8/18 - Sox vs. Kansas City 7:11pm CDT - CSN

knightni

QUOTE (Hollywood_AU @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 09:32 PM)
I hate to say it but this season is about 3 or 4 days from being over. Seriously, it may not be a bad idea to put Peavy on the shelf until spring.

It's so frustrating because there is no reason the team should be as bad as they are. Major disappointment.

What do you think about giving Peavy one or two more starts in AAA and then calling it a season?

im with you man. No reason to risk injury to a hurt pitcher who we have invested a ton of money into for years to come. Why rush him back to pitch for a non contrender

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 03:35 AM)
Don't let anyone fool you. He was not good against a very bad team. Our competition only gets better over the next few weeks. That translates to blow out losses with Freddy on the mound.

Ozzie was very happy with how Garcia threw the ball. That hanging slider will dominate Boston in Fenway!

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)
Just got back from work, didn't see much. The score isn't insane, so I ask... how was Freddy tonight? Did he have anything?

He looked good for about 2-3 innings then pulled a Contreras and fell apart. I don't think he was as bad as some posters make him seem, but he gave up 4 ER when he exited (R. Williams allowed the 5 ER) to the Royals which is never good. I don't think he's the answer but I'm not gonna call for Hudson after making one good start in AAA just yet either. Give him alittle time people.

QUOTE (nastymasty21 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
im with you man. No reason to risk injury to a hurt pitcher who we have invested a ton of money into for years to come. Why rush him back to pitch for a non contrender

Especially since his arm is fine, he really doesn't even need the AAA starts. Just give him the entire offseason to rest up and get ready for 2010. No need to do anything the organization might regret.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
I'm gonna start with aging DHs being all over our lineup and then i'm gonna get back to you with more.

Paulie is 33 and is still a productive 1B who saves a lot of runs for our pitching staff by picking dogs*** throws from our IF. I'd hardly call him an aging DH.

CQ is looking better as time goes by and is more than capable as a LF, plus he's still young.

Pods and Dye, I agree.

AJ, nope.

So tonight we had two players that would fit that criteria in the lineup and one of them DH'd. The other was in RF which is an admitted defensive weak spot, but it's not like he doesn't have a bat. I'd hardly call us a lineup full of aging DH's after the Rios acquisition.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 03:52 AM)
After 05 I got much better at stomaching losses. Not this year, something about this f***in team really gets me

It's their demeanor on the field. So many stupid mental errors, no accountability, and seemingly no fight at the end of games.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)
It's their demeanor on the field. So many stupid mental errors, no accountability, and seemingly no fight at the end of games.

Seemingly every player on the roster mentally fades in and out of games with regularity

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
Ozzie liked that way Freddy pitched. Your You cannot have Freddy and the Count going back to back, unless you have the rosters expanded.

Freddy pitches good for about 3 innings. Contreras pitches well for 3-4 innings. Boom. Combine them to make the ultimate 5th SP. :D :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
Especially, because Boston takes pitches. The Royals swung at a lot of crap tonight, Boston will be a lot more patient then that.

Since when does being patient mean you can lay off of an offspeed pitch that looks like a strike coming towards home plate, or that you can't be tricked by a pitcher who takes something off of a pitch and get caught out in front? In fact, if anything, being overly patient is a BAD idea against Freddy because if his breaking stuff is working, the best way to get him is on his fastball which he'll use to get ahead of hitters early in the count.

My god you guys make it sound like Freddy is Jose's age and has Andy Sonnanstine's stuff.

