod and stopped to grab the Sam Adams Barrelroom Tripel and found an Alesmith Wee Heavy. They even had Lost Abbey Angel's Share, but at $18 for a 350ml I wasn't about to pony up.

I noticed that they had an entire section for Cacacha which I figured meant they had a decent rum selection. I didn't spend time looking through the rums since we were already running late.

I will probably head back there after Christmas and a couple more paychecks.

QUOTE (G&T @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 08:22 AM)
I discovered that the greatest liquor store ever resides in Springfield, MA. Unfortunately its 80 miles from where I live. But I was driving back from Cape Cod and stopped to grab the Sam Adams Barrelroom Tripel and found an Alesmith Wee Heavy. They even had Lost Abbey Angel's Share, but at $18 for a 350ml I wasn't about to pony up.

I noticed that they had an entire section for Cacacha which I figured meant they had a decent rum selection. I didn't spend time looking through the rums since we were already running late.

I will probably head back there after Christmas and a couple more paychecks.

Definitely a place worth the trip once in a while.

How were the other Sam Adams Barrelroom beers? I don't know i I'll ever see those.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 08:45 AM)
Definitely a place worth the trip once in a while.

How were the other Sam Adams Barrelroom beers? I don't know i I'll ever see those.

I have only tried the Stony Brook Red which I posted about briefly. I will give reviews when I try the kriek and Tripel. I will say that the Red was far better than anything Sam Adams has produced and I have tried. It was a well executed sour (probably not great, but very tasty) and at 10% ABV it deserves a lot of credit as the alcohol is totally hidden. The best comparison is a Boon's Framboise but with double the alcohol and a bit more sourness.

Reading reviews about it, I feel it is under appreciated. I doubt there is an American made sour at that price point that even compares to the Red. And I doubt any have 10% alcohol. I have never understood what people seek in sours, but then, I have never shelled out for 3 Fonteneine (sp?).