What is your general feeling about the White Sox?

striker

111 members have voted

1. 1. Are the White Sox underachievers or do we have too high of expectations?

• Underachievers
    • We have too high of expectations

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As they are currently built we are underachievers but the team we started the year with was an ~.500 team (do you remember seeing Brent Lillibridge, Josh Fields and Brian Anderson in the lineup for a few weeks!

So without being so bad early on in the year we would be in 1st and no one would be calling us underachievers.

16-15 since the ASB isn't too bad when you look at our schedule and saw we played vs teams like the Yankees, Angels, Rays, Tigers and Twins. The thing i don't like seeing is that we are under .500 vs the AL Central and 15-14 vs KC and Cleveland combined! Honestly our defense has probably lost us 5+ games this year. Our starting pitching has been solid, our offense is solid, our pen has been shaky but most pens are iffy this time of year, its our horrible defense thats going to make or break us.

With six of the last nine games against detroit, and considering the talent of our starting pitching staff and detroit's mediocrity, there's essentially no way we'll be eliminated before the last two weeks of the season.

Can you imagine the baseball remaining to be played?

We got that road trip from hell and say we do somehow survive it all and those games against Detroit the last nine games are meaningful ... that's playoff intensity every single game.

Here's the question to answer this thread:

On paper, if you were a GM or manager, which team would you rather have? White Sox or Tigers?

Aside from grinder mentality and all that ... pure talent, which team?

I think I'd rather work with what the White Sox have.

If we lose tonight (we're down 5-4 in the ninth with Soria coming in) I think this thread might get a few more responses. Detroit won tonight. We had huge crowd. It's either rally vs. Soria or look at Greinke with the series on the line. The underachieving clicks may grow tonight.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 08:13 PM)
If we lose tonight (we're down 5-4 in the ninth with Soria coming in) I think this thread might get a few more responses. Detroit won tonight. We had huge crowd. It's either rally vs. Soria or look at Greinke with the series on the line. The underachieving clicks may grow tonight.

My expectation are high but we're underachieving. If we can't score against KC's bullpen we're hopeless.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Considering upcoming matchups, upcoming pitching matchups, upcoming schedules, games left, standings, and current level of play....my current general feeling about the White Sox is we're in more trouble than we have been since early to mid June.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Ozzie on the Sox:

''We have to remember our ballclub in the beginning of the season was not a good one,'' Guillen said. "With all due respect, [early in the season] we've got [bartolo] Colon and [Jose] Contreras down [with injuries]. We've got Josh [Fields], Brian [Anderson], [Dewayne] Wise playing. I mean, please.

''But in the meantime, if I got a bet in the American League Central, I will take a good chance on my ballclub. Very good chance.

Interesting. We always knew he thought Anderson sucked, but Fields and Wise?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 08:22 AM)
Ozzie on the Sox:

''We have to remember our ballclub in the beginning of the season was not a good one,'' Guillen said. "With all due respect, [early in the season] we've got [bartolo] Colon and [Jose] Contreras down [with injuries]. We've got Josh [Fields], Brian [Anderson], [Dewayne] Wise playing. I mean, please.

''But in the meantime, if I got a bet in the American League Central, I will take a good chance on my ballclub. Very good chance.

Interesting. We always knew he thought Anderson sucked, but Fields and Wise?

lol, refreshing to hear him come out and actually say the truth about Wise.

The Sox are who we thought they were,they're who we thought they were!

I predicted we would finish at 78 wins so they are actually exceeding my expectation of them...

The reason I believe we are mediocre at best is because this team as talented on paper as they are,we are horrible on defense and bad defensive teams don't make it to the playoffs often :gosox3:

Because it would be a direct slam at his boss, KW, who provided him nothing but a guy like Wise for the roster.

I'm more surprised at the Fields comment. He was supposed to be something if you read all the comments during the winter. And he's just another guy who can't hit.

At the start of the year, most people would not have expected the Sox to be 3 games out on August 19th with having Contreras, Colon, Garcia, Carrasco, Richard, and Torres starting in 48 games and having the likes of Betemit, Owens, Wise, Lillibridge, Miller, Anderson, and Fields altogether getting about 700 AB's.

I had to leave after we had went up 4-1 last night

I felt pretty good, even though I knew FG would give up some runs, I thought we would definitely be able to score a COUPLE more. Watching the ESPN ticker made me sicker and sicker when KC went up 5-4 and then held the lead. Sickening, disgusting, dreadful.

Did KC really pitch that good after the PK and CQ bombs??? Or did we just mentally destroy ourselves again? I have a really hard time believing we couldn't nab another run on a team that was 46-72 entering the game. Pathetic. I've about had it with this years Chicago Weak Sauce. KW needs to identify who the mental midgets are and get rid of them. I've had enough of watching one of the most talented teams in the league fight itself harder then the opponent.