If Freddy throws a quality start against Boston, which he is definitely capable of doing, watch this board freak out like it did when Jose had a few very nice outings after coming back. Freddy is 34, not 37, and he has more to offer in a tight situation than a totally erratic forkball and a drop-down garbage truck. The Freddy we have is not the same 85mph fastball Freddy that pitched for the Tigers last year or the Mets earlier this year. Through about 90 pitches or wherever he was at tongiht, the gun had his fastball consistently at 88-91. Give the guy a couple more starts to get up to speed and improve the command of his offspeed stuff and then we'll see where he is at.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Hollywood_AU @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 03:39 AM)
Especially since his arm is fine, he really doesn't even need the AAA starts. Just give him the entire offseason to rest up and get ready for 2010. No need to do anything the organization might regret.

Uh, no.

If it's not his arm, then it shouldn't matter. If he's fine to pitch, he's fine to pitch. Don't p**** him in.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)
Since when does being patient mean you can lay off an offspeed pitch that looks like a strike coming towards home plate, or that you can't be tricked by a pitcher who takes something off a pitch and get caught out in front? In fact, if anything, being overly patient is a BAD idea against Freddy because if his breaking stuff is working, the best way to get him is on his fastball which he'll use to get ahead of hitters.

My god you guys make it sound like Freddy is Jose's age and has Andy Sonnanstine's stuff.

I’m not sure you really understand what plate discipline is. I’m not really in the mood to explain the nuances to you so Ill put it like this. The Red Sox have it. The Royals don’t. The Royals have a team OBP of .313 The Red Sox have one of .348. The Red Sox rank 1st in the league in team walks. The Royals are 13th. See the difference? If Freddy Garcia throws bad pitches, the Red Sox have less of a propensity to swing at them then the Royals do.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 11:10 PM)
I’m not sure you really understand what plate discipline is. I’m not really in the mood to explain the nuances to you so I’ll put it like this. The Red Sox have it. The Royals don’t. The Royals have a team OBP of .313 The Red Sox have one of .348. The Red Sox rank 1st in the league in team walks. The Royals are 13th. See the difference?

Oh, please explain.

What is plate discipline? Recognizing what a guy is throwing early enough to decide whether or not to swing? Ok, so does this mean a batter with great plate discipline can routinely recognize the difference between a fastball and a GOOD change-up or splitter or a curveball AND THEN decide to hold up his swing, or lay off of it, or time it well enough to square it up and pick up a hit? If that's the case, then Boston's OBP should be a lot higher than .348. Please think in terms of baseball, not calculations.

If Freddy can find what he was doing for us in 2006 then he's capable of getting anyone out. Now that his fastball is where it was then, let's see if he can find that splitter and better control his curve. If Freddy can do that, then Boston, or any other team for that matter, is much better served to sit on his fastball and be aggressive early in the count when he's throwing it rather than sit back and try to hit the offspeed stuff that is dropping out of the zone. Now if Freddy can't locate the offspeed stuff well then it does *not* matter what the OBP is of any Major League team because he's still going to get hit.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 12:24 AM)
Oh, please explain.

What is plate discipline? Recognizing what a guy is throwing early enough to decide whether or not to swing? Ok, so does this mean a batter with great plate discipline can routinely recognize the difference between a fastball and a GOOD change-up or splitter or a curveball AND THEN decide to hold up his swing, or lay off of it, or time it well enough to square it up and pick up a hit? If that's the case, then Boston's OBP should be a lot higher than .348. Please think in terms of baseball, not calculations.

If Freddy can find what he was doing for us in 2006 then he's capable of getting anyone out. Now that his fastball is where it was then, let's see if he can find that splitter and better control his curve. If Freddy can do that, then Boston, or any other team for that matter, is much better served to sit on his fastball and be aggressive early in the count when he's throwing it rather than sit back and try to hit the offspeed stuff that is dropping out of the zone. Now if Freddy can't locate the offspeed stuff well then it does *not* matter what the OBP is of any Major League team because he's still going to get hit.

Kenny, I like you and I think we’re getting testy here. I’m sorry that my tone in my previous post was condescending, but I’m in a foul mood. My core argument is that the Red Sox are less likely to swing at some of Garcia’s bad pitches then the Royals were. Their numbers stand testament to it.