Tigers acquire Aubrey Huff

JackTalkThai

Isnt Huff at this point a 1B or 3b? Who is he going to replace? Inge or Cabrera? I cant see them replacing Raburn in the outfield, that would be disastrous defensively. Even if you replace Inge with Huff at 3rd, the guy is a butcher IIRC

We’re still better then the Tigers in the rotation and pen. We also have the bench advantage along with both corner infield spots, and the shortstop and catcher position. The Tigers defense remains superior to our own, but ultimately, I’d say this does little to affect the divisional race.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
Isnt Huff at this point a 1B or 3b? Who is he going to replace? Inge or Cabrera? I cant see them replacing Raburn in the outfield, that would be disastrous defensively. Even if you replace Inge with Huff at 3rd, the guy is a butcher IIRC

Raburn had three errors yesterday, including two in the 10th inning. I imagine Huff will DH with Guillen shifting to left.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 03:01 PM)
We’re still better then the Tigers in the rotation and pen. We also have the bench advantage along with both corner infield spots, and the shortstop and catcher position. The Tigers defense remains superior to our own, but ultimately, I’d say this does little to affect the divisional race.

On paper sure.. but as you do know, also doesn't mean s***. Like I said in the other thread on Pale Hose it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Tigers win it, and keep up that new division winner theme.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
Raburn had three errors yesterday, including two in the 10th inning. I imagine Huff will DH with Guillen shifting to left.

Whahaha and that is a good thing for the tigers? LOL, by all means. Go ahead and put Guillen in left

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
Whahaha and that is a good thing for the tigers? LOL, by all means. Go ahead and put Guillen in left

Absolutely. :P Huff, like Washburn, is due for a huge raise in arbitration. So, the Tigers are either going to have to risk taking on a lot of salary or simply sacrifice those draft picks. Essentially, The Tigers have traded a nice arm for a month and a half of Huff.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
The Tigers defense remains superior to our own, but ultimately, I’d say this does little to affect the divisional race.

I completely disagree. Don't you think we would have won 3 more games (at least) if our defense hadn't been so shoddy? There's probably a stat to back up this claim.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 04:23 PM)
I completely disagree. Don't you think we would have won 3 more games (at least) if our defense hadn't been so shoddy? There's probably a stat to back up this claim.

The Tigers defense has been better then us all year. The move for Huff doesn't improve it at all. The fact is we've been on their heels all year. Ideally, another week of Nix at 2b, and now with, Rios in CF should close the gap even further.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
The Tigers defense has been better then us all year. The move for Huff doesn't improve it at all. The fact is we've been on their heels all year. Ideally, another week of Nix at 2b, and now with, Rios in CF should close the gap even further.

As to the Huff trade, yes you are right. But overall since their defense is vastly better than ours, it's not insignificant. That's the only gripe I had with your post.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 05:07 PM)
As to the Huff trade, yes you are right. But overall since their defense is vastly better than ours, it's not insignificant. That's the only gripe I had with your post.

Understandable, the White Sox are well-below average defensively in nearly every position.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)

It doesn't matter, he sucks either way in the field.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
A nice upgrade over Ryan Raburn.

Not really...

Raburn's got a .767 OPS along with a .330 wOBA. He's been a barely above average offensive player this season.

Huff has a below league average OPS of .725 and a weak .307 wOBA. He's been a bit unlucky this year, but still, that's not good.

Huff's also bad on defense, just like Raburn. If anything, this was a move to keep Ordonez out of the lineup.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)
Not really...

Raburn's got a .767 OPS along with a .330 wOBA. He's been a barely above average offensive player this season.

Huff has a below league average OPS of .725 and a weak .307 wOBA. He's been a bit unlucky this year, but still, that's not good.

Huff's also bad on defense, just like Raburn. If anything, this was a move to keep Ordonez out of the lineup.

That's probably the best move they can make in any case. Get out of Magglio's contract with a reason that will keep the PA off the Tigers' backs when Borass throws a hissy fit.

I wonder if the Magglio situation will hurt their standing with all their Borass clients in the future? My guess is no because Borass is still a snake who doesn't hold dearly anything other than money.