Stephen Strasburg

Kyyle23

Boras and Strasburg  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Strasburg

• Boras Puppet
    • soon-to-be well paid pitcher

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
Ever heard of Matt Harrington? Pretty much a textbook example of what not to do.

He retired later that year and now installs tires in a Costco in Texas for $11.50 per hour

Ouch...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
Did Crow sign with the Royals?

Not yet. I am not sure what his thinking is here. He wants to be close to home and the Royals have that. He also wants a place where he can be fast-tracked to the majors, which is KC. There is no way he doesn't sign two years in a row, is there?

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
If the Nationals' offer was only $12.5 million, they should be ashamed and boycotted. I in no way think they should even approach the number Boras wants, but I'd think $20 million in a market like Washington would be worth it given the fact that they failed to sign their pick from last year as well.

I'm glad I follow a team that cares.

I dont know, its still 2 million higher than the previous highest offer. Do you want to be known as the team that escalated the salaries that these kids demand to double the amount previously regarded as the highest? There has to be some sort of check to what Boras is doing here, if the kid is worth the money, he is going to be making 10X that next time payday comes along. Both Strasburg and Boras would benefit to get him playing as soon as he can and working towards his next superstar paycheck that can sit up on Boras's mantle next to Texeira, Damon, Manny, and Arod.

And it isnt like the Nats are a rich team with tons of resources, Strasburg is making it pretty hard for them to try and bring in a team around him.

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
Not yet. I am not sure what his thinking is here. He wants to be close to home and the Royals have that. He also wants a place where he can be fast-tracked to the majors, which is KC. There is no way he doesn't sign two years in a row, is there?

He's got plenty of time because I believe I had read that since he played indy ball or something along those lines that he won't be subject to the August 17th deadline. Crazy that he hasn't signed by now though.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 03:24 PM)
I've also heard Japan as a possible destination should he not sign.

I heard on a local TV stations Japanese owners said no. Japanese are mad at MLB for signing Tazawa. They have agreements between leagues not to do this things.

My guess is that Strasburg will sign tonight.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
His numbers in college were sensational. The hype was justified; the problem was that there was a huge misconception about just how “perfect” his mechanics were. I don’t think anyone can deny that he did experience significant success at the major league level when he was healthy. He was a good pitcher, a really good pitcher, but his fatal flaw was his arm slot, and the pressure his delivery exerted on his shoulder. A guy like Lincecum has developed a method that allows him to deliver the ball over-the top with minimal stress, Prior used his stress to increase velocity, which increased wear and tear.

I would agree with the problem with mechanics but not it's source. The arm slot wasn't all that different. The big problem was with the manner in which he threw his breaking pitches. He followed the Tom House/ Nolan Ryan style of throwing the breaking pitch where he kept his wrist straight and "snapped" his wrist down.This is exemplified by the football toss drill to enhance the wrist movement. Most biomechancial models show how much stress this puts on the shoulder and elbow.

JonHeyman-

#nats are upping their bid from 12.5 mil, according to sources. the game's not over quite yet. 54 mins to go.
Dont buckle! Dont let Boras win!

Kevin Goldstein-

Just got first MLB Front Office guy to predict a Strasburg NON-sign "Just a gut feel -- no inside info"
Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 11:10 PM)
Will he pitch in the Majors this season?

What do they have to lose? Could make for a nice bump in attendance to round out the year.

I'm glad the kid signed. I'd be very curious if Boras pushed him to accept or if Stras overruled Boras and told him to tell WAS yes.