Why Chris Getz Injury Is Good for the Sox

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
Exactly, Nix had 65 plate appearances at the major league level, and was sent down and then preceded to hit .303 in AAA with 17 homeruns and 51 RBI’s, thereafter he went on to contribute to the US Olympic team before having to drop out of the tournament after fouling a ball off his face.

Yet you hold against Getz what he did the first 65 or so AB in his career. Nix is hitting .228. He's not very good.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 07:56 PM)
I make it 8.2 runs on defense and 7.5 runs on offense. So in significantly less playing time than Getz, Nix has been worth 16.7 runs or approximately 2 wins more than him.

But he's not a grinder so he couldn't possible be better :insert perplexed emoticon here:.

All this is a moot point. We fans can say who we prefer. But in the end, the sox will play the best guy they believe give them the best chance to win. IMO, Getz should get the most time at 2b. When Getz is healthy, the Sox staff seem to agree that he deserves the most AB's this year over Nix.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
The argument is who is the proper second basemen, right now. Getz’s evolution as a baseball player appears to be more long-term then anything. Right now, defensively and offensively Nix is the better developed player, and therefore, would contribute more in the race for the division this year.

Ozzie and Company seem to disagree with you. Take it up with them.

I also don't get the working theory that Nix is a defensive whiz and Getz is a hack who can't catch a cold. By my eyes and the stats say Getz isn't a big drop off from Nix. Getz has a .983 FPCT and Nix has .978 FPCT at 2b. If Getz was that bad at 2b, Nix would come in as a late inning defensive replacement in close games. That hasn't happened, except for some pinch hitting.

Ozzie and Company seem to disagree with you.

So? That doesn't mean they are right.

Take it up with them.

This and "If you know so much, why don't you manage the team?" are the worst arguments out there. You obviously can't "take it up with them". Horrible argument.

I also don't get the working theory that Nix is a defensive whiz and Getz is a hack who can't catch a cold. By my eyes and the stats say Getz isn't a big drop off from Nix. Getz has a .983 FPCT and Nix has .978 FPCT at 2b. If Getz was that bad at 2b, Nix would come in as a late inning defensive replacement in close games. That hasn't happened, except for some pinch hitting.

Using fielding percentage to judge a players defense... ugh.

I give your post 5 out of 5 facepalms facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif / facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif

Edited by son of a rude

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 01:56 AM)
So? That doesn't mean they are right.

This and "If you know so much, why don't you manage the team?" are the worst arguments out there. You obviously can't "take it up with them". Horrible argument.

Using fielding percentage to judge a players defense... ugh.

I give your post 5 out of 5 facepalms facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif / facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif facepalm2.gif

It's up to the Nix backers [like you] to prove your case that he should start over Getz. Make it. I've seen sarcasm but not a decent case that Nix should get more AB's than Getz, at least from you.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
Yet you hold against Getz what he did the first 65 or so AB in his career. Nix is hitting .228. He's not very good.

Nix is also pulling his own weight defensively, walking, hitting home-runs, and essentially doing everything, but hit for a high average which is a statistic that is pretty much meaningless given that he’s doing all of the aforementioned things. The numbers don’t lie. Nix is the better player, by a fairly wide margin. I don't care how many hits per AB's he has. I care what he does with the hits that he has.

It's up to the Nix backers [like you] to prove your case that he should start over Getz. Make it. I've seen sarcasm but not a decent case that Nix should get more AB's than Getz, at least from you.

OPS and far superior defense isn't a decent case?

Edited by son of a rude

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 08:04 PM)
Nix is also pulling his own weight defensively, walking, hitting home-runs, and essentially doing everything, but hit for a high average which is a statistic that is pretty much meaningless given that he’s doing all of the aforementioned things. The numbers don’t lie. Nix is the better player, by a fairly wide margin. I don't care how many hits per AB's he has. I care what he does with the hits that he has.

Getz was helping the Sox before he got hurt. I think he's the better player. One thing to keep in mind, its pretty doubtful Nix will maintain his home run pace.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 01:10 AM)
OPS and far superior defense isn't a decent case?

Maybe I missed your argument, and just saw your quips, but I didn't see a well thought out case from you that others have made on behalf of Nix. "Far superior defense" is a little vague. If Nix's defense was so superior to Getz, then Getz would be replaced in the field by Nix every time the sox had a late lead. The Sox staff know the strengths and weaknesses of both players far better than us. Getz isn't a liability in the field that people seem to think he is

I think the sox can do better than Uribe reborn. I like Nix as a bench player, but not as a starter.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 01:04 AM)

As a bench player filling in for an injured player, I agree, Nix is doing a decent job. But he shouldn't be a starter on a team that has playoff aspirations. His weaknesses will be exposed with regular playing time. Those 3 k's vs. Grienke weren't an aberration. They'd be a textbook way to pitch to Jayson each AB, come crunch time in big games coming up. Nix can't handle a breaking ball low and away--eerily reminiscent of Juan Uribe.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 10:06 PM)
"Far superior defense" is a little vague. If Nix's defense was so superior to Getz, then Getz would be replaced in the field by Nix every time the sox had a late lead. The Sox staff know the strengths and weaknesses of both players far better than us. Getz isn't a liability in the field that people seem to think he is

I think the sox can do better than Uribe reborn. I like Nix as a bench player, but not as a starter.

