5th Starter Scenarios

Quin

So, after I saw the Trib. article on Hudson possibly seeing the South Side soon, I'm confused.

When Peavy comes up, that leaves one rotation spot open. And rid us of DeWayne Wise.

So what happens?

If Freddy pitches well, I'd assume he'd take the fifth starter spot, and Contreras would get Randy Williams' bullpen spot.

But what if Hudson also came up for some reason, would he contend for that fifth spot or would he possibly (hopefully) take Pena's spot?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 02:19 AM)
I really want to see Dan Hudson start up here, but I'm not sure if it would be beneficial in the long run... It would probably be better to leave him down there a bit, but damn, i want to see this guy pitch.

hudson will be the fifth starter

next year

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 02:19 AM)
I really want to see Dan Hudson start up here, but I'm not sure if it would be beneficial in the long run... It would probably be better to leave him down there a bit, but damn, i want to see this guy pitch.

I assumed that was the plan, but it seems Rick Hahn now only talks about either Beckham's man strength or how Hudson could be up this year.

hudson will be the fifth starter

next year

I think it would be best to let him finish the year in AAA and then depending on his stats you can do a September call up. If the season finishes in the first week of Sep he could possibly get 3-4 starts with the Sox.

Wise stays.

By yhe time Peavy's ready, we're a few days away from Sept. 1 roster expansions...so my guess is you drop one of the younger bullpen pitchers who has options, then bring him back in September.

The roles Wise plays best (late inning defense and speed) are good components to have during the last month of a playoff run.

QUOTE (buckweaver @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 07:12 AM)
Wise stays.

By yhe time Peavy's ready, we're a few days away from Sept. 1 roster expansions...so my guess is you drop one of the younger bullpen pitchers who has options, then bring him back in September.

The roles Wise plays best (late inning defense and speed) are good components to have during the last month of a playoff run.

Wise is a fine guy to have on the roster in September if he's used properly. With all the slow guys, he's a nice pinch runner. With guys like Pods and Quentin and Dye in the field, although he's not the GG calibur OF a lot think because of one certain catch, he's an upgrade defensively from those guys.(Of course, I might be an upgrade defensively) Just don't put him in the line-up a couple days a week, and certainly don't have him lead off. The man cannot hit. He's proved it throughout his career. With the addition of Rios and Kotsay, there is really no way Wise should come to the plate when the at bat is crucial to the outcome of the game.

Hudson's fastball was 91-92 m.p.h. Friday night, a bit lower than it has been at times. His slider and changeup were sharp, and he showed poise after five of the first nine Norfolk hitters reached base against him. Hahn likened him to a cross between Gavin Floyd and the Angels' Jered Weaver.

Trib

I'd like to get a look at that.

Jose Contreras-S-White Sox Aug. 15 - 9:21 am et

Despite giving up six runs in 4 1/3 innings, Jose Contreras will remain in the rotation.

"I don't have any choice," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "Our options aren't much. Maybe (Saturday), we change our minds. But right now, we got to keep running him out there, hopefully for the best." After a bumpy start to the year, Contreras seemed to start turning things around in June and July. He's right back to being a liability, and you can bet the White Sox are looking for a replacement.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)

Despite giving up six runs in 4 1/3 innings, Jose Contreras will remain in the rotation.

"I don't have any choice," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "Our options aren't much. Maybe (Saturday), we change our minds. But right now, we got to keep running him out there, hopefully for the best." After a bumpy start to the year, Contreras seemed to start turning things around in June and July. He's right back to being a liability, and you can bet the White Sox are looking for a replacement.

woohoo! :headbang

and no, not meant to be green.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)

I can't wait until Contreras leaves this team. I'll guarantee an issue here is that if he's not in the rotation, yet still healthy, Contreras will throw a fit pitching out of the bullpen so some rookie can take his spot.

If there was a way I could guarantee we'd win Saturdays game, yet Contreras gives up 10 earned runs in two innings, I'd support it. I'm just tired of looking at him. Five years is enough on this team, old man. Move on.

And yes, I believe Hudson is a better option. I'm sure he can equal Contreras' production without the high pitch count early or the methodical, almost torturous temp on the mound.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

That the sox sent Hahn and company to watch hudson pitch, I could see him getting a start very soon. They must be pretty confident that he could be successful. Then, depending on how he threw, as well as Freddy, Jose may be AAA bound. Jose has to get some consistency. He likely won't get that in the bullpen.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
That the sox sent Hahn and company to watch hudson pitch, I could see him getting a start very soon. They must be pretty confident that he could be successful. Then, depending on how he threw, as well as Freddy, Jose may be AAA bound. Jose has to get some consistency. He likely won't get that in the bullpen.

Success in trhe minors doesn't necessarily mean success at the big league level, cotts. In Cotts defense, we took him out of birmingham and he never developed a third or fourth pitch. Cotts had fits of brilliance in 05. Hudson might be the real thing. Bring him up Jose doesn't look good at all. However; Jose is totally unpredictable, remember when we thought he was through before and then reeled out what was it 10 in a row. I think that was with the help of El Duque. THe bronze titan still has the talent, I think we should call Elduque up to be an assistant pitching coach just to help with our once great Contreras. Because as it goes presently Jose is way too inconsistent.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
And yes, I believe Hudson is a better option. I'm sure he can equal Contreras' production without the high pitch count early or the methodical, almost torturous temp on the mound.

How about letting Hudson prove he can pitch effectively in AAA before throwing him in as fifth starter in a major league pennant race?

At this point I'd be willing to give just about anyone a shot at the 5th starter over Jose. He has been completely ineffective for an extended period of time. 4-11 with a 5.40 ERA is not getting the job done. I'd be more accepting of him in that role if we were just playing for next year and not in a playoff race.

Wise is definitely not going anywhere. Ozzie has shown that much.

As to the 5th starter, I truly don't care anymore. I don't want to see Jose, but I don't think we have any better options (that are ready ATM anyways). Hopefully Peavy brings some magical aura that ignites a fire under the asses of the rest of the staff, and everyone pitches like its game 7 of the World Series for the rest of the year.. we can only dream.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 09:00 AM)
woohoo! :headbang

and no, not meant to be green.

Why, when everyone else on the site is in agreement on something, is there always one person who refuses to see things that are incredibly obvious?

This is no shot at Reddy, but there's always that one guy who goes against the entire site for some reason that nobody understands.