I'm for cutting Contreras

VAfan

Contreras doesn't seem to start to suck until the 4th inning. This screams productive, long-reliever to me.

If you're paying him, which you would be, there's absolutely no reason to deal a guy who can still dial it up to the low-mid nineties and has decent off-speed stuff. Contreras just needs to head to the pen.

Soon as I post this thread to cut Contreras, he pitches a gem in a must-win game over the Royals. Any chance he could get back on a roll? He apparently talked to El Duque and changed his pants to go with the high socks of his protoge. Not sure why Sox don't just put El Duque on the payroll if he can fix Jose. I didn't even see Contreras's game, but I know the guy can still pitch. Now we just need 3-4 more of these in a row because the Tigers aren't going to make it easy.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 06:38 PM)
Soon as I post this thread to cut Contreras, he pitches a gem in a must-win game over the Royals. Any chance he could get back on a roll? He apparently talked to El Duque and changed his pants to go with the high socks of his protoge. Not sure why Sox don't just put El Duque on the payroll if he can fix Jose. I didn't even see Contreras's game, but I know the guy can still pitch. Now we just need 3-4 more of these in a row because the Tigers aren't going to make it easy.

Contreras was effective because he didn't drop down even one time to throw a pitch. Everything was over the top. Whenever he'd do his goofy old man, drop down throw it'd either be a flat fastball or a hanging breaking ball. He rarely seemed to have command of either pitch dropping down, too. I know many on Soxtalk have been complaining about it for awhile, so it's good to see that he stopped it with immediate results.

And please, no more talk about the protege angle. Contreras is old enough to where some right hand buddy isn't needed for him to pitch well. Why should the White Sox consider putting Hernandez on the payroll when all Contreras has to do is make a phone call? Or meet up with him in person outside of the ballpark?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

The mental approach has always been the issue from Contreras, at least since he came to the states. The Sox rebuilt his approach after he left the Yankees and that was when he became successful. It doesn't surprise me that someone saying something different sparks something in him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
He said "Pass through". 100% are put on waivers. I'd bet something like 20% seriously pass through.

I'd bet much more than 20%. No one is going to claim Jamie Carroll, even at minimum salary, but I bet he was put on and cleared.

I'd bet closer to 60% of players clear waivers. A player like Roy Halladay wouldn't, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if CC Sabathia has already cleared waivers. I would only be slightly surprised if Johan Santana has cleared waivers.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 07:38 PM)

I'm sorry, but if you "knew" he could pitch why did you say this less than a week earlier?

QUOTE (VAfan @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
At this point, Jose is not helping the ball club. He's taking a roster spot that could be better filled, IMHO, by ANY starter the Sox have in the minors.

If he won't take a minor league reassignment, then cut him loose.

Be consistent.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 08:50 AM)
I'm sorry, but if you "knew" he could pitch why did you say this less than a week earlier?

Be consistent.

Knowing he CAN pitch, and actually having Jose pitch to his abilities are two very different things. The guy doesn't have a bad arm, or a problem with his achilles, but he's a head-case extraordinaire.

When I posted this, I didn't see any chance of him snapping out of his funk after that game in Oakland where we spotted him 6 runs in the first two innings. He couldn't even make it through the 5th with the lead.

At this point, I'm just hoping we can get another couple of quality starts. But would I put any money on it? No. Would you?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
So far I hope VAfan keeps calling out Sox players since they always seem to do something positive after he does. :D

Not sure who else I have "called out."

Mark Buehrle for losing several games after his perfect one? He still doesn't look sharp.

Chris Getz, for being a light-hitting player that will always seem marginal to me? He's on the DL.

Just the team in general, whom I consider to be underachievers? I'd love it if they'd prove themselves by catching and passing the Tigers.

I knew better then to assume Jose would maintain his hot period when he came back from the minors. Fact is he's been below average since the second half of 2006. I'll always remember him for the contributions he's made to the team (he was the ace of one of the most dominant pitching staffs of the decade), but his time is up after this year.

DFA....PLEASE!!!!!!!! He is done. That inning was horrible. We are going to lose this damn game because he couldn't field a groundball and doesn't have the mental ability to pitch over a few mistakes. He hurts the team, please get rid of him, eat the remaining dollars for the final month. Bring up Peavy to take the spot and hope Freddy can fill the 5th spot or make a waiver deal for someone to fill the role the last month. We need a real pitcher if we are gonna win this division. Each game matters at this point. There is no reason to know we are gonna lose on Jose Contreras days 80% of the time. Get us someone who at least gives us a 50/50 shot at winning.

Pretty soon we are gonna be looking forward to next year.

Team needs a lot of changes.

Sox are gonna look a lot different next year. Hope KW pushes the right buttons. We need to be a .600ish team again in this league. Our only hope is to win the division each and every year with those east teams as monsters.

Jose obviously is gawn; Freddie gawn; some of our plodders will be gawn this time around. We better hope Rios isn't the lazy bum he's been portrayed as. He's gonna be our cf for some time to come.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 07:03 PM)
DFA....PLEASE!!!!!!!! He is done. That inning was horrible. We are going to lose this damn game because he couldn't field a groundball and doesn't have the mental ability to pitch over a few mistakes. He hurts the team, please get rid of him, eat the remaining dollars for the final month. Bring up Peavy to take the spot and hope Freddy can fill the 5th spot or make a waiver deal for someone to fill the role the last month. We need a real pitcher if we are gonna win this division. Each game matters at this point. There is no reason to know we are gonna lose on Jose Contreras days 80% of the time. Get us someone who at least gives us a 50/50 shot at winning.

100%...DFA....TOMORROW...that ground ball up the line was f***ing horrible. Good bye Bronze Titan. Enjoy your millions and your stay in America.