This organization has started Ken Griffey Jr and Rob Macoviak in CF, defense has not been its priority since the Ozzie era began. Also, I continue to hear “Getz looks pretty good on defense to me,” but the numbers prove otherwise. This is an argument between stats and the eye test that goes far beyond the respective values of both Jayson Nix and Chris Getz. Regardless, Nix “looks very good to me” at second, the numbers back this up.

Maybe I missed your argument, and just saw your quips, but I didn't see a well thought out case from you that others have made on behalf of Nix. "Far superior defense" is a little vague. If Nix's defense was so superior to Getz, then Getz would be replaced in the field by Nix every time the sox had a late lead. The Sox staff know the strengths and weaknesses of both players far better than us. Getz isn't a liability in the field that people seem to think he is

So because the White Sox don't sub in Nix late in games, that means that he isn't much better than Getz defensively? That is extremely stupid. All the statistics say that Nix is a much better fielder. You can keep thinking that he isn't just because the white sox don't sub him in late in the game.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 09:18 PM)
So because the White Sox don't sub in Nix late in games, that means that he isn't much better than Getz defensively? That is extremely stupid. All the statistics say that Nix is a much better fielder. You can keep thinking that he isn't just because the white sox don't sub him in late in the game.

You put way too much stock un UZR ratings. Nix has made plenty of gaffes this year in the field.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 09:22 PM)
UZR is the best statistic for judging defense at most positions. Range and getting good reads are the most important part of fielding IMO.

And using UZR ratings Alfonso Soriano was a premiere defensive LF 2 years ago and an average to slightly above average one last year. Range is a hard thing to judge without eyeballs.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 03:18 AM)

No facts or reasoned argument but only insults? Nice. Less than a month on the board. Not good.

If Getz was the liability you seem to think he is, the Sox would sub Nix for him late in games. Teams do it all the time for better offensive players but weaker defenders. Getz isn't that weak.

No facts or reasoned argument but only insults? Nice. Less than a month on the board. Not good.

If Getz was the liability you seem to think he is, the Sox would sub Nix for him late in games. Teams do it all the time for better offensive players but weaker defenders. Getz isn't that weak.

I figured you read that article that was posted and just didn't understand UZR, but here it is anyway.

Nix UZR is 4.6

Getz UZR is -3.6

Nix OPS is about 100 points more than Getz.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 03:32 AM)
I figured you read that article that was posted and just didn't understand UZR, but here it is anyway.

Nix UZR is 4.6

Getz UZR is -3.6

Nix OPS is about 100 points more than Getz.

Again, the insults, huh? That will get old real quick.

Rickie Weeks' UZR is 4.9. Let's put him at 2b. Juan Uribe's is 4.8. Stats can be deceiving. But some facts don't lie like hitting 40 points higher. I think the sox can do better than having another Uribe at 2b fulltime. Getz may be the answer. But Nix certainly isn't.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)
But some facts don't lie like hitting 40 points higher.

Let’s say Chris Getz came back from injury tomorrow. He's walk onto the field gets 4 hits in 7 AB’s, each one of these hits is a single. In the other three AB’s he strikes out. He's now batting .571. Now, let’s say Jayson Nix comes to the plate. Goes 2-6 with a BB, but each of his two hits were home-runs. Jayson Nix is now batting .333. The 1st batter, Getz, is batting about 230 points above the other batter, but in this instance the second batter has driven in (at least) two more runs then the higher-average player. Thusly, it doesn’t really matter how many hits per ab’s you get, instead it matters how impactful the hits that you do get are. Furthermore, Nix’s real value lies in his glove. The offense, if any, is a happy surplus.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Uggh. Getz and Nix are utility-caliber infielders, not Presidential candidates. Harboring ultra-strong feelings about one at the expense of the other seems a little silly.

Plus, I don't think that we've seen enough sustained major league at-bats from Nix yet to make an informed decision about him. He's shown really nice power and excellent plate discipline, but his BB/K ratio isn't as low as it was in the minors so it may be an aberration. If he can keep drawing walks, he'll probably be our starting 2B next April. If he regresses to his minor league BB/K ratio, he'll be our utility guy next year.

I don't know why the argument is so serious. If Nix figured out his true potential, the former 1st round pick blows Getz out of the water as far as upside. But "potential" doesn't mean results all the time. I love Getz and he's the grinder you need on the team. Getz is more of the disipline, base stealer, average, OBP guy and Nix is the power, defense, XBH, OPS guy. IF Nix put it all together you can basically put him in the bank as a right handed Chase Utley (with probably lesser speed though a good % and a bit lesser disipline). But that doesn't mean he'll figure it out. If Getz puts it all together well, he could be a Mickey Morandini (not as much on the average or power) type player. Same ordeal.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 21, 2009 -> 12:26 AM)
Why do we need a grinder on this team? I'd prefer someone who plays plus-plus defense and can hit for power.

We have enough power guys already, and in fact enough 200+ homer years, so it's always nice to have alittle speed threat which KW is changing the course of. I agree with you on Nix though. But I'm saying every team has a Chris Getz type player on it, and Getz can definitely get better being also a year younger. We don't have to have every player at every position hitting 20+ homers.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 20, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
Why do we need a grinder on this team? I'd prefer someone who plays plus-plus defense and can hit for power.

Because hitting .230 and having zero speed on the bases is typical of the inconsistent station-to-station type of player that has resulted in this team sucking ass with RISP for the past few years.

If the Sox lose both Dye and Thome next year (or if Getz continues to stay in the .320 OBP range), Nix in the lineup would make a lot of sense. On the other hand, if the Sox maintain some of their veteran slugging power going into next season and Getz is able to inch his OBP closer to .350, he's our new leadoff hitter.