Favre Signing with Vikings today

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)
I'm so tired of this crap.

Favre's basically doing hit and runs with teams that are desperate at QB these past two years.

"Hey look, there's a team without a QB, I'll go there, screw it up, and then ditch them for another team that needs a QB by retiring and then coming out of retirement in the off-season."

He's become a whore.

Disagreed. The Packers were pretty damn good, even in his final years there. The Jets were pretty damn good last year before he got hurt. Is he a primmadonna for not wanting to practice? Yeah, but at the same time, he's probably earned some of that treatment considering in the amount of games he's played in.

As a life long Packer fan all I can say is thank you Ted Thompson. I was somewhat unsure when he originally traded Brett. But, to see this still going on is very reassuring. I can only imagine the drama if he was still with the Packers organization. Rodgers has to be thanking his lucky stars these days.

He outperformed Brett last year and I hope he does the same this year. He has been a breath of fresh air for the team and is turning into a great leader.

Also, the quotes from the current Packers about Favre are pretty damn interesting.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
The Packers aren't much different than the Bears. Packers have the better offense (rodgers is very good, I like Cutler more, but Rodgers has better receivers around him so I'd give the nod to the Packers offense).

qb even

wr packers

te Bears

OL even

RB Bears

Looks like an edge to the Bears to me

QUOTE (rangercal @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
qb even

wr packers

te Bears

OL even

RB Bears

Looks like an edge to the Bears to me

QB - Packers(Cutler is a great pickup for the Bears, but Rodgers at this point in time is a better overall QB as he makes less mistakes)

Receivers - Packers (Include Olson and Clark, it don't matter, they don't make up for the rest of the receivers)

OL - Packers (A pretty good unit familiar with each other; Bears have question marks with Pace's & Williams' health)

RB - Bears (Hopefully for Bears fans, he doesn't catch the Anthony Thomas syndrome)

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
QB - Packers(Cutler is a great pickup for the Bears, but Rodgers at this point in time is a better overall QB as he makes less mistakes)

Receivers - Packers (Include Olson and Clark, it don't matter, they don't make up for the rest of the receivers)

OL - Packers (A pretty good unit familiar with each other; Bears have question marks with Pace's & Williams' health)

RB - Bears (Hopefully for Bears fans, he doesn't catch the Anthony Thomas syndrome)

I can't see how you can give an edge to the pack at OL or QB. The Pack OL is not stable at all and not sure how you can call the Cutler/Rodgers comparison anything but even. If you group in the TE's with the WR's then it is a small advantage to Green Bay. The Biggest advantage is at the RB spot Forte>>>>> Anything Green bay will throw out there.

Chisox,

If I was a Vikings fan I just would prefer a QB who is willing to accept his role on the team. I just think that no matter what Farve is going to be Farve, and that is going to come with a good amount of questionable decisions. I also am not sure how physically capable he is going to be, he is coming off of surgery and has not had a full camp to prepare.

Maybe he will tear it up, the reality is that Sage and Tavaris are not exactly average qb's, I just think that the Vikings could have found a better solution that came with less baggage and distractions.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 03:14 AM)
And you my friend are nuts. Favre is going to be huge. And you wonder how the locker room will welcome Favre, the Viking team leaders and the Vikings have been going after Favre non-stop. It never stopped according to Mort and Glazer (per the radio interviews I heard).

And that was when they were recruiting him in the first place, and then he turned them down simply because he didn't want to go through a training camp. Just reeks of hypocrisy.

My point on Sage vs. Farve is this. Right now, when both are 100% healthy, Farve is clearly the better QB.

But who expects Farve to be 100% healthy for the whole season and the playoffs? I certainly don't, especially when he hasn't had any surgery since the end of last season to fix the partially torn rotator cuff.

I'd expect his numbers to decrease as the season goes along, just like they did with the Jets, and it'll cost the Vikings when it's all said and done.

