I'm for cutting Contreras

VAfan

At this point, Jose is not helping the ball club. He's taking a roster spot that could be better filled, IMHO, by ANY starter the Sox have in the minors.

I had some high hopes earlier this year when he was sent down to rehab. He came back strong and pitched two gems in a row. But that's been it. 6 run lead last night and he can't even get through 5 with the lead. Sure, Sox defense was pitiful behind him. But that didn't excuse the pitch he grooved to Ellis that cleared the bases. Or the two guys he let on in the 5th with a 1 run lead.

If Freddy Garcia can pitch, let him take Jose's slot. Then we still need a 5th guy to fill two starts until Peavy joins us. But at least we wouldn't have the complete downer that Jose has become. He doesn't even look like he wants to win. It's the Javy Vasquez syndrome. It hurts the team.

If he won't take a minor league reassignment, then cut him loose.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
At this point, Jose is not helping the ball club. He's taking a roster spot that could be better filled, IMHO, by ANY starter the Sox have in the minors.

I had some high hopes earlier this year when he was sent down to rehab. He came back strong and pitched two gems in a row. But that's been it. 6 run lead last night and he can't even get through 5 with the lead. Sure, Sox defense was pitiful behind him. But that didn't excuse the pitch he grooved to Ellis that cleared the bases. Or the two guys he let on in the 5th with a 1 run lead.

If Freddy Garcia can pitch, let him take Jose's slot. Then we still need a 5th guy to fill two starts until Peavy joins us. But at least we wouldn't have the complete downer that Jose has become. He doesn't even look like he wants to win. It's the Javy Vasquez syndrome. It hurts the team.

If he won't take a minor league reassignment, then cut him loose.

Javy Vazquez syndrome? You must have been in a coma about 4 years ago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
Javy Vazquez syndrome? You must have been in a coma about 4 years ago.

I remember 2005 very well, when Jose was the key to our postseason rotation. But Jose looks nothing like the pitcher he was then.

There are two more games Jose is scheduled to pitch. This Wednesday against Zach Greinke, and then with the off day, he'd be @ Boston on the 26th. After that, Peavy is set to return.

Those 2 games could be critical to passing the Tigers this season. Is Jose really the White Sox' best option to try to win those games?

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 09:32 AM)
I remember 2005 very well, when Jose was the key to our postseason rotation. But Jose looks nothing like the pitcher he was then.

There are two more games Jose is scheduled to pitch. This Wednesday against Zach Greinke, and then with the off day, he'd be @ Boston on the 26th. After that, Peavy is set to return.

Those 2 games could be critical to passing the Tigers this season. Is Jose really the White Sox' best option to try to win those games?

Yes he is. Who else is there? Torres? Did you see what he did? Hudson, making a major league debut? Please. Contreras was lights out after he came back from the minors until the all star break, then lost his rythm. He's been good for a few innings in each of his past 2 starts then fell apart after some broken bat hits and bad fielding. I think he's by far the best option.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
He wants to win. A lot of pitchers have the stoic look.

Rip him all you want, but I'm sure he wants to do well. I do agree it's time to try somebody else.

I am with you on this one. Jose is a proud fellow and a competitor. He can all of sidden turn it around and carry the team pitching staff

We've always been against using JC as a reliever because he has been pretty open about not liking it.

But isnt possible he might better at this, at this stage at his career?

For a few straight outings he has looked good early and then completely fallen apart, like off a cliff style

That doesnt tell us anything specific, but we do need RH from the pen so maybe it be experimented with.

As far as totally bouncing him, I dunno. He's been the kind of guy that can be unhittable or impossibly bad for stretches. As sad as that sounds, it still could be valuable for us if he has that kind of upswing again.

Edited by Princess Dye

The frustrating thing about Contreras is that he's either brilliant or horsesh*t and there doesn't seem to be any in between.

I think we should say a special prayer to the baseball gods that he have one last brilliant stretch that allows him to end his (and Thome's) WhiteSox careers on a high note.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
The frustrating thing about Contreras is that he's either brilliant or horsesh*t and there doesn't seem to be any in between.

I think he was pretty much in-between the other night. He wasn't horses***. He was pitching pretty well but finally wasn't quite good enough to pitch over multiple mistakes by the defense.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 05:49 PM)
I think he was pretty much in-between the other night. He wasn't horses***. He was pitching pretty well but finally wasn't quite good enough to pitch over multiple mistakes by the defense.

No he was awful and his pitches had nothing.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
No he was awful and his pitches had nothing.

In that inning where Alexei committed that error when he tried to get that ball that should've been caught by Nix, Contreras ended that inning with a strikeout.

That tells me he still has something.

With the rosters expanding in a couple of weeks, there's no reason to DFA Jose. If there's no roster space, put him on the 15-day DL with a fabricated injury until then.

DFAing Jose would not only not help that Sox all that much, but could also be interpreted as disrespectful. Keep in mind that players and their agents watch the way that Kenny treats his players.

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
yeah lets cut someone that was key to 05... especially when it looks to be his last year.

You don't mess with the morale of the ballclub with 1.5 months left. That's just bad baseball.

2005, was what? 4 years ago? Count was pretty good too. Hell, let's bring everyone back. Anyone have Kelly Wunsh's number?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
I'd put him through waivers, and try to work something out. If not his best value for this team is not in the minors, but in the pen. He's actually fairly solid through 3 innings of work.

You could bet your life that he has been put through waivers already.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 11:52 PM)
You could bet your life that he has been put through waivers already.

I was going to say this but I forgot. Hundreds of players get put on waivers every year, just for the hell of it.