Michael Vick Talk

knightni

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
I own dogs but there is no way that what Vick did is worse than murdering a human.

Exactly and I've been saying that as well. Vick served his time, everyone deserves a second chance and what he did isn't as bad as most football players have done in the past. Stallworth makes me sick.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 02:35 AM)
Stallworth

Ray Lewis

Rae Carruth

All killed people; each got different justice.

PacMan and Vick didn't kill a human but got the scarlet letter.

Vick's actions are miles more objectionable than Stallworth's. Stallworth was involved in a tragic *accident*, which involved some degree of recklessness on his part (alcohol) and the victim's (jaywalking across the highway). Vick was involved in running an organization to torture and kill animals for entertainment.

The holier than thou attitude people have taken with Michael Vick is at best laughable, and more realistically hypocritical. I love dogs, but there are people in the NFL (and all over sports) who have done worse things than Michael Vick, and good people (like Tony Dungy) have said he legitimately seems remorseful, and i'm a big believer in second chances (not 3rd, 4th, etc, but 2nd chances yes).

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 01:00 AM)
The holier than thou attitude people have taken with Michael Vick is at best laughable, and more realistically hypocritical. I love dogs, but there are people in the NFL (and all over sports) who have done worse things than Michael Vick, and good people (like Tony Dungy) have said he legitimately seems remorseful, and i'm a big believer in second chances (not 3rd, 4th, etc, but 2nd chances yes).

He doesn't get a clean slate with me, but really it makes no sense to keep punishing him indefinitely. I wish people got half as pissed off about random crimes that are often far worse than they do about Vick.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 12:03 AM)
He doesn't get a clean slate with me, but really it makes no sense to keep punishing him indefinitely. I wish people got half as pissed off about random crimes that are often far worse than they do about Vick.

but dogs have sad eyes

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:05 PM)
but dogs have sad eyes

Obviously you have not owned too many dogs in your life...

What Vick did is despicable.

I echo what an earlier poster who claimed what Stallworth did was not nearly as bad.

Tens of thousands of people drive intoxicated in this country every night. Our culture practically encourages it. And while I am not in any means condoning what Stallworth did, there are plenty among us who commit the same crime as he, but have been lucky enough to avoid the circumstances that have ruined his life. What he did was probably the result of a few hours of very poor judgment - the same poor judgment that so many others are giuilty of.

And yet what Vick did was far more gruesome. Something that required premeditation, an execution of a business plan, etc. I'm not going to claim he hasn't served his time; he obviously has paid an extraordinary price for his crimes. But to claim that because his victims were animals, his actions were somehow far lower on the spectrum of despicable acts than what Stallworth did, because his victim was a human being, simply does not compute to me.

I wish him well, despite the fact that I would love hang tbones from every orifice of his body and let a pack of rabid wolves tear him to pieces.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 01:59 AM)

I echo what an earlier poster who claimed what Stallworth did was not nearly as bad.

Tens of thousands of people drive intoxicated in this country every night. Our culture practically encourages it. And while I am not in any means condoning what Stallworth did, there are plenty among us who commit the same crime as he, but have been lucky enough to avoid the circumstances that have ruined his life. What he did was probably the result of a few hours of very poor judgment - the same poor judgment that so many others are giuilty of.

And yet what Vick did was far more gruesome. Something that required premeditation, an execution of a business plan, etc. I'm not going to claim he hasn't served his time; he obviously has paid an extraordinary price for his crimes. But to claim that because his victims were animals, his actions were somehow far lower on the spectrum of despicable acts than what Stallworth did, because his victim was a human being, simply does not compute to me.

I wish him well, despite the fact that I would love hang tbones from every orifice of his body and let a pack of rabid wolves tear him to pieces.

I have actually owned dogs.

Dogs don't pay the bills (in fact, they actually increase your bills, but that's besides the point). That's not to suggest that Vick's crimes weren't heinous in any manner; just that Stallworth killing a man did. I actually have defended Stallworth on here before, and while I don't condone his actions, I can understand what he was going through; a 0.12, while definitely intoxicated and buzzing, does not mean you feel drunk, especially if you are coming down rather than going up. You feel as though you sober up very quickly, when in reality you aren't sober - you are just more sober than you were 3 hours before, and that is what gives you the false sense of complete sobriety.

I also don't understand where you get that the country encourages drunk driving; I see nothing but anti-drunk driving commericals no matter where I go, and it is a felony in some states. The fact that there are taxis all over and a lot of bars have the option of taxi vouchers helps matters a ton. That doesn't make sense to me.

The only thing my comment was facetious, and I consider myself a dog lover. When it comes down to it, Vick will have ended up missing around 35 games, all his credibility, reputation, and a lot of his fans, while also losing much of his career. Stallworth misses 16 games. That's it.