Favre is an upgrade, but not as much as people are saying it is. First off, what is he, about the 22nd best QB in the NFL right now? Then, remember that he had that bicep issue (yes he had surgery but he is old), the partially torn rotator cuff, then he hasn't bothered with training camp or practice and he's going to have to cram the Vikings' offense and wing it with the WRs. He does have a great line and AD to play with but come on, let's quit acting like Favre still plays at a Hall of Fame level. It was a joke that he made the Pro Bowl last year.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 07:53 AM)
Favre is an upgrade, but not as much as people are saying it is. First off, what is he, about the 22nd best QB in the NFL right now? Then, remember that he had that bicep issue (yes he had surgery but he is old), the partially torn rotator cuff, then he hasn't bothered with training camp or practice and he's going to have to cram the Vikings' offense and wing it with the WRs. He does have a great line and AD to play with but come on, let's quit acting like Favre still plays at a Hall of Fame level. It was a joke that he made the Pro Bowl last year.

The year before last he went to the NFC title game, and nearly won, doing so with a fleet of young receivers (less Driver), and a no-name running back that was only good because Favre stood in front of him. The minute Favre left the team that running back regressed to the point of non existence and Greg Jennings looked human again.

But let's forget about all that.

Favre won't have to throw the ball 40 times a game anymore, like he did last year or the year before, since he has an actual running back (and backup).

But let's forget about all that, too.

Favre's rotator cuff injury is supposedly years old, a diagnosis by the one and only James Andrews (who I think knows what he's talking about), and his torn bicep is surgically repaired and healed.

Let's forget that, too, though.

It's more convenient to just pretend the Vikings are going to suck.

I didn't say the Vikings were going to suck, but all of the de facto clinging to Favre's dick is unwarranted.

Oh and Rodgers > Favre, sorry. Can't blame the lack of a QB for a decline in the RB's play.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
And that was when they were recruiting him in the first place, and then he turned them down simply because he didn't want to go through a training camp. Just reeks of hypocrisy.

My point on Sage vs. Farve is this. Right now, when both are 100% healthy, Farve is clearly the better QB.

But who expects Farve to be 100% healthy for the whole season and the playoffs? I certainly don't, especially when he hasn't had any surgery since the end of last season to fix the partially torn rotator cuff.

I'd expect his numbers to decrease as the season goes along, just like they did with the Jets, and it'll cost the Vikings when it's all said and done.

Supposedly he doesn't need to have the rotator cuff repaired, as he's had it for years.

Let's ignore that, too.

This way we can act like it's a foregone conclusion that the Bears are going to win the division!

I think you guys need to look at the Vikings schedule -- they're not going to hit a good team until like week 7 (Ravens) who have no offense.

I easily see the Vikings jumping to a 7-0 start.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 08:14 AM)
I didn't say the Vikings were going to suck, but all of the de facto clinging to Favre's dick is unwarranted.

Oh and Rodgers > Favre, sorry. Can't blame the lack of a QB for a decline in the RB's play.

Favre had the same RB, and played the first 6 games 2 years ago without him -- I think it was Favre that made that RB good, not the other wary around.

Nobody'a afraid of Rogers yet -- he's good, but nobodys afraid of him...so they're stacking the box, whereas with Favre they loosened it, hence the RB appearing better than he was.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 08:18 AM)
What's this have to do with the Bears? Get off that.

Everything.

You sound like the typical Da-Bears fan with your obvious bias.

It's actually funny, keep it going!

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
Favre had the same RB, and played the first 6 games 2 years ago without him -- I think it was Favre that made that RB good, not the other wary around.

Nobody'a afraid of Rogers yet -- he's good, but nobodys afraid of him...so they're stacking the box, whereas with Favre they loosened it, hence the RB appearing better than he was.

Did you see Rodgers's numbers and watched him play? Dismiss him if you want, I'm glad you're not a DC in the NFL. I don't get why people are still doubting him, the dude's for real.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 09:19 AM)
Everything.

You sound like the typical Da-Bears fan with your obvious bias.

It's actually funny, keep it going!

The hell are you talking about? I haven't brought up the Bears a single time in this thread. Why would I be biased if I just said Aaron Rodgers is the real deal? Consistency please?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 08:21 AM)
The hell are you talking about? I haven't brought up the Bears a single time in this thread. Why would I be biased if I just said Aaron Rodgers is the real deal? Consistency please?

I've been a Packer fan for decades, so yes, I've watched him. He has talent...too bad he's a FA soon.

Also, he's not very good under game time pressure. As soon as it's the 4th quarter he has shown a lack of ability to make a comeback...until he does that, he's not going to be called the successor, at least not by me.