What is your general feeling about the White Sox?

striker

111 members have voted

1. 1. Are the White Sox underachievers or do we have too high of expectations?

• Underachievers
    • We have too high of expectations

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
^ yikes

Incredibly stupid offense, worst defense in the majors, etc.

I find the Sox to be unwatchable, but I still tune in because I'm a glutton for punishment.

I don't remember people being this delusional on soxtalk. I'd say that 75 to 78 wins is about right.

I think it's perfectly logical for fans of a team that plays in the AL Central to conclude that their team should be competitive for the entirety of the year. I think it's deluded to call people names for making a logical assumption based on the competiveness of a weak division.

Edited by Thunderbolt

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 06:40 PM)
I think it’s perfectly logical for fans of a team that plays in the AL Central to conclude that their team should be completive for the entirety of the year. I think it’s deluded to call people names for making a logical assumption based on the competiveness of a weak division.

orly_spock.jpg

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
I will say this...if Pods keeps being THIS bad in OF, you will see Dye and Thome both back. The FA market sucks this yr so maybe we try to just go one more year with each. Obviously Dye's option is huge but if there's really nothing else they want to spend on, it's conceivable. And then you can cash in with a trade later on.

Also, thatd be the kind of offseason that, sadly, is fanbase friendly.

You open up the possibility that way of the enticing 1.Bacon 2.AR 3.Thome 4.Quentin 5. Dye 6.AJP 7.Konerko 8. Rios 9. Getz

Your best hitter gets the most atbats and Alexei gets his fastballs again.

When you break everything down and look at all possibilities, bringing back the geriatrics brigade is probably the best option. But it still doesn't make it hurt any less looking at that lineup for another season.

Also, Alex Rios is one expensive #8 hitter...

Underachievers. This team has absolutely no business not winning this crap division, but we've given away an incredible amount of games. It feels amazingly like 2003, as someone mentioned before. Just like in 2003, we have a talented team with a very good pitching rotation (although our offense isn't as good this year, but our pitching staff will be better when Peavy gets back), but I think we're going to miss a golden opportunity to make the playoffs. Also, like in 2003, I think this team could make a serious run if it just found a way to get in.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Underachievers. This team has absolutely no business not winning this crap division, but we've given away an incredible amount of games. It feels amazingly like 2003, as someone mentioned before. Just like in 2003, we have a talented team with a very good pitching rotation (although our offense isn't as good this year, but our pitching staff will be better when Peavy gets back), but I think we're going to miss a golden opportunity to make the playoffs. Also, like in 2003, I think this team could make a serious run if it just found a way to get in.

Couldn't agree more. Might actually keep up with the tradition in the AL Central with a new division winner every year since 2004, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the Tigers maintain the tradition. But Ima still watch my sox to see if they can break that.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 01:21 PM)

That about sums it up.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
Also, like in 2003, I think this team could make a serious run if it just found a way to get in.

I don't understand this statement. We have been inconsistent all year long. What would change in the post season when we face the opposing team's best pitchers?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
I don't understand this statement. We have been inconsistent all year long. What would change in the post season when we face the opposing team's best pitchers?

This team seems to focus much more against really good teams(Dodgers, Rays, Yankees, Angels), that guy named Jake Peavy might help a little bit too.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
This team seems to focus much more against really good teams(Dodgers, Rays, Yankees, Angels), that guy named Jake Peavy might help a little bit too.

When all you have to do is be 3 games above .500 in a 19 game stretch, and you can throw out Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, you've got a shot at dominating every time.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)

The big x-factor is peavy. It's a great bunch of starters you can put into a series, and there could even be some way of overworking those guys to make up for bullpen crappiness.

Also if they get all these new faces slotted right in a lineup, things would be great. I still thnk something has to be done with Beckham as he may serve us better at #1 or #3. He's great everywhere but we need to maximize things

Underachieving.

The fifth starter problem--be it Contreras or Colon--seems to nag away. When we got Peavy I figured if Contreras can get it together, we're in good shape. That hasn't happened.

The defense is the big worry; pitching and defense, pitching and defense wins championships, as we saw in '05. The defense is killing us.

There's plenty of upside: Beckham, having Rios now, Scotty having a career year, Paulie being solid.

But continual defensive errors will kill us. We're better than I thought we'd be after April, but we should be a lot better. The talent is obviously there, what we lack is any kind of consistency. Exemplified when we take both series when playing the best of the East and best of the West, and then flop versus... Cleveland.

I'm still hoping for the division but not much beyond that. Next year, though, oughta be interesting.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)

A team with Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd and Danks as their four starters in the post season is always going to be a threat to make a deep run.

This team reminds me of my golf game, they can't seem to get the 3 main phases of their game working well at the same time. If they hit, the defense of pitching lets them down. If they pitch and play D, the offense doesn't show up. If they pitch and hit, there will be some miscues on D that make the game close. It's incredibly frustrating and points to a lack of focus and/or an expectation of failure.

Also, I don't think it's fair to compare our April expectations to our expectations here in August. This team had a bunch of minor league crap on the roster in April.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
Since almost everyone thinks the AL Central is a crap division, doesn't that mean there are 4-5 crap teams in the division? And I say 4-5 because one may be below crap.

I’d argue that the Tigers and White Sox are probably the only above-average teams in the division (in an ideal world) with the Twins being simply average, and the Indians and Royals being well below.