Trib's Rpt

LDF

The White Sox announced Monday that Ron Schueler, the team’s general manager from 1991-2000, has resigned from the organization to pursue other interests.

Schueler, who held the position of senior vice president/special consultant to team chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, had a contract with the Sox that would have ended after this season.

"I want to thank the great sports fans of Chicago, the employees of the Chicago White Sox and Jerry Reinsdorf for 12 tremendous years," said Schueler in a press release from the team. "I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Chicago, from the exciting teams in the early 1990s, to the 1993 division title, to the very special 2000 season. I cannot express enough appreciation for everything and to everyone in Chicago and with the White Sox."

Schueler was the key architect of White Sox division champions in 1993 and 2000. In his 10 years as general manager, the White Sox were 817-734 (.527), the fourth-best record in the majors over the span. The Sox finished first or second in their division in eight of his 10 seasons.

"Ron Schueler deserves a great deal of the credit for helping orchestrate a decade of winning White Sox baseball," said Jerry Reinsdorf, chairman of the White Sox, in the same release. "I talked Schu into staying with us for one extra season as general manager in 2000, and it turned out to be a very special year. He has spent the past two seasons as a special consultant to me, and I appreciate all he has done for this organization, his commitment to it in the past and his contribution to its future success. I wish him all the best and cannot ever thank him enough for all he has done for the White Sox and for me personally."

Schueler lives in Arizona with his wife and two stepdaughters. Two other daughters live in Chicago.