The way I look at it is this, Vick owned, operated, and financed a crime operation that included dog fighting and drug dealing, as well as some guns here and there. He also lied to a grand jury(as well as Goodell and the owner of the Falcons) and was busted on that as well. What he did was completely pre-meditated, and the animal cruelty aspect was just one part of what was wrong with what he did.

Stallworth killed a man, there is no getting around that. However, it was an accident, he did not intend to kill that man when he was driving around that morning. He was completely stupid and ignorant, but he wasnt trying to kill a man.

The situations arent comparable enough to me where I can look at it as "Why did Vick get this treatment, and Stallworth get a completely different treatment?" . It just isnt there for me.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 04:12 AM)
I have actually owned dogs.

Dogs don't pay the bills (in fact, they actually increase your bills, but that's besides the point). That's not to suggest that Vick's crimes weren't heinous in any manner; just that Stallworth killing a man did. I actually have defended Stallworth on here before, and while I don't condone his actions, I can understand what he was going through; a 0.12, while definitely intoxicated and buzzing, does not mean you feel drunk, especially if you are coming down rather than going up. You feel as though you sober up very quickly, when in reality you aren't sober - you are just more sober than you were 3 hours before, and that is what gives you the false sense of complete sobriety.

I also don't understand where you get that the country encourages drunk driving; I see nothing but anti-drunk driving commericals no matter where I go, and it is a felony in some states. The fact that there are taxis all over and a lot of bars have the option of taxi vouchers helps matters a ton. That doesn't make sense to me.

The only thing my comment was facetious, and I consider myself a dog lover. When it comes down to it, Vick will have ended up missing around 35 games, all his credibility, reputation, and a lot of his fans, while also losing much of his career. Stallworth misses 16 games. That's it.

Notice I said "Our culture practically encourages it."

The state, the federal government, all sorts of organizations can disseminate as much anti-drunk driving material they want. That means nothing. The fact remains that our society encourages drinking. Our culture revolves around going out to restaurants and bars on the weekends which serve alcohol. They do this even though it is clearly understood that people have driven there and will need to drive home in order to leave. Certainly people can take cabs in major metropolitan areas and in bigger suburbs. But don't you find that an incredible amount of possible harm is still left up to chance? Left to people to make their own decisions, usually while in the act of drinking and under the influence of alcohol? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my freedoms and I am not hoping they take them away any time soon. But if you consider the amount of freedom people are allowed to abuse alcohol, as opposed to other substances which are far more closely regulated, it really makes zero sense. The reason for this is certainly because the middle class enjoys alcohol - if you ever want to guess how closely a government will regulate the use of a substance, all you have to do is determine how much the middle class enjoys consuming it - but I just find the entire issue of drunk driving full of hypocrisy.

It is not surprising at all that the sort of thing that happened to Dante Stallworth, and happens every night in every state in the country - because our culture encourages the cause of it so much - the consumption of alcohol.

Anyways, sorry for being on my soapbox on this issue.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 01:59 AM)

I could not have said it better. I look at Stallworth and realize that could have happened to me. I have driven home when I should not have. These days I stay close to home and if I consume too much, I walk. If I go somewhere I have to drive, I watch my intake.

What disgusts me about the Stallworth situation is how easily a family is paid off. Now, from their perspective, they need to survive, and money is needed for that. A breadwinner was just killed and nothing will bring him back, including making sure Stallworth goes to jail for a long time.

As for Vick, I understand him being a product of his environment. MOST people on this board would be involved in similar situations, if they grew up in a similar environment. However, I still find him dispicable. The dog fighting doesn't bother me, as much as the ruthless killing of animals. Its a trait that most serial killers show when they are younger. It helps them learn how to kill and desensitizes them to it.

What I really hate about dog-fighting is that non-pitbulls are used as bait. Some of those dogs are stolen from good homes, and then their lives are destroyed. If that dog was mine, I would want death to that person. They killed my family member. Is that really rational? I don't know, but its how I would feel.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 12:00 AM)

Um, what? I have never murdered or tortured any animal or human, nor have I done anything remotely similar or evil. How in the f*** am I then a hypocrite?

I can't stand Vick and it makes me sick that he's back in the NFL, as I love animals and I own a pit bull which happens to be the sweetest dog I have ever been around.

However, you can't give Stallworth any leniency in this deal. He wasn't just drunk, he wasn't just drunk and high, but he was drunk, high, and speeding when he killed the man crossing the street. He made a gigantic mistake and should be taking a year off from his job and be very thankful that's his biggest punishment. "Normal" people would have been fired from their job and have a very hard time finding another job with a DUI manslaughter on their record. Stallworth gets 30 days in jail, pays a fine, and will be playing football again in a year making millions again.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 14, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
Wait did Ray Lewis kill someone or just try to cover it up?

depends on who you ask. He was there, and 3 other guys took the fall. Thats pretty much all we know

I'll say it again. I'll support Vick this season. Still one of my favorite players. I have a dog as well, but I really do believe that his punishment was way too severe. People kill animals every day in this country.