Peavy Rehab #2 and 8/18 Games

Brian

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 10:56 PM)
Brady Shoemaker went 2-4 with an RBI 2b. The kid's begging us to pay attention to him. I know i'm listening.

I have no idea why a guy with a 1.028 OPS is still in Bristol. They are 15 games out of first. I would hope the sox brass would make room for him somewhere in a promotion.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 10:58 PM)
I have no idea why a guy with a 1.028 OPS is still in Bristol. They are 15 games out of first. I would hope the sox brass would make room for him somewhere in a promotion.

There's not long left in the minor league season. It's not really worth it.

As someone said above, Phegley is really starting to turn it on. I think at the very worst he profiles as a good hitting backup catcher who wouldn't be a hole in the lineup if you put him at first occasionally, especially against lefties.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
.432 obp with his type of athleticism makes me a happy Rowand.

The more I hear about Mitchell, the more I think of Tony Phillips. I have no problem with a leadoff hitter hitting .240 so long as he gets on base at .400 and steals 30 bases while putting up an .800 OPS.\

If anything, the only thing I would miss was the spitting every 3 seconds. No man on earth spits more than Tony Phillips.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 19, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
The more I hear about Mitchell, the more I think of Tony Phillips. I have no problem with a leadoff hitter hitting .240 so long as he gets on base at .400 and steals 30 bases while putting up an .800 OPS.\

If anything, the only thing I would miss was the spitting every 3 seconds. No man on earth spits more than Tony Phillips.

In fairness, it's still way to early to make those comparisons. Mitchell hasn't played baseball exclusively and is less advanced than most college draftees. He was drafted because of his tools and that he had the upside of a high schooler, but with a little more experience.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
People need to realize what this is. This is Peavy getting his work in. Working on control, his secondary pitches. Not exactly the same thing as a big league game. I wouldn't get worried or excited about results good or bad. This is like people worrying about a ST start in Arizona.

The MLBN guys showed his first inning (I believe it was Dan Plesac and Joe Magraine at that point) and they did an excellent job of breaking a star MLB pitcher minor league rehab down. Basically they said don't look at a box score and judge the outing. They also said it is hard to work on specific things because the minor league guys are usually geeked up and attacking early in the count (like the guy who got the double in 1st)

He walked none, K'd 5 and threw more strikes than balls, as long as there was no physical set back it was a positive outing IMO

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
Yep, and he should be stealing every time he gets on base. I don't care if he triples...steal home!

I wouldn't be shocked if the Sox have given him orders not to steal. A lot of teams do that with speedsters to prevent them from getting injured and to just have them focus on other aspects of the game.

Not sure if that is the case with Mitchell or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.